Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Clean Up Your Building Area ?

This may be off topic, but asking a question. When pictures come up of someone doing a build, I look at their work area. Some very nice builds come out of a work area that is a total mess. I'm not bragging, and am not the best builder in the world, but when on a project, I just keep shoving things aside, and tunnel vision on the model. Once in a while, I will just put everything I do not need anymore, trash or cabinets/shelf. My project will rise out of the ashes of dust, epoxy cups, paint cans, tapes, glass cloth left-overs, like something just born.

Crank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Clean Up Your Building Area ?

I am convinced that maintaining a clean work area during a build is just as much an art as the build itself. Few people have that "gift" I guess. I know I wish I could do better.

Brian
    N Central Regional Director
    Classic Pattern Association

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Putting stuff up means you have to go farther to get it back on the bench. I tend to have 10 interests going on at once, being entertained by them all. Some people can focus on only one thing, and something as small as a washer not in its place is a distraction. I have had friends who have built like they were doing open heart surgery, and some who's shop looked like one of the hoarder's shows. Both kinds turn out great airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

During the week my workshop seems to 'fill' with clutter, a ten second job here requires those tools, they're used and put back in the room, but on the bench or something like that. This goes on throughout the week till finally I can't find the bench or any of my tools. I then blow my stack and tidy up. Rinse. repeat.

Recently though I just had my new Mythos arrive, and prior to bringing it home, I "nested". I cleaned EVERYTHING as a way to await the new arrival.

The biggest problem is though, now that everything's all nice and put away in it's own little home. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!
    Go knife edge your cub!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vince, one of the best things I have found to help me control my clutter is little clear plastic bins. I write the contents title on masking tape and even a single item now has a home. I have several rows of wire shelving full of these bins. Other than that my workshop is normally a mess.
    David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David - Usually I have organized mess, plastic bins, best idea for parts to a single project. I do straighten up frequently. I have found a great deal for mixing sticks, 1000 for $4.95, at a store called Michael's Arts & Crafts. Folgers Coffee lids from the small containers great for epoxy, etc. You can use them over, just bend the lid with dried epoxy, it peels right off. Thre is a lot of lids from Yogurt, etc., that go out in the trash, great for our hobby.

The restaurant guys have a slogan: "A clean kitchen makes no money".
    Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11544.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1797178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48606.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1797179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd82910.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1797180  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah what about the beer bottles, and popcorn
    Scott Anderson - CPA #2 - www.ClassicPatternAssociation.com - Team Airtronics SD10G - NSRCA 529 - VRCS 236

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I put stuff away, I can't find it. I usually clean up the shop when I throw something against the wall and it slides down the slope onto the floor Well, maybe not quite that bad but close

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WHHhhhaat!

There's people who actually clean up their build areas? If thats the case then I guess mine is organized koas.

I can't build anything without a lot of cussing due to the fact thatmy build table is covered with 16 differents projects, most of which have nothing to due with RC and 15 of which never get done. Hmmm. I thought everybody built this way. Go figure.

Bryan
    Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crankpin

David - Usually I have organized mess, plastic bins, best idea for parts to a single project. I do straighten up frequently. I have found a great deal for mixing sticks, 1000 for $4.95, at a store called Michael's Arts & Crafts. Folgers Coffee lids from the small containers great for epoxy, etc. You can use them over, just bend the lid with dried epoxy, it peels right off. Thre is a lot of lids from Yogurt, etc., that go out in the trash, great for our hobby.

The restaurant guys have a slogan: ''A clean kitchen makes no money''.
    Vince

I take those popsicle sticks and cut them in half, but on a diagonal, so I have a long point with which to man-handle and stuff epoxy into tiny areas. It also means i get two goes at it.

Go knife edge your cub!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HD electricians pliers with the wire cutter on the back of the jaws, best for cuttin the sticks. It leaves a bevel on both sides of the cut. Good tip Renegade.

Crank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All my stuff is relatively organized. I found it was costing more out of my hobby budget leaving crap piled all around the shop than it did keeping it organized. I kept buying stuff then 2 days later I'd find something I just bought. As far as the mess... I usually work on a project and when my bench hits a point where I have to look for the last tool I used and dropped in the clutter for more than 5 minutes I take the time to clean up a little.