Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dalotel

Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Dalotel

I've been looking into this classic pattern. My question is mainly focused on events in California and from what I have seen they may not be super rigid on what they are considering a classic pattern airplane. I'm considering a build of a 62" or so Dalotel powered with a piped .60. Obviously I would hate to do the build and then be turned away from a contest. My thought is that if it were built to what the AMA pattern rules were back in the early '80's why would it not be legal to fly in todays classic pattern events? Thanks for inputs.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dalotel

The Dalotel is not on their list but if it was produced and flown before 1976 (may not be the exact wording) then you can petition to have it added to the list.

Tim
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I've been looking into this classic pattern. My question is mainly focused on events in California and from what I have seen they may not be super rigid on what they are considering a classic pattern airplane. I'm considering a build of a 62'' or so Dalotel powered with a piped .60. Obviously I would hate to do the build and then be turned away from a contest. My thought is that if it were built to what the AMA pattern rules were back in the early '80's why would it not be legal to fly in todays classic pattern events? Thanks for inputs.
Bring your Dolatel to the CPA events in CA and you will have all kinds of grown men drooling all over that sucker!

No doubt you will be welcomed with open arms!!! (You can use the pipe and retracts too!)

There is no specified list in the Classic Pattern Association- there is the emphasis on the classic airplanes that flew the pattern one pass at a time, however. It is all about having fun. The main perameter is that the wingspan stays within 72inches (ish) or less. But if all you have is something slightly larger, you won't be turned away for that either....

Robert Fish (KLXMASTER14 on RCU) is a great CPA contact for your region.

Check out this site too: www.classicpatternassociation.com

Brian
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SPA has the pre 1976 rule..... NOT CPA......

Scott
cpa#2
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM
speedracerntrixie

Good news Brian. I didn't think there would be an issue but you never know. As things usually work, the more I think about it the more complicated it gets. Rather then have the the pipe hang under the fuse, I will want a pipe tunnel. This means pug-in wings. I have a cowl mold from when I built a Rogas Modell Dalotel so I will lay one up and then start making some drawings. Looks like the wings and tail will be foam, the upper nose and canopy will be glass. I think strigers for the turtle deck to keep some scale appeal. Then again may go foam. Gotta think about it more.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the Bridi Dalotel. It has plug in wings and the pipe tunnel.

Redesign that sucker, take out some of the fat, and she'll be sweet. Might have to scale down some too.

Might want to do a thread search for a design thread I started "TOC CAP 21". There's some Dalo info in there too.

David
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
speedracerntrixie

David, I had a Bridi kit at one time. Made a ton of mods including trimming it down to 2M and used a wing tube. Sadly never finished it, A bud of mine talked me out of it and the MVVS 1.40 twin I had for it. I have also had a Rogas Modell Dalotel that ended up being powered with a YS .91. Been looking for another Dalotel with no luck. I recently picked up an original Bridi Kaos built about 30 years ago and went out and flew it, had a blast. I have been considering a classic pattern airplane but being me I want something off the beaten path. A slimmed down Dalotel with retracts and a piped Rossi .61 is what comes to mind.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hanson daltotel with a Rossi .60 RE with an internal pipe. the engine is side mounted and the head and header is hidden in the cheek on the cowl. The pipe is inside the fuse in its own pipe chamber. A silicone tube directs exhaust goo out the bottom of the fuse behind the wing. It was bought from a member on here, hrrcflyer, and there are pics somewhere on this forum.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
speedracerntrixie

After a few days thought, I drew out enough of a plan sheet to get started. I have a good stockpile of Sig 1/16 contest sheet so I will be using as much of that throughout construction as possible. The fuse sides will be 1/16 with 1/16 vertical grain doublers. Formers will be 2 layers of the 1/16 with 2 oz cloth laminated between, The hatch, canopy , turtle deck and flying surfaces will be sheeted foam. Anyone up for yet another build thread?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10033.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1825882  
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM
PatternPilot

What is the size.. fuse lenght and WS.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

Length is 60" and span will be 62". Looking at about 650-700 Sq in and 7.5-8 lbs. The Rossi I have should pull it around well. I have been using it for Warbird racing and have been swinging an APC 11X11 at 13,500 on the ground. Will most likely set it up with a 13X8 for starters. Not sure what retracts to use, with plug in wings mechanicals can be a hastle so may go with electrics.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
PatternPilot

I had mechanicals on my LA2 with plug in wings very easy ! sending you a PM
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
speedracerntrixie

Usually yes but I am going to be running the engine inverted here and the retract servo would have to go where the pipe tunnel is.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
stuntflyr

I've been looking into this classic pattern. My question is mainly focused on events in California and from what I have seen they may not be super rigid on what they are considering a classic pattern airplane. I'm considering a build of a 62" or so Dalotel powered with a piped .60. Obviously I would hate to do the build and then be turned away from a contest. My thought is that if it were built to what the AMA pattern rules were back in the early '80's why would it not be legal to fly in todays classic pattern events? Thanks for inputs.

Dalotels are cool and if it's a 60 powered model on a pipe I don't see any CD telling you to take it home. Consider that Jon Carter, Tony F, etc will be running said contests, no way they're going to send you packing. Begging you to enter is more like it. Classic Pattern is not Senior Pattern, no list in CPA. SPA has a lis.
I like the idea, I like your Laser too. Build it and bring it to some contests.
Chris...

Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM
PatternPilot

No worries.. did some research and the Dalotel was flown in pattern competition in 1984.....

cpa#2
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

Chris, thanks for the support. I agree that Jon and Tony would not turn me away unless there were issues with other pilots. Being a CD means some politics after all. funny how things turn out though. Jon and I are members of the same club and have known one another for years. I first met Tony way back in '83 when we were both flying Schluter helicopters. At the time he was flying demos at the IMS ( Now AMA) show in Anaheim. Looks like I will be moving forward with the build. First task will be to clean up the cowl molds and lay up a cowl.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

No worries.. did some research and the Dalotel was flown in pattern competition in 1984.....

cpa#2
If memory serves me correctly, that was a Hanson Dalotel at the Reno Nats

Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David, I had a Bridi kit at one time. Made a ton of mods including trimming it down to 2M and used a wing tube. Sadly never finished it, A bud of mine talked me out of it and the MVVS 1.40 twin I had for it. I have also had a Rogas Modell Dalotel that ended up being powered with a YS .91. Been looking for another Dalotel with no luck. I recently picked up an original Bridi Kaos built about 30 years ago and went out and flew it, had a blast. I have been considering a classic pattern airplane but being me I want something off the beaten path. A slimmed down Dalotel with retracts and a piped Rossi .61 is what comes to mind.
Looking forward to seeing your build.

Are you planning to do foam for the wing, stab and fin? What airfoils?

It looks like you are also planning on a removable fuse pan, or will you do a simple tunnel Bridi style?

Nice mold for the cowl. Where does it come from?

Access to the fuse from a canopy hatch?

David
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
speedracerntrixie

Dave, the fin will be a nomex honeycomb core with 1/16 balsa sheeting, the rudder will be built up balsa. Wings and stab will be sheeted foam. Wing airfoil is one that I designed a couple years ago and is working well on other models. The pipe tunnel is a simple sub floor just below the wing tube. Access will be through the top via removeable canopy from the back edge of the cowl to the turtle deck. The cowl mold came from an old Rogas Modell Dalotel kit. It came with a plastic cowl that I used as a plug to make the mold so I could lay up a glass cowl for that airplane.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

I too would like to fly in some CPA events in Ca. I have a Dirty Birdy. Is there a list of the events in Ca. posted somewhere?.

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM
80sPattern

You will be welcome with open arms. No fussiness with designs out here on the Left Coast. Contests are just getting started with Tony's Landcaster contest in November being one of the first. He is planning one for February as well.

I have built a e-powered Conquest IVe and been welcomed with open arms. (I just dont have the patients for nitro anymore.) The guys even had fun ribbing me about my power plant as you can see in the photo.

I too was hot to build a Dalotel as I watched Chip Hyde fly one in Masters when I first started flying pattern in the mid 80's. Then I saw the MK Super Chipmunk S and I fell in love......See picture below.

Doxilia are working together on making the Super Chipmunk over on RC Groups. If you have an interest, David has CAD designed the plane and will be having the balsa laser cut. We will be producing the foam cores here in So Cal. I am sure you could convert to Nitro if you wanted to put a pipe down the bottom like the original. Just a thought, either way, I pyched to see you do this and hope to see you in person at a West Coast CPA event.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25093.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1826022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34113.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1826023  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 AM
PatternPilot

Jim,

As always you can find CPA events / contest on the CPA website www.classicpatternassociation.com The first CA event will be in February.

Call cards for the new patterns will be posted soon. You can see the new patterns here http://www.classicpatternassociation...formation.html
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: 80sPattern

I've been looking into this classic pattern. My question is mainly focused on events in California and from what I have seen they may not be super rigid on what they are considering a classic pattern airplane. I'm considering a build of a 62'' or so Dalotel powered with a piped .60. Obviously I would hate to do the build and then be turned away from a contest. My thought is that if it were built to what the AMA pattern rules were back in the early '80's why would it not be legal to fly in todays classic pattern events? Thanks for inputs.
You will be welcome with open arms. No fussiness with designs out here on the Left Coast. Contests are just getting started with Tony's Landcaster contest in November being one of the first. He is planning one for February as well.

I have built a e-powered Conquest IVe and been welcomed with open arms. (I just dont have the patients for nitro anymore.) The guys even had fun ribbing me about my power plant as you can see in the photo.

I too was hot to build a Dalotel as I watched Chip Hyde fly one in Masters when I first started flying pattern in the mid 80's. Then I saw the MK Super Chipmunk S and I fell in love......See picture below.

Doxilia are working together on making the Super Chipmunk over on RC Groups. If you have an interest, David has CAD designed the plane and will be having the balsa laser cut. We will be producing the foam cores here in So Cal. I am sure you could convert to Nitro if you wanted to put a pipe down the bottom like the original. Just a thought, either way, I pyched to see you do this and hope to see you in person at a West Coast CPA event.

Doug
My son and I went to a senior pattern contest a few years back in Newport News VA, we talked to the CD and told him we had a 37% Ultimate and a 35% Giles 202. he told us you can surely fly but only in Basic, they loved it, my son took second and I took fourth, my son was beat by an Ugly Stik, go figure, it was fun for sure, we had no practice, just felt like doing something different, so go do it, take the Dalotel they'll love it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

cpa#2
If memory serves me correctly, that was a Hanson Dalotel at the Reno Nats

Well,
That about clears that up. Build away!
Chris...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
marvmattporsche
My Feedback: (60)

I am definitely interested in a couple of the super chipmunk s kits..

ORIGINAL: 80sPattern

Doug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.