Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Who's running all synthetic fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 AM
niteman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running all synthetic fuel ?

I am seriously considering switching to all synthetic 10-15 % nitro blend fuels and was wondering who is actually running straight synthetic fuel currently and how do you like it ?

What brand ?

How clean is the inside of the motor after many hours of running ?

I ask because I run regular 15 % cool power castor mix currently and the motor is always carboned up (piston, sleeve, head, etc...) and would like to see if the straight synthetics keep the motor clean while protecting and doing its job. Makes rebuilds a cleaner job as well.

Appreciate all replys !

Dan
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Who's running all synthetic fuel ?

cool power all Syn. 25% nitro... runs great no problems and clean,
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Roguedog

Ah oh! Here we go again.

If your engine is getting all gunked up you are probably running it to lean or running it peaked out for maximum power so it's getting too hot..

Using Byrons/caster I had fifty runs on a 50FSR before a prop strike during a bad landing destroyed the ceramic bearings and in turn destroyed the engine. When I took apart the engine to see the extent of the damage there was no carbon buildup at all just broken creamicball bearings that dented the piston and head. In my case I always run my engine a few clicks rich for longevity and to keep the piston and liner for carboning up e.g engine running cooler. Had I not been lured into running ceramic bearings that engine would have lasted for ever.

As far as Castor or Synthetic, if you run a engine peaked or it runs lean regularly then it's going to carbon up. If this is the case with your engine you might want to put a little larger engine in your plane so that you don't have to run it so hard.

Another point you'll have to decide on is although the claims that synthetic does lube better and is cleaner than castor there is tendency for synthetic to destroy the engine during a lean run as compared to castor due to castors higher flash point. If your engine is already carboning up you'd probably wish you ran castor due to this higher flash point if your engine is indeed running on the peaked or lean side (too hot). IMO

Bryan
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I ran castor oil in my fuel for the first 24 years that I flew (starting in 1969). the amount of castor decreased over the years from 18% to 3%. In 1993 I started running all synthetic and have done so since with no regrets. I burn about 40 gallons per year (sometimes more) and have never had lubrication issues, though I am careful about needle settings. Typically, I get 300-500 flights on rear bearings (Hanno special, OS 140rx) and 50-60 flights on K&B1L plugs in the Hanno, more on the OS 'F' in the 140.
There has been some discussion about newer synthetic oils in the modeling press, too.
I am running S&W 15% (all synthetic) and have burned about 200 gallons to date with no problems.
-Will
Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Johnkpap

Depends on the engine:-

Vintage OS 60 Gold Head, Webra Black Head, ect 20% Castor ONLY

ASP 61 Engine (Hobby King) Use 20% syn fuel, Cool Power or any thing you like its a $60 engine, Easy to replace.

Most moden engines have no problem with syn oil,

I just keep it away from my vintage engines.

This is my own opinion I am trying to help :- not looking for a castor v Syn war

Johnkpap
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johnkpap

Depends on the engine:-

Vintage OS 60 Gold Head, Webra Black Head, ect 20% Castor ONLY

ASP 61 Engine (Hobby King) Use 20% syn fuel, Cool Power or any thing you like its a $60 engine, Easy to replace.

Most moden engines have no problem with syn oil,

I just keep it away from my vintage engines.

This is my own opinion I am trying to help :- not looking for a castor v Syn war

Johnkpap

I 100% agree here. If it's an ABC engine I run a blend. If it's a modern engine then all synthetic would be fine. Example is my Rossi . 61 3+2. I only run Powermaster 20/20 synthetic/castor blend. Yes it has been reworked to run the higher nitro. I use it in a pylon warbird and not a pattern ship.