Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

That's a bummer on the landing gear. Which units did you end up replacing them with?

On the build, did you end up using the stock hardware?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
daggets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the first flight of my curare today...

It s equipped with the lipolice electric engine sold by Schweighofer, as well as the retracts... 5000 milli amps 6 cells battery from hk..
I did apply all the tricks recommended by hanno himself in the notice...

And you know what?

For the very first time in my life, i have a ship who does not need a single adjustment after the first flight!!
I was afraid that the plane wouln t fly straight during the loops, with the "big" 13/8 prop... but no effect...

The propulsion is perfecly balanced as they recommend it... no need for further power..

i flew for 10 minutes, consuming 70% of the battery... just like with my rossi tank!
!
The guys from Schweighofer did really care during the conception..

After the first fligth at my favorite airfield, all the guys has said "i'm happy to have seen that!!"

you have understanded that i m highly satisfied....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Huang
My Feedback: (27)

Wonderful! Congrats on the maiden!! Videos please

Can you share your motor/ESC/prop setup? How fast was it on level flight? I'm wondering how the electric compare with the glow given the much different power band / prop setup.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 AM
daggets

the lipolice engine looks very similar to the turnigy g 60 500kv....
i use this for the controller http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10331
prop is an apc (what else) special electric 13/8
on 6 s, i have no complaint with the speed...
it is slower than my 9 pounds ys 60 equipped curare, but not that much...
but , overall, because the electric curare is very much lighter, the performance during aerobatics is the same, except i did feel more comfortable with the throttle stick....it is also way easyer to fly ...

the electric curare flyes much better thant the one i have scratch builded myself, because its light and, i have to say, straight...

There was no need for mixes or trimming, that s what impressed me the most...
the building has been made without any problem, due to the conception.

At the field, all i had to carry was a screwdriver, to attach the wing and the canopy..
when i leaved, the plane was as clean as i came...

All i can say is do it like they say in the notice... They did really work hard to achieve the curare project, and it feel like a brand new bmw m3...if you try to improve, it will be worst..

I m not nostalgic any more of kato kits and rossi, this is like being in the mood again...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Huang

Thanks for the info daggets! Yes you got to love the torque of electric motors! Something in the 500kv range with 12x10 or 13x10 seem to be the sweet spot on 6S for the classic .60s.

Supposedly Hanno did the tests himself and spent quite a bit of time on to perfect the electric setup. This would be the latest release from him since the Mystic/Sensation in more than 20 years. We're quite lucky to have this!! And on one of his most famed designs to boot.

What I loved the most about my (glow) Curare since first flight was that it needed no trimming and zero mixing for knife-edge. It was just perfect from the start! If I did one again... well maybe it'll still be a YS-60. I guess I am still nostalgic for classic pattern!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
daggets

you have the right stuff!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 AM
computermonkey

Man you guys are making me wonder if I should have tried to purchase the Curare ARF instead of the Dirty Birdy ARF.

I fly off of a grass run way that is kind of short. My fear was the Curare wouldn't slow down enough to safely land. I know the DB is pretty stable at slow speed.

How did the Curare handle at the slower speeds? Did it want to snap or stall?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
stuntflyr

Monkey,
Have you had many Classic Pattern designs that wanted to snap or stall at proper approach speed in the past? I have 9 pound Tiporare that flies slower than many Warbirds at my field, straight as an arrow. I'm sure if I slowed it down too much it would stall, or drop a wing even, snap? I see people do that with ARF Warbirds but have never seen any ARF Classics doing anything near it. I've only seen one Dirty Birdy ARF, but dozens of Phoenix 7 ARF's and they all flew very well.
I doubt you'll regret your purchase. 
Chris...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 AM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: pvogel

Build went quick and cleanly. Unfortunately due to weather and my own idiocy (I had it on my list of stuff to check and forgot before setting up the ESC/BEC) I fried the landing gear control electronics with 8v (it's only rated for 6) so I got the gear replaced last week but was in Riverside for the contest this weekend and Dale's sprinter didn't have room for my dear departed Griffin AND the Curare so it hasn't had a maiden yet. Aiming for late this week.

Peter+

Dear departed Griffin, Pete?
Chris...

Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
computermonkey

The only one that I have flow is a NXS as far as pattern. I used to fly a Sig Kouger.

I like the looks of the Curare and Dirdy Birdy, UFO, Tiporare and so on.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM
daggets

the curare is equipped with very efficient flaps
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 AM
stuntflyr

I thought the flaps on the Curare were for decelerating during downlines and were integrated into the speed brakes but I've never really studied the system. I know they were integrated into many Japanese designs because of their small fields. The fields I fly off are 400 to 600 feet and I use less than half with my Tipo including approach and flare distance. 
No need for flaps as far as I've seen, slow the model with throttle and AOA early, then lead with a little power and nose high attitude out on downwind all the way around the base and final turn and it all comes together. With the big wings and thick section on these models I see little tendency to stall or snap suddenly. The tip airfoils are really thick.  Most R/C flyers (not Pattern people, they have it down) need to fly their models around the traffic pattern at minimum airspeed a couple hundred feet up for a few days straight to even know how close they are to stall. It helps one to trim their model too. (I sometimes spend the day flying up and down the X-axis line doing hammerheads or some straight reversal all day to try to be more accurate paralleling the runway and judging distance out because that is my weakness.)
When you are able to approach the runway in a curving final with the nose high and adding power because you detect a slight deceleration and knew it was coming anyway from the fact of a bank at slow speed necessitating more lift for the same descent, lift is drag, drag slows the model, and therefore to maintain energy you need more power, you're there. It's fun and satisfying.
Chris...
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Huang

The Curare should be just as easy to land. My Curare does not have flaps but still lands pretty much like any sport plane. The wind was blowing so hard last week it ripped off the first half of our synthetic runway. I landed fine using just the other half. I guess it depends on your approach but the plane itself is ok even on shorter runways.

The Arrow was the classic that I experienced which carried a slightly faster landing speed. But my Arrow had a 10 pitch prop and that probably contributed to it.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I want one of these!! Money and room are holding me back...It's great to hear the feedback and info...Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 AM
computermonkey

This is great information, Thank you very much and it is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: pvogel

Build went quick and cleanly. Unfortunately due to weather and my own idiocy (I had it on my list of stuff to check and forgot before setting up the ESC/BEC) I fried the landing gear control electronics with 8v (it's only rated for 6) so I got the gear replaced last week but was in Riverside for the contest this weekend and Dale's sprinter didn't have room for my dear departed Griffin AND the Curare so it hasn't had a maiden yet. Aiming for late this week.

Peter+

Dear departed Griffin, Pete?
Chris...

The right wing broke in half in flight, just past the end of the wing tube. (No, I wasn't attempting a snap roll, I was entering the 2nd of two consecutive loops and adding a little aileron to compensate for the wind at my back blowing the plane out when it made a horrible noise, slowed dramatically, and, since I was concerned something had gone wrong with the motor I dropped to idle and it went into a spin, the 1/2 of the right wing departed the aircraft (I thought it was the canopy until we found the canopy on the fuse in the wreckage) and I was unable to recover from the spin :-(

Peter+
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 AM
computermonkey

OMgoss
Please keep us informed on how the distributor is going to handle this.

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 AM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: daggets

All i can say is do it like they say in the notice... They did really work hard to achieve the curare project, and it feel like a brand new bmw m3...if you try to improve, it will be worst..

I m not nostalgic any more of kato kits and rossi, this is like being in the mood again...
My german is quite rusty, I've translated the notice as best I can can you clarify a few points?

1. the aileron differential recommended is that 35% less down than up or vice-versa, or is it 35% of full travel down when at full travel up (or vice-versa)? (i.e. 65% less travel)
2. In the table on page 5, are all the measurements in degrees except the rudder which is mm?

Thanks,
Peter+

Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM
computermonkey

Have you contacted Schweighofer?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM
daggets

differential means that the aileron going up must have a bigger travel than the one going down...
on the hanno tricks page, there is a printable gauge with the instruction for use....
you just have to use it, and you should set 12 up and 9 down, something like this...
right, the rudder is 60 mm right and left, as the measurement is easy, using the rudder fin as center...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
daggets

i m afraid that the Scorpion 4025-10 is quite too much powerful for the light Schweighofer curare...

with the g 60 500kv clone, i fly for 12 mn, with well enough power, on a 6s 5 amp pack...

this mean more than with my rossi equipped 9 pound curare.

on another forum, a nice guy from Schweighofer did alert people to do not use a more powerful engine as os 55 or the lipolice they recommend...(hanno is satisfied with that he said)

it is not a good idea to use a rossi 60 on this one, as it has been improved and optimised to be lighter than the original...

to be even better...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
pvogel

I'm familiar with what differential means, though it's not *always* more up than down, it depends a lot on the wing position relative to the thrust line of the model. For example, the 62" Osiris likes more down than up by about 1/2 a degree. (11 to 11.5 degrees at full throw).

Peter+
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
pvogel

The 4025-10 and the Lipolice motors are virtually identical other than max wattage and with a 13x8 prop I won't come anywhere near the 2000W rating of the 4025-10.

Peter+
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
daggets

ah ok, sorry,i ve read a thread of a guy used that engine on a missile...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Huang

Peter can you get a video when you get to fly your Curare?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.