Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Interesting gift!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting gift!!

A friend of mine brought by a little gift for me. He picked up a lot of planes from an ol' boy that is not as active as he used to be, and these were in the mix. About all he knows about them is that the guy that built them is gone... and he thinks they were scratch built. I believe that from the build, methods, and some of the hardware that they are from the 70's, but the servos suggest 80's.. the red one has not been completed, and the yellow one has very low time. They are beautiful and I am proud to have the red one. Thank you Double D!!

Anybody know anything about them?

BTW, I love the pilots! They are identical except one is smoking a pipe and the other a cigar.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54918.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1772125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80236.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1772126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86761.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1772127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63873.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1772128  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Interesting gift!!

Blake,

those are very cool looking! Definitely 70's designs possibly built in the 80's. What kind of radio gear is in them? The covering also looks interesting. Transparent but not quite. It is not MK nor UC I suspect although I'm not familiar with transparent UC. Do you know what kind of covering or finish was used?

Nice sheeting work dating back in style to the late 60's I believe.

Except for the tail feathers and barn door ailerons, there is something Super Pacer like about them. How big (span/length) are they?

David
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are Miles Reed's designs from Canton, OH. I know, I flew with him. I have one built from plans two years ago. The one on the right was built by my Dad in 1971 and it still flies. Mine is on the left. Great fliers w/ .61 sized engines. Dad's has a Webra Speed .61, mine has a Rossi .60. Have fun with them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24637.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	1772668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62084.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1772669  
Old 06-17-2012, 01:37 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

What is much fun to read here is about planes that the (present) owner do not know what plane it is, it's real name.
And it amaze me that most planes are identified in the end. This one was quickly identified.

And what was fun with pattern flying and building in the past was all the "original" designs that probably did not have any documentation at all, just schratch built maybe with some notes and wing templates as documentation for the build. If one read in old model magazines many planes are listed as "original". I suppose some of them has survived into our time and when such plane appear here for identification it will probably be hard to tell it's name. But it is fun to read about all the unknown planes that get identified and a name.

/Bo
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 AM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bo
He used to "kit" them in the early 70's. You just went to his house and picked up some sticks, sheet balsa and plans, thats it. I have the plans for the "Instantaneous" and everything is laid out on the print. He even shrunk the plane to a .40 sized that used 48" sheeting for the wing and 36" sheeting for the fusalage. I have built several of the smaller ones. They will do the flatest flat spins (sometimes all the way to the ground).
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!!! This is good info. I have been a zombie for the past two days, after completing the Compensator. Even though I have not measured it, I can tell you that it is definitely the forty size version. In fact, the fellow that gave me the plane flew the yellow one yesterday, with an LA 46. I have a NIB 40 sf abc, and 46 sf abc, and will use one of them. So, is this plane indeed legal for SPA?