Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

BlueJay Dirty Birdy outline is not accurate to RCM plans.

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

BlueJay Dirty Birdy outline is not accurate to RCM plans.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BlueJay Dirty Birdy outline is not accurate to RCM plans.

I purchased a Bluejay Dirty Birdy and have found that the re-engineering they have done has changed their Dirty Birdy fuse outline from the outline on the RCM plans. I suspect this was due to the need to re-engineer for a fiberglass engine mount and full firewall.

I will post pics showing the changes soon...

I am curious if the Fiberglass DB fuse is accurate with the BlueJay DB outlines.... I wouldn't thinks so, but maybe this is the difference?

I will be modifying my kit to reflect the RCM plans as I would think they would more accurately reflect Joe Bridi's desired product finish...

Brian
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
EscapeFlyer

Default RE: BlueJay Dirty Birdy outline is not accurate to RCM plans.

The wood in the kit is AMAZING- btw.

I won't be surprised to find all of it is contest balsa. And VERY clean cut pieces.

I am happy with the purchase. It is a good kit. I'm just a stickler for accuracy in the outline.

Brian
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you've got us all worked up....... when we gonna see some pics?

We're waiting !!!!

Frank
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
EscapeFlyer

I have to wait until I get home from work. I'll have to do it tomorrow.

Sorry for the cliff-hanger! [X(]

Brian
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
EscapeFlyer

Here we go:

You can see the outline of Bulkheads 1 and 3 are totally different drawings in the BJ offering. I think the only reason for this is so they can make the kit to accept a fiberglass motor mount.

Notice how flat the RCM bottom fuse is aft of the wing in Bulkhead 3 compared to the BJ offering.

I would imagine the rounded bottom fuse would help the Knife edge flight, but it is different from the RCM Drawing.

Lastly, notice the flat top in the RCM DB. The BJ kit rounds this completely off.

All of this is no big deal because it is EASILY remedied. I was surprised to see it though.

Btw- The left horizontal stab on the RCM plans is 1/8" off compared to the right horizontal stab. It's exactly like the BJ plans! Ha!

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15625.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1779366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58296.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1779367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68548.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1779368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73176.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1779369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45581.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1779370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35031.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1779371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77227.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1779372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb93189.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1779373  

Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well,

The basic problem I see is that virtually no tristock is used to contour the fuse. The glass mount per se doesn't need the section to be altered.

I redrew the internal structure for an easier lighter build but in doing so, I didn't change the side planform. The only area where I modified the planform slightly is with respect to the bottom forward of the wing LE in order to better accommodate our larger engines and corresponding spinner, fuel tank and retract.

It looks like it should be quite straight forward to notch the formers to introduce the tristock into the design.

Good spotting Brian!

David
Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM
dbacque

There is tri stock in the Bluejay kit (actually trapezoidal stock) but not in the nose area. But I have to wonder when these changes came about. Remember, the DB was produced for many years. My understanding is that the Bluejay plans are exactly as received from Bridi when the rights were purchased. I think the evolution happened earlier than Bluejay.

All that being said, there are some minor differences between the Bluejay plans/instructions and the parts delivered with the kit. There are one or two places where you are told to look for a part cut to a particular size but the kit now includes stock that you cut to length. Not a problem but you search in vain for the precut piece with the given dimensions. There are also top blocks that are different lengths. Again, not a problem and it builds up same as the plans but again, it sends you searching. These changes are listed in my instruction update http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9520759/tm.htm

There are also some interesting things on the Bluejay plans that point to them having been updates to earlier versions of the drawings. The hardwood engine bearers are removed from the engine bay but there are some lines farther back that make no sense. When compared to earlier plans, these lines turn out to be part of the engine bearers that they forgot to erase. I believe a couple of things like this were also pointed out in my instruction notes.

But my notes do specifically build to the plans and parts provided with the kit.

Dave
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TFF

What Bluejay is is the last Joe Bridi company. He would build a company and sell it; he would design something and sell it, but he would always carry the same designs with him with enough changes to not step on toes. Remember Great Planes started by buying out Bridi in the late 70's. Magazine plans would be the original while each iteration after and conversion to kit always dilute the designs.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
EscapeFlyer

dbacque- Pretty sure they used the RCM plans as their base- based on the reasoning you describe. Even the horizontal is identically off.

I think some the fiberglass fuse kits Joe put out differed to his wood built plans as well. If I'm not mistaken, I think the bottom of the glass UFO fuse, in front of the wing, does not drop as low as the RCM plans show.

Because of variations like that, I was curious if the BJ profile matched the Bridi glass fuse verses the RCM plans.

Magazine plans would be the original while each iteration after and conversion to kit always dilute the designs.
I will be modifying the BJ kit to build to the RCM plans- including the hardwood motor mounts... Just personal preference to maintain the original outline. I really can't tell you WHY this is so important to me, but I guess it is. The way I get to the outline doesn't bother me... as much. [8D]

Brian
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
dbacque

Brian,

Can't wait to see your results. Be sure to keep notes on the variations you find. There will undoubtly be others wanting to recreate the earliest versions of these classic airplanes. Do you have a source for the original canopy yet?

Dave
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM
EscapeFlyer

dbacque-

This is the best looking option I've found so far. I have it on order and it's on its way.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=608

Everyone....

I want to state I am in NO way thumbing my nose at BlueJay for this, or trying to paint them in a bad light. The kit quality is absolutely FANTASTIC! The wood is all VERY clean cut. It is an impressive company for sure! I did receive my money's worth in value. In fact, I hope to purchase more from BlueJay in the future. I don't know how they produce the quality so affordably. They can't be making that much money. These kits are amazing and worth every penny.

I am just one of "those" people.... Very picky about stupid things. And even here, it isn't that big of a deal as it is EASILY changed.

Brian
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Free Bird

Just an FYI, the canopy that Parkflyerplastics offer was made from an original canopy from a DB kit. Can't get much better than that.

FB
Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
dbacque

Oh wow, I wish that canopy had been available when I build my DB. Might be time for a mod!

Brian is right, the BJ kits are very nice. I'm flying my second one right now. The parts are beautiful, the wood is great and the fit is second to none. Such a deal!

Dave
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

The dirty birdi was redesigned by Joe Bridi when it wasdistributed through G&S Hobbies. I'll know more, when my kit arrives. Picked one up off of Rcgroups for $60.00 + $20.00 shipping.I was just about to put an order into Bluejay for their kit. $170.00 shipped to Canada.

The second picture of the plans are from the G&S kit (circa 2001), from another RCU build thread on the DB. These appear similar to the Bridiairplane plans.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94891.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1780072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79096.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1780073  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
EscapeFlyer

Wow Jim!!!!

Those look identical to the BlueJay plans!!!

Can we confirm this was a Bridi redesign and not a G&S redesign?

If anything else, the history of its evolution is interesting to me.

Brian
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Jim_Purcha

Brian, like the box says manufactured by Joe Bridi, distributed by G&S Hobbies. The pencil work on the plans look similar to my Bridiairplanes "Utter Chaos 40" which have credit "Designed and Drawn by Joe Bridi".

Jim
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 AM
EscapeFlyer

Brian, like the box says manufactured by Joe Bridi, distributed by G&S Hobbies.
Yeah.... Unfortunately, that doesn't mean much to me anymore. In the US, this can mean anything. There are no absolutes or literal interpretation here anymore either. Lawyers can construe that statement to mean I had ice cream yesterday.

It would take some trusted inside information to fully persuade me.

Brian
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Jim_Purcha

Well Brian, prior to the sale of Bridi Airplanes to Bluejay, Joe Bridi was still manufacturing his own line of kits (Killer Chaos, Utter Chaos etc). Some where I read he was using G&S Hobbies as a distributor for his kits at the time. Can't offer any further proof, unless someone from G&SHobbies spoke up (don't know who they were). Just take it as fact. I remember a MAN's article about Joe's garage operation. There were photos of cutting and sanding fixtures to make the parts for his kits. I believe the article stated that Joe was a trained cabinet maker, which is why his parts were machined cut and sanded to shape.

Jim

Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
dbacque

The plans for the Bluejay DB state:

Drawn by Joseph Bridi
Designed by Joseph Bridi

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the plans being used by BJ were the most recent update prior to Joe selling the designs to them.

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Free Bird

The only really bad thing about the BJ kit is the canopy, it's not even close to the original, hence having a mold made from an original DB kit.

FB
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
EscapeFlyer

I am not saying there is anything bad about this kit or its manufacturer. Quite to the contrary.

Dave- The plans and the box do say this. And the original was indeed drawn and designed by Bridi. This may have been changed by him personaly. But to say the Dirty Birdy was designed and drawn by Bridi is indeed an accurate statement. They can say this without inferring that changes were added by anyone else. They own the rights to it as I understand.

Not trying to stir the pot here. I just won't trust it untill someone on the "inside" can verify it. Even then, it doesn't change my opinion that I feel BJ has put out a great kit here.

The canopy from ParkFlyers did arrive today. It is Perfect!

Brian
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
dbacque

Again, I was told by the owner of Bluejay that the plans are as he purchased them from Bridi. Not "inside info" and at this point sure it's second hand news, but it's what I was told.

I just may have to order me up a new canopy and do a little surgery on mine!

Wait, wait, wait... There it's done. I've got a new canopy on order! Can't wait to make the update.

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
EscapeFlyer

Looking back on this, I sure made a FAR bigger deal out of the authorship details than I wanted to.

Good time to move on?

I did receive my canopy today. It is worth every penny! I sure wish Parkflyers, or someone, would make a canopy for the UFO too.

Brian

Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Free Bird

I did receive my canopy today. It is worth every penny! I sure wish Parkflyers, or someone, would make a canopy for the UFO too.

Brian
If someone has a UFO canopy and sends it to me, I can make it happen!

FB
Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
dbacque

Oh wow, I got home today and found a new Dirty Birdy canopy on my doorstep. This thing is great! I've been flying Dirty Birdies for years and I can finally have one with the right canopy. I can't wait to switch it out.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.