Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dalotel Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dalotel Build

You said this would be different and it is, I like what your doing.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: proparc

What are the dimensions and specs for the 60 size Dalotel?

Thanks

Milt,
When did you move to Texas?
Chris...

Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: proparc

What are the dimensions and specs for the 60 size Dalotel?

Thanks
It's going to be 60" length and 62" span. I'm hoping for no more then 8.5 lbs. Power is a Rossi .60 FIRE 3+2 that I have been using for pylon racing. I was able to get it to turn an APC 11X11 at 13,500 on the ground. It still has good manners, the only thing I will change is to go back to the 10mm carb ( Has a 12mm now ) and add a Cline regulator. It should do well with a 13X8. I have a set of Aluminum Hobbico mechanical retracts I will most likely use. Not sure about servos yet. May go with a Hitec 225MG on each aileron and elevator and a 5645 on rudder. It's a pretty small airplane so it won't need a ton of power.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM
proparc

How did you know I moved to Texas? I relocated in 2011. Still with my CL stunt but, I will be replacing 72mz Futaba six with a new 2.4 gig unit. You won't believe this but, within 30 days of hitting town, I was out in a flying trimming CL stunt ships for the local flyers LOL.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SRT,

While you're going over your equipment plans for the bird, what are you planning for the flying surfaces and decks? I take it you will be doing foam but I was curious about you choice of skins and any other structural elements you may add to them, if any. Will you be depleting the 1/16" balsa some more?

David
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
speedracerntrixie

David, the plan it to use cut foam parts for the turtle deck, hatch, canopy ( yes canopy ) wings and stab. All will be sheeted with 1/16. I have to get motivated enough to pull the Rossi 60 out of my warbird race plane and then I can see what bends the header is going to require. Don't want to get too far on the fuse build until the pipe is sorted out.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
doxilia

Well, that raises an interesting question (same as the one I just had in drawing up foam cutting templates for some fuse decks):

How or can one cut compound curve foam parts such as a canopy? Maybe the foam can be milled but I didn't think the hot wire technique would allow an arc to be cut in foam in two directions simultaneously. If I'm wrong, I'd love to see how it's done!

David
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

we cut turtle decks out of foam all the time and sheet them....

I'm thinking a canopy could be done also with the right templates.

s.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
speedracerntrixie

Turtle decks can be a challenge. the tough part is the aft section because of the size differential. What I tend to do is extend the bottom of the rear template to minimize the differential then trim the excess off the bottom after sheeting. The Dalotel canopy is fairly unique as it has no compound curves. I will cut and sheet the main section making it a little long then cut a small section off, taper the rear edge of the smaller section and use it for the front of the canopy.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Turtle decks can be a challenge. the tough part is the aft section because of the size differential. What I tend to do is extend the bottom of the rear template to minimize the differential then trim the excess off the bottom after sheeting. The Dalotel canopy is fairly unique as it has no compound curves. I will cut and sheet the main section making it a little long then cut a small section off, taper the rear edge of the smaller section and use it for the front of the canopy.
Of course, what was I thinking! I guess I was stuck with the idea of a canopy such as the one on a Chipmunk or a CAP which would be a challenge (if at all possible). The Dalo is comparatively straight forward being uniform in height with identical arcs at each end - nice.

As I was drawing a rear turtle deck foam template (for our Chippy project on RCG), I was just wondering about the height and arc length differential between the front and rear. The wire must travel that much less in the back. I wonder if one could device a variable temperature wire length such that the rear cuts at a slower rate than the front, then the differential wouldn't be so much of an issue. Maybe it is easy to solve with a "dummy" block of foam on the underside of the rear deck which provides an equal path length to the front template cut as you're suggesting I think.

David
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

we cut turtle decks out of foam all the time and sheet them....

I'm thinking a canopy could be done also with the right templates.

s.
Scott,

Here's a scenario: suppose the fuse under the deck you want to cut has an airfoil shape to the sides. How do you track that airfoil in the foam when you cut with a front and rear template? Sort of tricky to produce with a taut straight hot wire.

That's what I meant by a two dimensional arc - or an arc in two planes.

David
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
PatternPilot

what about making the Tdeck in 2 pieces (half) then glue the 2 together.. I remember we did this on a strange shape Tdeck.

scott
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend campaigned the same engine in Pattern 18-20 years ago. Simply stretched the pipe and turned a 12x12 apc at 11K or so. That engine definitely has the brass beans to haul that much prop.

A 60"x62" plane at 8 1/2 pounds might be a bit heavy. Hopefully it can be turned out lighter
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM
speedracerntrixie

Matt, I have been running the engine with the pipe length plug to end of stinger at 26". It pulled my 6 lb race plane well enough to win a local championship this season. Have to raise the bar for next season so I have a Rossi 90 FIRE on the way. Hate to waste a good engine , the Dalotel build seemed like the logical way to go. Yes 8.5 lbs may be a little porky and I will try to get her as light as I can but remember that the engine is heavy for a 60 and then add in the pipe, retracts and 6 servos. It all adds up fast. Not sure how I want to finish it either. I do a pretty darned good job with Monokote but I have a guy at work who is an absolute master with silkspan and dope. He has won several CL concourse awards and won once at the AMA model show. He has offered to have me bring it over when framed up and he will teach me all his secrets. The only problem with that is it will take longer to finish as it does to build. Difficult offer to pass up so I will most likely go that route.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
doxilia

Given the construction techniques planned and the gear and finish proposed, I'll venture she can be brought in at 7.5 - 8.0 lbs. it is roughly the same dimension and construction of a Calypso which I know will be in that ballpark.

Also, at least two of the servos can be minis and two can be micros.

David
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Fuse sides are out of the bag and final sanded. The vertical fin is cut to shape, firewall and only fuse former have been cut as well. Next is to start on the pipe tunnel parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49206.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1830293  
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
doxilia

Yup, interesting. The wing tube center section provides another "former".

Is that reinforcement to the fuse sides where the tube goes, ply or glass? Or something else?

David
Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, I have been running the engine with the pipe length plug to end of stinger at 26". It pulled my 6 lb race plane well enough to win a local championship this season. Have to raise the bar for next season so I have a Rossi 90 FIRE on the way. Hate to waste a good engine , the Dalotel build seemed like the logical way to go. Yes 8.5 lbs may be a little porky and I will try to get her as light as I can but remember that the engine is heavy for a 60 and then add in the pipe, retracts and 6 servos. It all adds up fast. Not sure how I want to finish it either. I do a pretty darned good job with Monokote but I have a guy at work who is an absolute master with silkspan and dope. He has won several CL concourse awards and won once at the AMA model show. He has offered to have me bring it over when framed up and he will teach me all his secrets. The only problem with that is it will take longer to finish as it does to build. Difficult offer to pass up so I will most likely go that route.
Jim Aron?
Chris...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Yup, interesting. The wing tube center section provides another "former".

Is that reinforcement to the fuse sides where the tube goes, ply or glass? Or something else?

David
David, It falls under the " Something else" LOL I make up alot of composite plates of various materials. I currently have some 1/16 balsa that has glass on one side and Texalium ( Silver CF) on the other side. That will give the structural support for the wing tube and will be used in various other places. The pipe tunnel is also strucural.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jim Aron?
Chris...

Ever hear of Larry Fernandez?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed,

Well, 25-30 years ago we built and flew 8 1/2 pounders all the time with 700 sq inch wings. In the days of glassed balsa. I agree tho, a (well done) silkspanned / doped covering is hard to beat for lightness, including the plastic films. A painted finish is always the first thought and usually the last. The only thing against it is lack of durability.

On the pipe, as I recall, exhaust flange to reflector baffle length was round 17"!? Never measured it to stinger. As late as 20 years ago, most 60's tuned like that could haul a 13x10 at around 10K. I was partial to the 12x12 apc tho on the YS60. The YS 60 short strokes always seemed to run better for me and the Rossi 60 ran better for my friend. I guess it's what you get used to and like.

I am a bit curious about how one these classic birds would work with a current day 15 cc piped petrol engine. I am almost tempted to try it

Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM
doxilia

Matt,

if you were to try it, which 15cc engine would you favour?

David
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

Made some good progress today. Got the fuse all framed up with the pipe tunnel floor. My scale took a dump so I don't know the weight but it feels pretty light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67485.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1830901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53807.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1830902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77157.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1830903  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM
PatternPilot

pipe tunnel looks like what we did on the Viper from Dennis Hunt it was the backbone of the model.

s.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
PatternPilot

All the 15cc engines I found are all out of stock... not a bad price $ 202.00

s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.