Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Skylark 56 – 1966 Flashback - Build

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Skylark 56 – 1966 Flashback - Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Scaleisticdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Skylark56 Single

Hi John,

Id just like to say I cant believe how small the world is! I am excited that you responded, and so quickly. I walked out with this thing and really felt I had something special. The AMA at the show didn't know anything about it and either did I. A group of guys I met in the elevator on the way out just said that looks like an old skylark. It wasn't until I cam across the plans on the internet a couple of days later with Jess's name in the plans did I start to realize what it was. I just wanted to pick up something a bit different than just anything new for sale, and perhaps a R/C vintage plane, not expecting the grandfather prototype of a low wing .46 size sport trainer so many of us STILL, grow up with. It was seized absolutely solid and looked like a bag of hammers and I watch many people look at it and keep going. (I will send a couple of pics to show what it looked like when I got it.) The sticky film of castor and what ever else was on it, and cause there is no residue in the cracks of the dope which has dried out suggests this has not run for several decades. I don't think it would crazy to suggest that you may have been the last to fly it, afterall, the original reed components are still in it, and why not convert to proportional, as I believe that started on the market the following year for the most part.

I am in my late 30s and the first thing my friends and I noticed was the attention to fine finishing of sanding and pin striping which is painted and masked and aerodynamics of this plane. Today we just slap a .46 on a plane like this and usually the rudder is chunky and has the dynamics of a brick compared to it.

Keeping it original,
all I did is clean the covering, removed the motor to clean and baking soda blasted the casing which preserved the original casted finish. Some say to dunk it in boiling water with dishwashing detergent, but it will darken the aluminum because its so corrosive. The main landing gear was missing so I made it however I think its about an 1/8" too low. the front gear and wheel is original. Lastly the ply engine mount was very weak despite it being coated in epoxy so I traced out an exact replica, epoxied and installed it, and bought a spinner. It is the original antenna and is still connected into a connector block were the receiver end fits into.

Thanks for the info on the radio, It confirms it obviously and it would be really nice to come across a F&M 6 channel as you can believe I will be looking for to complete this thing. Amazingly the hinges are still strong and dispite the more fragile covering it would take a calm evening flight no problem, however I don't have intentions to do it even though I haven't had any crash for years this is too unique.

I live in Milton Ontario Canada (just outside Toronto) and the Weak Signals Toledo show is about a 4 hour drive. I will be going this april for sure.

Adam

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_231400.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	2197793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_203934.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2197794  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Scaleisticdude

Here are some pics of what it looked like when I got it before cleanup.

And a recent shot of the other side.

I am glad you got a kick out of it, a lot of the guys at my flying club have too! Hopefully you can come to Toledo this year I will have to bring it if that's the case!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_122836.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2197798   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_122918.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2197799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_123330.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2197800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_124910.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2197802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_231422.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	2197803  

Last edited by Scaleisticdude; 01-22-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam,
If you're planning to attend Toledo this year, your Skylark would be a welcome addition to the Vintage R/C display tables. The Vintage R/C category is sponsored by the Vintage R/C Society. http://www.vintagercsociety.org.

The Bonner Duramite servos are reed relay operated so a transistorized 6 channel reed receiver would not work. Each servo would need an amplifier as the later Transmites used.

I'm sure all of us here appreciate your good fortune and I would hope to see it on display at Toledo. Congratulations on acquiring a fantastic example of early R/C. If you decide to bring it, have a short write up on how you acquired it and it's background. Those of us old enough to know will appreciate your airplane.

Mike

Last edited by Michaelj2k; 01-23-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Scaleisticdude

HI Mike,

I would be glad to. I will be planning to be there for the Friday at the very least. Please note also I don't think the email is working as I am not a US Citizen but this thread does. Also, the Recievers say on them " Bonner Transmite neutralizing transistorized relayless servo", so the plane doesnt have Duramites, which as you say work for the relayed systems. Who knows maybe an old F&M system will be at Toledo upstairs That would be sweet.

Thanks Mike and to me, Its a big part of history in our hobby, and its not just a copy. (all you have to do is smell it!..haha) I should mention that also the twin engine was there for sale, but another lucky fellow and his son took that home. The AMA posted it on there website with a picture about the sale. It had Carl Goldbergs name tag and his address. It also had that unusual flare at the bottom of the rudder like mine, which is not on the plans, and instead of the dark colour being very dark royal blue on mine, it was jet black. Unfortunately , with what the plans say it would be hard to prove if it was the first twin or not, due to the name tag. But I believe it was the first or last prototype since they were so exact, but cant say for certain. It had two Cox .09's if I remember correctly.