Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Need opinions on Mach One

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need opinions on Mach One

May pick one up soon, looks in ok condition and has retracts. How do these fly overall? Fast? Hold knife edge well? Snap well? I'm flying a Super Kaos currently with fixed gear and my only complaints are I wish it was a "little" faster and would hold knife edge and a cleaner snap roll. Otherwise it is very smooth and lands slowly.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 AM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need opinions on Mach One

It's going to be faster than your Super Kaos with the thin leading edge, but should be nothing to worry about...lands at a reasonable speed. Thing to watch for is weight. The original Midwest kit had you basically build a balsa log and whittle a fuselage from that. Unless the builder was careful, it was easy to wind up with a brick. As with just about every plane, you may want to use some minimal mixes to get the thing to trim out to your liking.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Norm Page won the Nats with it, so it's defintely a competitive design. IMO the best-looking Pattern Plane of that era.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
RFJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Norm Page won the Nats with it
JC,

Don't think he ever did - still a fine design though

Ray
Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your are right Ray. The Mach One had a very impressive list of wins at major Pattern contests...but didn't win the Nats.
Here is more info.
[link]http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/467098/Kf13935.pdf[/link] http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...98/Kf13935.pdf
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

Mach 1 - You will love it. I had one back in 1970th. Large wing area so even if it getslittle heavy it will fly fine. And it is fast with good 60/61 engine (I had Rossi 60 side exhaust in mine and later a Rossi 61 rear exhaust and with this later engine it was fast as an arrow in thesky).

Read more here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99..._1/key_/tm.htm

Norm Page won 1972 Masters with Mach 1.
He competed at 1973 World Championship with his Mach 1 and placed 5th.
The best flyer here in my country in 1970th flew Mach 1 to several national and nordic titlesas well as competed in Tournament of Champions with his Mach 1.
It was one ofthehottest F3A planes in 1973-1977 or so I would say, at least in my country. I flew my Mach 1 in Swedish F3A Championship 1978, just as Curare started to be popular (so I also built one that year and competed with it the following year).

Mach 1 is not designed for snap rolls, it was designed to fly the FAI pattern maneuvers that was in use in 1970th pattern hayday era that will never come back.

Strange no Chinese ARF maker will make a Mach 1 ARF today - it would probably sell like hotcakes.

/Bo
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Bijan999

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the information guys. That article was really helpful and insightful. Really interesting how the author said they fly better heavy! (He preferred an 8-9 lb. plane over sub 8lbs) Well, I ended up buying the Mach One today. It's pretty rough and needs a complete sanding/repaint and I may strip the wing and re-monokote it as well. It has Rhom-Air retracts and (very) old servos so those will be replaced as well. Only gave $50 so I didn't do too bad. Plane feels fairly heavy even without the engine but wow, it's a sleek, beautiful plane overall. I'll post up some pics soon.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 PM
N1EDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking forward to it....
BOb