Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Bridi UFO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Jim Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi UFO?

While doing more basement cleanout, I came across this model that I'd bought at our local auction some years back. I didn't give much thought as to what it actually was at the time, but after reading R_G's "My Wood &Foam Bridi UFO Build" thread I think it might actually be a glass Bridi UFO. I measured everything and compared to the specs in the UFO Building Manual I downloaded. They are VERYCLOSE, right down to the sweep in the trailing edge. The tuck at the bottom of the canopy sceams "Dirty Birdy family" to me.

What do you think? Is it an UFO?? Regardless, I see some retracts and a piped OS 61 FSR or SF in it's future!

I also discovered something else - two NIB Hatori 650 pipes!!

Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25186.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1838928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90028.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1838929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42049.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1838930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74456.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1838931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47124.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	1838932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86525.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1838933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km97214.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1838934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14449.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1838935  

Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bridi UFO?

100% UFO!

Swept wing and stab, vertical fin & rudder, anhedral thick stab, longer fuse than DB. That about does it.

Plus the signature wing/stab tip design. Also the Bridi square glass mount gives the kit make away.

David
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Dang Jim how much more do you have to dig !!! And do you need any help ...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Pattern One
My Feedback: (73)

BlueJay Airplane Kits just released a wood kit version of the UFO. Mine was delvered today. FYI.

Leo
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
doxilia

Sweet!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pattern One

BlueJay Airplane Kits just released a wood kit version of the UFO. Mine was delvered today. FYI.

Leo

"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation.
We never left one up there!"

Are you sure about that Leo? What about Voyager? Thirty years later, it's still talking back from the outer reaches of the solar system. Which makes me marvel at its electricity generation andbattery technology, soaked in near absolute zero temp for a generation. Incredible thinkers created that spacecraft...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
doxilia

The best young minds came to in the 80's...

David
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think a better question would be: 'how big is your basement???'

Please continue reporting your discoveries!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: dphill2

OK,

I just had to clean the a mouth full of soda off my keyboard after reading that post.................................[X(]

David
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jim Johns
While doing more basement cleanout, I came across this model that I'd bought at our local auction some years back. I didn't give much thought as to what it actually was at the time, but after reading R_G's ''My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build'' thread I think it might actually be a glass Bridi UFO. I measured everything and compared to the specs in the UFO Building Manual I downloaded. They are VERY CLOSE, right down to the sweep in the trailing edge. The tuck at the bottom of the canopy sceams ''Dirty Birdy family'' to me.

What do you think? Is it an UFO?? Regardless, I see some retracts and a piped OS 61 FSR or SF in it's future!

I also discovered something else - two NIB Hatori 650 pipes!!

Thanks for any help.
Yup, that's a UFO all right! Nice find!

I had a glass UFO kit years ago and never built it, sold it instead! That was a big mistake! []

Wouldn't mind having those Hatori pipes!

RG
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Jim Johns

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: dphill2

OK,

I just had to clean the a mouth full of soda off my keyboard after reading that post.................................[X(]

David
Yeah, I had the same reaction David!!

Sorry RG, I think I'll hang on to the pipes. Now to find appropriate headers.

BTW - does anyone have a PDF of the UFO plans? I still have to complete this thing and get it flying.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Jim Johns

OOPS - double post!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
doxilia

BTW - does anyone have a PDF of the UFO plans? I still have to complete this thing and get it flying.
Yup, I believe I do. I just don't think I have the plans of the glass version but they are basically simplified wood plans.

I'll post em soon. Gotta get some dinner in me first.

David
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Jim Johns

That would be great David. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
doxilia

Jim,

here you go.

I had to scale them back up as I had reduced them for the UFO 25 CAD project I did a coupla' years ago. I remembered the span to be 64" but according to the new wood UFO released by BluJay from these same RCM plans, the span is 65-1/4" so that's the scale of this plan. Fuse length comes out to 59.5" (spinner tip to rudder TE). I checked against the scale at the bottom of the plan and it is accurate.

Save as UFO 60.pdf

Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pn35837.pdf (1.90 MB, 111 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Jim Johns

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Jim,

here you go.

I had to scale them back up as I had reduced them for the UFO 25 CAD project I did a coupla' years ago. I remembered the span to be 64" but according to the new wood UFO released by BluJay from these same RCM plans, the span is 65-1/4" so that's the scale of this plan. Fuse length comes out to 59.5" (spinner tip to rudder TE). I checked against the scale at the bottom of the plan and it is accurate.

Save as UFO 60.pdf

Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

David
Many thanks, David. That's exactly what I needed.

Question about getting this printed full size. I've never done that before so what's the process? Is it as simple as putting the file on a flash drive and taking it to a printer? Any suggestion on where to have this done? Sorry to ask all these newbie questions.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
doxilia

Yup! Take it to Kinkos or your local repro shop. Printers are 36" wide typically so it'll print fine. It's just like printing a letter size PDF, just bigger. Make sure there is no scaling on output, that is, print at 100% scale (1:1). Put a ruler on the printed scale at bottom to confirm proper printout before leaving.

David
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

The nose and tail are the giveaways. Nice find! Keep it light! By the way, the black Macs muffler works well with my SF on the Birdy and it's very light. Tony

Name:	Om32300.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1839172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76899.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1839173  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Jim Johns

Well, I confirmed that the plane is a UFO today - I unearthed the plans! I took them to Kinko's, had them scanned to a PDF and a fresh copy made. I also had a full size print of the wood plans printed - that sucker is 69" long!

Since David was so kind to post the plans for the wood version, the least I is post the plans for the fiberglass and foam Bridi HHooby Enterprises kit in hopes it may help someone else out. If you'd like to print it, it's about 16x36.

Sorry for the orientation, but I don't have software that will rotate it into landscape format.

Attached Files
Qo40373.pdf (434.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
doxilia

Since David was so kind to post the plans for the wood version, the least I is post the plans for the fiberglass and foam Bridi Hobby Enterprises kit in hopes it may help someone else out. If you'd like to print it, it's about 16x36.

Sorry for the orientation, but I don't have software that will rotate it into landscape format.
Jim,

thanks for scanning and posting the glass fuse/foam wing plans. I'm not sure why they gave you a reduced scale scan but I took the liberty to scale them appropriately and level them out horizontally. The paper size of this plan is now 62x30. It doesn't need to be as long as the wood version since there aren't all the former and rib details on it.

A 1:1 printout of this plan should match your built model. The wing span on the plan is exactly 65-1/4" as it is on the wood plan I posted.

BTW, there is an error in the annotations for the pushrod exits on the tail feathers. The location of the rudder hard point is also incorrect as it would cause the control horn to potentially interfere with the elevators. The plan shows a Brodak type C/L elevator differential horn which is presumably concealed within the fuse, however, dual glass exit outlets are also shown for dual elevator pushrods. I guess a little concept tidy up was in order when the plans were drawn. The BHE Deception plans also contain errors so it wasn't uncommon.

David

Attached Files
Om31970.pdf (1.31 MB, 79 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Jim Johns

Jim,

thanks for scanning and posting the glass fuse/foam wing plans. I'm not sure why they gave you a reduced scale scan but I took the liberty to scale them appropriately and level them out horizontally. The paper size of this plan is now 62x30. It doesn't need to be as long as the wood version since there aren't all the former and rib details on it.

A 1:1 printout of this plan should match your built model. The wing span on the plan is exactly 65-1/4" as it is on the wood plan I posted.

BTW, there is an error in the annotations for the pushrod exits on the tail feathers. The location of the rudder hard point is also incorrect as it would cause the control horn to potentially interfere with the elevators. The plan shows a Brodak type C/L elevator differential horn which is presumably concealed within the fuse, however, dual glass exit outlets are also shown for dual elevator pushrods. I guess a little concept tidy up was in order when the plans were drawn. The BHE Deception plans also contain errors so it wasn't uncommon.

David
Thanks for the help, doxilia. Kinko's scanned, copied and gave me EXACTLY what I gave them - a 1/2 size print Just like the one that came with the kit. I guess Joe Bridi figured that with the glass fuse you didn't need full size plans.

You are correct on the Brodak type C/L elevator differential horn and it's included in the kit. I found it in the same gallon size zip lock bag as the plans, along with various small pieces and ONE main landing gear wire (fixed gear). And no, it does NOT go inside the fuselage - the tail post is covered in solid fiberglass. Regardless, it will have pull-pull rudder and a dual elevator pushod when I get through with it. I'll have to create another rudder cable exit as there's only one molded into the left side of the fuse. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the hat.

I looked over the plane more carefully today and the previous ownner/builder didn't do such a hot job of aligning the stab in the fuse - it's cocked or rotated with right tip low. My tools are all boxed up so I couldn't check the incidences.

It appears he was planning to use fixed gear. As you can see from the pictures I posted, the wing is already joined and fiberglassed and has fixed gear blocks in place. I'm going to have to wait until I can do some more measuring to be sure how I'm going ot proceed.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM
doxilia

I looked over the plane more carefully today and the previous owner/builder didn't do such a hot job of aligning the stab in the fuse - it's cocked or rotated with right tip low.
Probably the single hardest thing to do on a pattern bird with a glass fuse and anhedral stab. It took me several hours to be satisfied with the latest alignment I did (a Tipo 720) before permanent fixing.

David
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Jim Johns

Probably the single hardest thing to do on a pattern bird with a glass fuse and anhedral stab. It took me several hours to be satisfied with the latest alignment I did (a Tipo 720) before permanent fixing.

David
Truer words were never spoken!!! I just got back from Kinko's with my full size print.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:16 PM
kilohertz

Default Anyone still around that participated in this thread 9 years ago?

Hi guys,

Getting back into RC flying after a 15 year hiatus and am digging out all my pattern planes, kits etc. I forgot I had this UFO kit, it's been started by someone and looks like most parts are there, needs a LOT of work to complete. There are no plans or build sheets included and I am wondering if someone recognizes the kit and may have plans etc. for it? I included the only remaining piece of label on the front, maybe the colors look familiar??

Anyway, it will be a good winter project, along with all the others.

Thanks!

PS just found some plans for it that looks similar, looks like it may be a Bridi Hobby Enterprises kit from way back...??

Cheers

Name:	IMG_2999.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2272023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3009.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	2272024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2272025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2272026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2272027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2272028  
Old 07-29-2022, 06:17 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yup,
That’s a BHE UFO kit. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.