Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Skylark 56 – 1966 Flashback - Build

Nice cleanup Mike. You can barely tell its used from the outside now.

Quite interesting that your engine has the carb intake offset to the right. I recently bought a ST S29 with the classic silver round head and it also has the intake offset. I have two other S29's (one square and one round head) and their intake is centered. It's really the first time I've ever seen a ST like that. Yours is now the second and I've seen a few ST's over the years.

That's a very compact 46 sized engine. I wonder how the power compares to a Webra 32 or 36. Speaking of which, I located a 36 as an option for the little project I'm working on. If interested I can post some weight comparisons when I get it. How much does the G21 weigh with carb but without muffler?

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Nice cleanup Mike. You can barely tell its used from the outside now.

Quite interesting that your engine has the carb intake offset to the right. I recently bought a ST S29 with the classic silver round head and it also has the intake offset. I have two other S29's (one square and one round head) and their intake is centered. It's really the first time I've ever seen a ST like that. Yours is now the second and I've seen a few ST's over the years.

That's a very compact 46 sized engine. I wonder how the power compares to a Webra 32 or 36. Speaking of which, I located a 36 as an option for the little project I'm working on. If interested I can post some weight comparisons when I get it. How much does the G21 weigh with carb but without muffler?

David
    David,

It did clean up pretty well but it has a few scars here and there, nothing real bad. Over the years I’ve learned a few tricks on the cleaning process and getting the statin finish back. It is a very light 9.75 ounces! A OS 46AXII is 13.3 ounces. Because of their size and weight these G-21s have always been a big deal in the control line world. People still do that!!

I know Supertiger used the offset intake on some of their other old engines too. I think the side intake has something to do about crankshaft rotation and air flow.

The original owner said he bought it new in the mid-70s and it was rebuilt a couple of times, so we will see how it works out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Test mounting the new (used) G-21 and checking out carb and throttle linkage clearance.

To be continued…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67853.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	1857153  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had to cut the top 1/4” off of the nose gear mounting block to get clearance for the front of the tank to be positioned lower. I also beveled the holes in the firewall to make a smoother turn for the fuel lines.

To be continued…

Name:	Mk27153.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	1857154  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 8178

The muffler Supertiger G-21 46 showed up today. The before and after clean up pictures are below. Externally it showed a lot of use but the piston looks almost new and the bearings feel good. Hard to tell though until it is run. Three head fins were slightly bent but that was an easy fix.
    P
    I had to cut two of the mounting bolts off by cutting into the side of the mount and cutting them off.

To be continued…
    Great job on the cleanup. Would you care to share some of your secrets?
    My first 40-size engine was a G21/46, circa 1973. That was a great engine and pulled my Andrews A-Ray just fine.

After many years of running Super Tigre engines, I found that they performed best when the fuel outlet was aligned STRAIGHT DOWN the throat of the carb. Looking at the pictures, it appears the your new engine may have the fuel inlet mis-aligned. You might want to check it.

Jim
    Jim Johns
    Old Pattern Junkie
    AMA 9520
    SPA L23

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Small world. My first 40 size engine was a ST S40. Bought at a great hobby shop in Milan called Movo. I bet they're still there.

1982 if memory serves.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim,

I use the products shown below.

In the case of this engine, I took the carb and muffler off and cleaned everything with 409 while scrubbing it with a toothbrush. I do this with the intake and exhaust port closed. This cleans off all the easy stuff and shows the areas that are going to need work. There were a few bent fins on the head, but because it is a machined part I was able to use a small thin screwdriver to adjust them straight. This might not work on a cast head.

With the intake and exhaust port closed, I then sprayed it with Dawn Power Dissolver, but I don’t let it just soak. Wearing latex gloves, I start scrubbing with a toothbrush right away so it does not stay on and discolor the aluminum. I rinse it off in real hot water, check for stubborn spots and keep at them until they are clean.

Next, using a toothbrush I scrub the satin aluminum and brass areas with the copper cleaner. I use a circular motion and keep working with it to get a uniform satin color. Then rinse it with real hot water and dry it.

For all the aluminum polished areas like the side of the head I use the aluminum polish to shine it up.

When I’m done I load it up heavy with the automatic transmission fluid through the intake and exhaust and get it soaked in real good to displace any water that might be left. I then removed the back plate to drain it all out and checked the inside. I would not use the transmission fluid on any pump engines.

Before putting the carb back on, I opened the needle valve, pressurized it with fuel and let some run through.

I’m sure there are a lot of ways to do this. In this case the engine was in pretty good shape and I did not see any advantage for a compete disassembly.

To be continued…

Name:	Hf10088.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1857266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36005.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1857267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22629.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	1857268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49849.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	1857269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd90763.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	1857270  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info as I have several I need to clean up.

Jim
    Jim Johns
    Old Pattern Junkie
    AMA 9520
    SPA L23

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Johns

After many years of running Super Tigre engines, I found that they performed best when the fuel outlet was aligned STRAIGHT DOWN the throat of the carb. Looking at the pictures, it appears the your new engine may have the fuel inlet mis-aligned. You might want to check it.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. Right now the two screws that hold the barrel are very tight and I don’t want to break one off. I may need to run it as is and if needed work on getting the screws loose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Small world. My first 40 size engine was a ST S40. Bought at a great hobby shop in Milan called Movo. I bet they're still there.

1982 if memory serves.

David
    I expect the Supertiger G21 was a first 40 – 46 engine for many people back then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yippee, we have 10” Skylark 56 canopies! http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=666 Keith said it came out great!

That single thing is really going to be a great finishing touch to make it a Skylark. I should have one in a few days!

To be continued…

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim
    Thanks Jim. Right now the two screws that hold the barrel are very tight and I don’t want to break one off. I may need to run it as is and if needed work on getting the screws loose.
    Yup, you definitely don't want to break off the screws! If it runs and performs well, I'd probably leave it alone. On second thought, no, I wouldn't because I'm anal about that kind of stuff.

BTW - I just unearthed my Super Tigre G60 Bluehead yesterday. It's been stashed with a kit for heaven knows how many years and it will need a complete overhaul and new bearings before it can be run.

Jim Johns
    Old Pattern Junkie
    AMA 9520
    SPA L23

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim
    Yup, you definitely don't want to break off the screws! If it runs and performs well, I'd probably let it be. On second thought, no Iwouldn't, because I'm anal about that kind of stuff.
    Jim Johns
    Old Pattern Junkie
    AMA 9520
    SPA L23

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yippee, we have 10” Skylark 56 canopies! http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=666 Keith said it came out great!

That single thing is really going to be a great finishing touch to make it a Skylark. I should have one in a few days!

To be continued…
    Mike,

I'm glad it worked out. Keith does good, fast and reasonable cost work. Hard to get all three in this day and age.

Thanks for posting your cleaning technique. Can I assume the Dawn is an "Easy Off" strong base type product? That stuff cleans just about anything but like you say you got to watch it as it will otherwise bore right through the case.

When in high school I remember the chem lab pictures of what strong acids and strong bases did to skin. The former causes a nasty surface burn but the latter drills a nice clean hole through your arm. I decided to respect bases more than acids back then. I eventually partially lost my long distance vision from a base fumes reaction. Of all things dicloromethane was involved. Nothing less than a biproduct of the fuel for our engines..., methanol.

Settled on the color scheme yet? You're getting close!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Come to think of it, the G21 series must have been the big brother series to the G20 15/21/23 series. The cases are if the same design but the G21's must be a tad larger.

What sizes of engine were built into the G21 cases aside from the 46? Perhaps a 29, 35 and 42?

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim
    Yup, you definitely don't want to break off the screws! If it runs and performs well, I'd probably let it be. On second thought, no IΒ*wouldn't, because I'm anal about that kind of stuff. Β*[img][/img]
    I think I will give it a try as is.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

It is not quite like Easy Off but sort of has the same type of caustic cleaning effect. I remember trying Easy Off decades ago and it discolored stuff very fast if not immediately. The Power Dissolver makes metal shine unless you leave it on too long then it will discolor the metal. That’s why I don’t let it soak and use a tooth brush with it immediately. As soon as I have one area clean I wash it off and then just work on the other bad spots. You want to use gloves for sure.

I am very pleased with Keith and his work. My original canopy had a very slight depressed area on one side from it being packed in the kit box for decades and he removed the spot during the molding/plug process. I’m really happy that I will have a perfect canopy to put back in the kit and one for my build. The Skylark like many designs really need the original canopy to look right so I’m jazzed.

I’m not sure on the G-21 case. I’ve seen 40s but mostly 46s.

The RCU image upload is busted again. I guess it will always be like that here, limping along and never dependable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim
    Yup, you definitely don't want to break off the screws! If it runs and performs well, I'd probably leave it alone. On second thought, no, I wouldn't because I'm anal about that kind of stuff. Β*[img][/img]

BTW - I just unearthed my Super Tigre G60 Bluehead yesterday. It's been stashed with a kit for heaven knows how many years and it will need a complete overhaul and new bearings before it can be run.Β*

Jim,

I ended up taking the carb apart and polishing all the parts. Someday if RCU ever gets this site working again I’ll post some pics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys, I’ve struggled with RCUs reliability problems for years and I just cannot do it anymore. It is just too much work for something that I do for free. I now have images missing from the Skylark thread and have not been able to up load images for days.

I’ve moved all of my Skylark build to the other RC Groups forum and it is in the classic pattern section. I’ll continue the build there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skylark 56 modified project build complete and ready for first test flight.

The End . . . . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To be continued…

Perfect, I set my Skylark upside down last night to install the wing and forgot the weight of the plane was resting on the 35 year old canopy. And this plane doesn't look right without the Skylark canopy.

If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scottrc

To be continued…

Perfect, I set my Skylark upside down last night to install the wing and forgot the weight of the plane was resting on the 35 year old canopy. And this plane doesn't look right without the Skylark canopy.

There appear to be two different Skylark canopies. The 10” one is what was in my original Skylark 56 kit that has the original narrow nose. The other canopy that I have is the shorter canopy that I think may have been used in the second release of the kit that has the extra makings on the box that say it is a deluxe kit with hardware and a wider nose. Then there was the Mark II that had a completely different canopy that does not look like the first two.

• Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789