Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kraft Bar-Fli

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kraft Bar-Fli

I had hoped to have this test flown before the snow, but this year it has come a little earlier than usual.

I got interested in flying some of the old pattern aircraft last year when I was offered a flight on a clubmate's Kwik-Fli. Rather than do a Kwik-Fli, I chose the Bar-Fli from about the same era. Phil Kraft described it as being a little small for contest work but really good in the wind and excellent for snap maneuvers. Had the WC in Corsica been predicted to be windier , he might have won with this rather than the Kwik-Fli.

Construction is faithful to the plans with one exception. I made a symmetrical stab rather than the plan's slab version, as I just like how they fly so much better. I did extend the wing an inch on each side as was mentioned in Phil's original article. Also, my canopy is a little larger and further forward, but that also fits with his description of versions built at the time. Covering is silk and dope, (too many coats!) and all up weight with the Enya 60III is 5 3/4lb, about 1/4lb over my target.

The colour scheme is from a racing P-51. I first used it in the late 70's on an Andrews Trainermaster and always found it easy to see.

So now, it's wait for good weather - probably April.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64921.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1835879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35472.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1835880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50193.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1835881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36676.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1835882  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Kraft Bar-Fli

Very Nice! Great job on the [link=http://www.google.com/search?q=miss+bardahl+mustang]Miss Bardahl[/link] checkers.

RG
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
proparc

Default RE: Kraft Bar-Fli

I maybe wrong about this but,stuff like this makes me believe that Classic Pattern is the best forum on RC Universe, (of course the RC car guys feel the same way LOL).