Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

1978 FAI Champions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1978 FAI Champions....

Would anyone have info on the 1978 FAI Championship competition?

I want to know the models flown and those who flew them.

Any link to a listing that could provide this info for as many years as is possible would be appreciated. I am not having much luck on the search engines or AMA.....

If not, any inside info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM
gkaraolides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1978 FAI Champions....

Please see the attached file. I think I found it on the South African F3A Aerobatics team's website, or a related site which I can't recall. It lists the F3A World Championship results of the members of the South African team for every year from 1960 to 2007, but it also lists where the Championship compeition took place and who the top three were, so it's quite useful. It doesn't list aircraft or equipment though.

You ask about 1978. The World Championship is held every two years and there was a 1977 and a 1979 World F3A Championship, not 1978.

The years you are interested in are right in the middle of the era when Wolfgang Matt of Liechtenstein and Hanno Prettner of Austria dominated the top two places (except for '81 when Prettner had broken his hand and couldn't fly). In those years, Matt flew the Atlas ('75, '77) and then the Arrow ('79,'81), which was basically a revised Atlas with a rear-exhaust engine and the tuned pipe semi-enclosed along the top of the fuselage. Prettner flew the Curare (in '75, it was one of the first models using a tuned pipe exhaust; he won with it in '77) and the Magic (he'd designed it for '79, when he ended up missing the competition, and won with it in '81). The Magic was basically a revised Curare with a rear-exhaust engine mounted inverted and fully enclosed, a complex exhaust header routing the exhaust internally from the underside to the top of the fuselage, and a tuned pipe fully enclosed inside the top of the fuselage.

The real classics are the two earlier and simpler models, the Atlas and Curare. Because they don't have the complexities of rear-exhaust engines and enclosed tuned pipes, and are proven, championship-winning designs, a great many were built, and still are being built, by pattern enthusiasts. Kits and/or foam wings and/or fibreglass fuselages are available for both. In the States, there is Eureka (Atlas and Curare wooden kits with option of built up or foam wings and stabilisers) and RCIIAIR (Atlas kit with foam wings and fibreglass fuselage, also available separately, Curare kit to be available soon). In Europe, there is Sega Sunshine (fully composite Curare kit) and Bitmodell (Curare kit with fibreglass fuselage and foam wings). Schweighofer in Austria sell a Curare ARF with both electric and glow power options, personally endorsed by Hanno Prettner.

G.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge95726.pdf (176.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This helps me move forward! All info is important to me.

1978 would relate to US Nats... I was interested in both Nats ans FAI. I was confusing with my Post. My apologies.

Thank you.

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think back then they had a Masters tournament to decide who got on the team, wasnt chosen at the Nats
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

gkaraolides, do you have more info about Hanno Prettners hand, how long was he not flying? what dates ??? I was taking a break from the hobby during that time and missed it. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
gkaraolides

Hi Ron,

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick

gkaraolides, do you have more info about Hanno Prettners hand, how long was he not flying? what dates ??? I was taking a break from the hobby during that time and missed it. Thanks
In the attached RCM&E article about the Magic, which was written after his 1981 World Championship win in Acapulco, Hanno Prettner only mentions his "inability to compete" in the 1979 championship. I recall reading somewhere else about him injuring his hand. Sorry not to have more concrete information.

Best regards,

G.