Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Crank Is Still Around

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crank Is Still Around

I will continue the P-8 project, wings and stab ready for resin, etc. It is a re-build and now looks like new again. Just starting to get back in the shop. I have two 26% Yaks, one completed, the other still in the box, was enthused for a while, but that enthusiasm has run out of gas. I have them both listed on RCU Marketplace, onen RTF complete with all radio gear, the other still in box. Selling both together. Clear coating the last P-6 built, today. Looks like the sun and humidity will be good today. Good yesterday for painting, until the temp dropped, should get up to 78 - 80 today. Nice top down weather.
Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31146.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1843482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34557.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1843483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66367.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1843484  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crank Is Still Around

ORIGINAL: crankpin
Looks like the sun and humidity will be good today. Good yesterday for painting, until the temp dropped, should get up to 78 - 80 today. Nice top down weather.
Crank
I hate you. [&o]

Name:	Om32669.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1843488  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM
crankpin

I lived in Fuquay Varina, just south of Raleigh, then down to Wilmington for a few years, before coming here. It does get cold up there sometime, but here, all short sleeves. I am in T-shirts most of the time, some of these guys that do landscape and yards, all bundled up with gloves on.
================================================== ================================================== =================================================

Follow up: It is 71 out, warm, but cold wind starting to come in from the NW. No clear coat today, will try to de-humidify the garage. I don't have a paint booth, paint outside.
Crank
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crank!! Great to see you!!

I sure like your Yak's, those are pretty!! I've got a 50cc Extreme Flight Yak 54 I'm just starting to fly, I have about 5 flights on it thus far and am planning more in just a few minutes (batteries charging as we speak)...It's taking a little getting use too for me with this YAK, I think it's designed primarily as a 3d plane and I have to tone it down a lot as I want to fly more like IMAC stuff and not 3d...I enjoy flying my pattern planes much more than this thing right now. I'm not 100% sure if "it's for me" either, I'll keep working on it and maybe grow to love the plane??

I'm also jealous of your climate...I took a vacation day so I could fly today as it's suppose to get up around 50 degrees (not there yet). It's suppose to be cooler the rest of the week so I wanted to squeak in a nice flying day, I don't really like it much below 45-50 as my thumbs don't like to work all that smooth...he he

Looking forward to your P-8 project...

Chuck
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
crankpin

I had two P-8's, let them both go. P-6's here and a P-7. A guy let me have his new P-8 fuselage, Airborne Associates, just like the P-7, and I am grateful for that, brand new, I just happened to have the wing and stab cores, going to finish this rebuild P-8 first. Anxious to do a different paint job, maybe use some black and green. If these Yaks don't sell for a decent price, and they are priced at giveaway prices, I will get them airborne. The one is finished, ready to go. Picture here of the P-8 in resurrection stage.

I am not wanting to make helicopters out of the Yaks, never seen a real one do that. For regular flying, where do you have the elevators, ailerons set ? I am thinking about 18-20 degrees for first flight, and use dual rates if I have to.

Vince

Name:	Xv64858.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1843531  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
KLXMASTER14

I had two P-8's, let them both go. P-6's here and a P-7. A guy let me have his new P-8 fuselage, Airborne Associates, just like the P-7, and I am grateful for that, brand new, I just happened to have the wing and stab cores, going to finish this rebuild P-8 first. Anxious to do a different paint job, maybe use some black and green. If these Yaks don't sell for a decent price, and they are priced at giveaway prices, I will get them airborne. The one is finished, ready to go. Picture here of the P-8 in resurrection stage.

I am not wanting to make helicopters out of the Yaks, never seen a real one do that. For regular flying, where do you have the elevators, ailerons set ? I am thinking about 18-20 degrees for first flight, and use dual rates if I have to.

Vince
Vince,
I just sold my Yak, so I no longer have my set-up sheet. But if I recall correctly, my throws were like 14-8 degrees, hi/lo rate respectively. It does not take much throw to get results from those oversize surfaces.
-Robert
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Vince
ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14
Vince,
I just sold my Yak, so I no longer have my set-up sheet. But if I recall correctly, my throws were like 14-8 degrees, hi/lo rate respectively. It does not take much throw to get results from those oversize surfaces.
-Robert
Yeah Vince, With My Plane 20 degrees on the elevator is "manageable" but too much imho, it's more than I really want even for High Rate. I'm not sure about your plane and you can't go wrong by following the instructions/recommendations and dial it back from there if you need to. Ailerons are about 20 degrees for my high rate and that seems pretty good...

I will probably wind up around Roberts throws when it's all said and done. I'm still trying to get use to the plane and operating my first "gasser". It's all sorta new and I'm still nervous when I fly it, I wanna let that pass and when I feel comfortable begin tweaking her to my taste...

It's a fun plane, just different is all...It's actually hard to land because it doesn't want too...lol

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Crank,

Looking forward to seeing more on the P8. I picked one up a handful of months back on theBay for cheap, absolutely untouched and beautiful. Got to be one of the sexiest of the old pattern planes or just about any planes at all for that matter. I have started collecting parts. Just got a brand new Rossi .60, then found a Mac's pre-tuned header and pipe, again for cheap on theBay. Looking at retracts next. It's about 2 years out in the build queue but I can hardly wait.

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
crankpin

Hey Dave. Man that is rare, to find a P-8 on that auction site. Good for you, as the old ones are hard to come by. Is the date tag inside the fuse ? Retracts and the Rossi, good combo. Let us know your progress.

Crank
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Crank,

I wouldn't even have known to look for it if you hadn't asked. I just pulled the P-8 out and sure enough there's a tag in the fuse. Of course it's no surprise that it's still there, there's a layer of fiberglass laid over the top of the tag so I doubt it could have fallen off. Oh man, did I enjoy pulling it out and looking at it again. That's one beautiful fuse! Theres not a lot of planes sleeker than a Phoenix 8.

Anyway, the tag says 1978 Aero Composites. I paid somewhat south of $200 for the virgin kit. Wow, I still have to pinch myself! The kit was poorly listed, didn't have the word pattern, wasn't listed under kits, I wouldn't have found it if a Bay seller friend of mine hadn't clued me in. My apologies to everyone here for not posting a link but as you can see, there was a reason why I didn't. Mine, all mine!!! My bid was about double what it went for but them's theBay breaks. Another auction off theBay brought the NIB Rossi .60 in at about $75 (what?) and yet another found the pre-tuned Mac's pipe and header for less than that. I'm one happy camper!

So be sure and post pics of your P-8 as it progresses, I'll be watching. In two or three years, pictures of mine will start showing up. I've got several projects ahead of it right now.

Oh, by the way, you talked with me years ago about my NIB P-5 .40 kit but I wouldn't let it go. I finally relented and sold it to my brother for what I had in it, a whopping $40. Yeah, I could have gotten lots more but blood vs. water you know. And since he doesn't read these forums I can say that I would have given it to him for free just to see him fly it, of course $40 is really close to free. Plus, when he builds it, I'll get to fly it and I don't have to build it!

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
crankpin

Clear on. Took inside garage, temp warmed up today, looks like high 70's. Looks better then these pictures. Have to do the fuselage sides yet, let set for a few days, it is smooooooooooooth.

Crank

Name:	Us54393.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1844207  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
crankpin

This is the P-8 resurrection thread. Lot of work. There is new stuff here, this was quicker, but you have to tear down to build up.
Crank
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Crank!! Great to see you!!

Looking forward to your P-8 project...

Chuck
Hey Vince,

I'll second both of these comments..............................

David
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 AM
crankpin

I had loaded some pictures of the P-8 under resurrection, no time right now, I sold both of the 26% Yaks, meet buyer later. The P-8 wing and stab were stripped of the monokote, then repaired all dents, etc., set in new ailerons, and this will have the old fashioned kind, center servo. The wing and stab are ready for glass cloth and resin. I spoke with my friend Orlando Frets, he is now using Min-Wax for laying up the cloth. Gets it at Home Depot or Lowes. This would be something to consider, as he paints with lacquer. I have a new P-8, Airborne Associates, going to start on that soon also. If anyone is interested, I have a NIB Airborne Associates P-7, complete kit, I am going to list it on RCU Marketplace with a NIB OS61SF Ringed. The engine may not be he exact one posted here, but exactly like it. I have more stuff like this in the attic, have to inventory up there some day. The plan is to finish both P-8's, one more P-6, then that should be it for a while. I have had a set of plans here from Ziroli for over 6 years, an AM6 Zero. Thinking on it.
Crank

Name:	Bw72579.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1844394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63618.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1844395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48405.jpg
Views:	15