Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Escapade- August 72 Flying Models- help

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Escapade- August 72 Flying Models- help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escapade- August 72 Flying Models- help

Well, it seems that I didn't kill off ALL of the brain cells.

My Dad used to buy me "Flying Models" magazines, I studied those mags for hours. One design stuck in my head- the Escapade- a pattern airplane from the August 1972 edition. I think that this was my first identification with pattern aircraft.

Does anyone have a copy of the original article they could scan and pass along as a PDF?

RFJ??

Carstens still has the plans available, I would like to take a fresh look at this one and see if it would be worth pursuing as a "something different" project..

Thanks,
Robert
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Escapade- August 72 Flying Models- help

I'm afraid that I don't have that issue. The only one that I have for 1972 is July (so close)! Where did you find those plans? I looked in RC and the only logical sub-category is Sport but could not find anything there.

I'm just curious about what the plane looked like, if you could point me in the right direction,

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Hi Robert,

I remember that model. Was it designed by Gene Rodgers? I don't know why but that name sticks in my head.

The AMA Library has every magazine and with the info you have you can contact them and for a modest price they will either copy or scan the article and send it to you.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
KLXMASTER14

The plan is available from Carsten's publications (Flying Models) plan #CF270. Very straightforward design that should come in about 6 pounds. Perfect for an OS .55AX or an Evo.60 (small block).

And this is the best part- it is a classic that is a TAILDRAGGER!!!!

-Robert
Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 AM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Robert,
I have the magazine and will be glad to send you a copy of the article.
What does Carstens get for the plan these days? By the way, TonyF was
right - the Escapade was a Gene Rogers design. Great recall!!

You can either PM me your address or email it to: [email protected].

Glad to help another vintage design fan.
Craig
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM
KLXMASTER14

Craig,
Thank you. One of the other members here hooked me up. It was a trip back in time. I was 9 years old when I first read that article. The plans (#CF270) are $11 ($19 delivered) from Carstens pulblications. I have a set on order.

-Robert
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I remember studying that article myself. The way he did the cockpit and canopy was used a lot back then and it fascinated me. It also bucked trends with the conventional landing gear. Everything then was trike. If you would send the article to me I would appreciate it. My email is [email protected].

I just got the magazine for another model that really interested me. It was in the January 1976 issue of Model Builder. The model was flown in the 1975 Worlds by the designer Tore Paulsen. It was a Pattern Spitfire. I got in to pattern at the very end of 1975 with a Lanier Jester. I spent that winter building a Phoenix VI but almost built that Spitfire. Unfortunately Bill Northrop recently passed away and I'm not sure of the status of all the Model Builder plans he sold. I'm sure at some time they will become available again and I'll have to get that Spitfire.