Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My Pattern Hero

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Jim Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Pattern Hero

Who was your biggest influence for getting into pattern?

Mine was this man - Charley Reed from Raytown, MO. Charley flew with KCRC (Kansas City Radio Control Assn) for many years. He encouraged and trained literally hundreds of RC fliers. An engineer by trade, he got into RC very early on. I met him about 1976 when he did service work on World Engines Radios. He and his wife Pat had a basement RC hobby shop that put most commercial shops to shame. If you needed a part for a pattern plane, from 1 screw to an entire plane, chances were about 98% that Charley either had it on hand or could get it in short order. I purchased thousands of dollars worth of parts and engines from them over the years, as well as many kits. Included were two of my all-time favorites - a Tipo 750 and an LA-1, both powered by OS engines.

He had an immeasurable influence on my flying and on me getting into pattern in the early '80s. He encouraged and coached me for many years as I grew through the classes. We travelled and flew together throughout Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma from about 1982 thru 2000. We discussed and argued about almost every possible RC topic. We often knocked heads since we are both Type A personalities, but we remained close friends until his death around 2005. My wife and I still keep in conctact with his wife Pat, who now lives near their daughter in Texas. The picture below was taken at the Wichita contest some time in the late 1990s.

I miss you very much my great friend. The pattern community much poorer for your loss. R.I.P.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12488.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1845647  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: My Pattern Hero

Billy and Jimmy Hiller of Palos Park RC in Illinois, they taught me how to fly in the 60's but most of all they taught me how to think about aerobatics. They were just kids and I was an adult. My first trainer was built to crash (over weight) I learned to build to fly from Jimmy and Billy and my 2nd plane a Senior Falcon was built so lite that it was like a powered glider. Those two kids were active in all aspects of RC and watching them fly pattern ships was inspirational. I got the pattern competition bug from them and that was the best thing to happen to me for my flying. Once I learned how important practice and study is my skills really started improving and continues to this day. I don't know where they are or what they are doing but I think of them very often and thank them for the gift of flying.

PS this is a cool idea Jim Johns
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Trisquire

Tony Bonetti was the only pattern champion I had ever seen in person, back in the old days. All the others I knew strictly from pictures in magazines.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ralph Brooke, Seattle Washington World Champion, designer and builder of RC aircraft https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/BrookeDrRalphC.pdf He built his own aircraft!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
dphillips3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fortunate to say my dad. He has always been there to help me, or anybody else that was interested in flying, building, or whatever.

DP#3
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM
MTK

Good idea Jim.....

When I was 14 or there abouts I was first introduced to extreme Pattern Flight by Jersey Jim Martin. Jim was in his late 20s then and at the top of the US Pattern World. Just amazing stuff the Banshee and Jim did. My exposure was rather limited to the club I visited (very poor back then and simply couldn't afford to belong to it), but even with the limited exposure, I knew I was witnessing something special. Although that was only one chance meeting, Pattern became my mantra; I just didn't know it yet. Much later, just a couple years ago, I got a chance to actually meet and become friends with Jim...a really humble, nice, warm, funnyman

Later, after college when I got a real job and could actually afford a cheap radio, Bridi kits got me involved in Pattern competition. So I'd have to say that Bridi through his kits was the biggest unwitting influence but I think Jim was the most important influence in retro spect. Soon after, MK kits became available in the early 80s, so Matsuo Kato was another unwitting influence.

When I joined AMA I started to read Ron Van Putte in MA religiously and he influenced me as well. In the early 90's-2000's I flew the FLA circuit and I got to know RVP quite well. Another good ambassador to our sport
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would have to say Phil Kraft and Joe Bridi. Back in '68 my dad went to a pattern contest and came home with a 3rd place novic trophy signed by the CD Joe Bridi. I grew up on Kraft equipment and my first pattern airplane was a Tweedy Bird. I dreamed of a Dirty Birdy with a piped Webra speed 61 and Kraft retracts. That never happened. Instead one day my dad just stopped flying his ST 60 powered Mach 1 and I pretty much took it over. Last May just 2 weeks before getting married I finally met Joe Bridi in Bakersfield CA.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

I have 2;

Number 1 is definitely my Dad. He had me go straight from a Sig Kommander to a Skyglas Daddy Rabbit at age 8 and from there to a Tiporare, and I don't even remember having to ask. He was (and is) always there to help me along. I was interested in airplanes and pattern flying from my earliest memories. Seeing all of his trophies and plaques, and I wanted to be just like him. Having kids myself now, I know how hectic it can be sometimes having them at the flying field with you, and he always encouraged us, but never forced. For that I'm eternally grateful.

A close number 2 is my brother. He took pattern flying to another level for my family, he won everywhere we went and learned much about setup and trimming along the way that I continue to learn from him today. He has a real knack for taking your airplane when you think it's as good as you can get it, and getting it "just that much better", and that's the little bit that really makes a difference. A very bright guy and a whale of a flier, and I'm proud to call him brother, and honored to be his "teammate".
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dphillips3

I am fortunate to say my dad. He has always been there to help me, or anybody else that was interested in flying, building, or whatever.

DP#3
To enjoy your hobby with your friends is very satisfying, To share it with your son as they say
IS PRICELESS !!!!!
Thank you David for sharing your life with ME ...

A very proud Dad !!!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Guy's

I have a little bit of a different take on this question. Since I didn't start flying until I was in my early 40's. I was not fortunate enough to fly the classic's when they were popular the first time around. My friend, who first got me interested in R/C flying also flew in pattern competitions up and down the east coast. We also used to work together and he would tell me many stories. One of my favorites was about him going to a contest somewhere in the north east and watching other competitors actually start to pack up their planes and leave when they saw Jim Martin show up to compete with his Banshee. He also told me of the time he watched Jim fly knife edge figure eights between trees at the end of one of his routines. My friend also told me about allot of the competitions that used to be held at the old Fentress Air Field in VA Beach VA, which is close to where we both live. In fact, the first time I saw a pattern plane fly was when another friend and fellow RCU classic pattern junkie, JeffH flew a red, black and yellow pattern plane. I don't remember what the name of the plane was and I don't think it was a classic, but Jeff sure could fly the heck out of it.

So, I honestly cannot say that the usual classic pattern hero’s had any influence in my becoming a classic pattern junkie. For me, I get some of my inspiration from people like JeffH, whom I consider to be not only an excellent builder of not only classic pattern planes, but all different types of planes and a guy that can fly them all very well. The rest of my inspiration comes from all of my fellow classic pattern friends here on RCU. It is amazing how willing all of you are willing to help out anyone who has a question or problem in any way you can.

David
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe Gross..... taught me the proper way to land a plane and spent many hours helping me improve my flying and inspired me to compete, as did Ed Rankin, Don Downing and Steve Helms. All fellow club members and mentors.

Frank
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
KLXMASTER14

Pattern used to be big. So big in fact that I can remember going to my first pattern contest, and there were these guys dressed in what looked like referee shirts. On the back was "USPJA" of US Pattern Judges Association. Imagine that, a group that did nothing but judge pattern. A far cry from today's contestant judged meets (I do not have an issue with that BTW).

I will admit that seeing those "uniforms" was a little intimidating to an already nervous 13 year old kid stepping up to the flight line for the first time. I was mortified by my performance, it looked nothing like what the other guys were doing. I was very down on myself.

So after my flight, one of these judges, Bob (?????) pulled me aside, and spoke encouraging words to me, and gave me helpful direction. That likely made the difference between persevering and calling it quits. I only wish that I could remember his last name so that I could properly credit him for his kindness and wisdom.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Fast forward thirty six years, and I am once again flying in pattern contests, and I am very blessed to have two mentors today. The first is Sean Mersh. He was born in Luxembourg, and immigrated (the right way) to the United States. Sean recently retired from the United States Navy with the rank of Commander. Sean has spent many an hour watching and correcting me as I fly. Very patiently, as I make the same mistake over and over......

My other mentor is Tony Frakowiak. Tony needs no introduction. Tony has been there and done that. Tony can fly your airplane once, and then tell you what to do to fix all of the trim gremlins that you have been chasing for so long. Tony helps whoever asks him for help, I have watch him pour into others. All he asks is that you apply what you learn.

Both of these men are world class competitors. Their depth of knowledge is hard to comprehend. Normally I am done talking with someone in 5-15 minutes. I can converse with these guys all day. Thank you guys, and to every one else that has put out a helping hand or shared knowledge along the way. I make it a point to pay it forward.

A word of advice to someone starting out. Find a mentor in your area that is willing to help steer you right. Some helpful guidance from a pair of eyes that know what they are looking at is more valuable than many years of practice on your own.

-Robert
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Thanks Robert! BTW, looks nice for the weekend up here. Would be nice to fly with you some more!

My mentor was not a great flyer. He never flew in big pattern contests. He had a gruff personality that turned a lot of people off on him. Maybe some of that rubbed off on me. But he taught me more about everything in the hobby then anyone else. From coaching my flying to teaching me more about engines then I could ever teach myself. He was Harry Roe.

Harry was a retired Air Force Colonel. He flew P-47's and P-51's in WW2. Can you imagine being 20 yrs old, given a Mustang and told to tear it up? Maybe some of his personality came from that background. Harry had more stories and quips then I could ever remember. One time at a contest we were all standing under a canopy watching it rain. I made the comment, why does it have to rain now? I then got a 45 minute education on meteorology. Harry would walk by me at a contest and say, time to change the glow plug, Tone! I guarantee nearly every time I would ignore that the plug would be dead when I went to start the engine. It was always fun discussing "aerodramatics" with him!

Harry to some was certainly an acquired taste. But he helped me more then I ever deserved. Thanks again Harry!

Another person that truly inspired me to be as good as I could get was Dave Brown. I remember in 1976 at my second contest, my first "real" pattern contest, I was sitting back trying to figure out how this all worked. I was hoping that I'd get to see a few flights before I had to go. Of course I was scheduled first up in the first round. I brought my stuff up to the line trying to come up with what to do when Dave came up to me and asked if I had a caller? I had no idea what he meant. So Dave gave me a quick run down, told me to start the engine, carried my plane out and then called the flight for me. You can't imagine how blown away I was to not only meet Dave Brown, but to have him do all that for me. Dave was at every pattern contest every weekend in the Midwest. It was such an inspiration to watch him fly at every meet. Then when I got to compete directly against him, he was such a motivation to keep working. It took me a long time to beat him at a contest and I still remember where that occurred. But by that point Dave was not working that hard at flying and really wasn't at his top form. Wish I could say I got him when he was at his peak!

Things were different then compared to now. If you wanted to beat Dave Brown, well, he was there at every local meet. Along with many other top fliers like Don Lowe, Mark Radcliff and many others. Take your shot and good luck!

And I can't end this without thanking another good friend I haven't seen in years. When I first started going to contests I would sleep in the back of my Datsun pick up. I did this for a while until a great guy invited me in to his trailer. That started a long friendship where we traveled to a lot of contests. Thanks again Rod Barnes! Rod could build some really great looking models. He was an expert painter. He was also really great with engines. Rod used to race outboard boats. So he was running his own homemade tuned pipes before a lot of guys put them on. Here's a cover shot of one of Rod's models. His is the green and yellow Phoenix 7 with the anhedral in the stab. At the 1977 Riverside Nats I was flying a Phoenix I borrowed from Rod. In the last round I had a midair with a Dirty Birdy. Spread that gorgeous Phoenix over half of March AF Base! But then I always told Joe Bridi I figured that's how he came up with the UFO.

Name:	Bz77341.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	1846279  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 AM
daggets

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...720Curare2.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/582579Curare1.jpg

This is the curare made by the french pierre blanquart.
This plane has been the best build model i ve ever seen.... the frame was absolutly perfect, sleek as a mirror, and i still wonder how he has made the paint job.... he has a modified rossi 61, running like a turboprop...never seen him make a dead landing or even breaking a prop, flying six time a week ...
He has a becker radio gear, the only transmitting set on 436 megahertz...
And he was competing among the best...
when the magic came out, he built one, and crashed it almost right away, like a newbee, into the trees...
he fitted the brand new updated becker radio into the old and famous curare... and forgot to check the aileron, wich were reversed.... this was the end of his career..
the colour sheme is gorgeous, to my opinion
this plane was all made of wood, the only way to make an airplane right, according to him
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 AM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: MTK

Good idea Jim.....

When I was 14 or there abouts I was first introduced to extreme Pattern Flight by Jersey Jim Martin. Jim was in his late 20s then and at the top of the US Pattern World. Just amazing stuff the Banshee and Jim did. My exposure was rather limited to the club I visited.......
Which club was that? Tony Bonetti's home club was in Orangeburg, NY, near the NY/NJ border. I used to pester my dad into taking me there before I could drive. I think that was Dennis Donahue's home club too, although I never saw him there.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 AM
daggets

http://lesgpr.free.fr/musee-gpr/radio/becker-1977.jpg

i forgot the becker radio pic..... must be very rare in the us!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

ORIGINAL: MTK

Good idea Jim.....

When I was 14 or there abouts I was first introduced to extreme Pattern Flight by Jersey Jim Martin. Jim was in his late 20s then and at the top of the US Pattern World. Just amazing stuff the Banshee and Jim did. My exposure was rather limited to the club I visited.......
Which club was that? Tony Bonetti's home club was in Orangeburg, NY, near the NY/NJ border. I used to pester my dad into taking me there before I could drive. I think that was Dennis Donahue's home club too, although I never saw him there.
Not that one. I don't remember the name of the club but it was in Jersey. I first found it when they flew off a length of route 80 before it had opened about 45 years ago. Then they were ousted form there and flew in another stretch of route 80 in Parsippany. They were ousted from there and flew in Towaco airport for a bit, and is where I saw Jersey Jim. Don't know nor have I ever met Bonetti. The closest I came was at the '81 SeguinNats. I met Dave Brown therefor the first time.

I used to travel with a gent who was in constant need of models. So I was his mechanic and builder so to speak, back when I was in high school. Practically nothing prefabbed in those days. What a great way for a 14 year old kid to develop his noodle. The gent had little mechanical aptitude and he depended almost entirely on me to keep his crates flying. He crashed every weekend so I'd spend a few nights every week fixing the crates only to repeat the cycle the following week. I got some spending cashand rides to and from the model sites..... It was one way to do it, and certainly not the best way. But boy did it ever light a fire in my belly.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Harry Roe of "Ro-Go" fame. My brother had an OS 60fSR in an LFX6, and my dad was struggling with it one day at Lancaster I think. Harry calls over "John, bring that thing over here". He propped it up on it's wingtip and made that engine idle so slowly and transition so cleanly in under 5 minutes it was clear this guy was different.

One of my more embarassing moments in pattern involves Harry. As you said Tony, he could be gruff, which oftentimes invoved some "rough" language. One contest in particular, he was wound up about something and we had our canopy next to his. I'm the youngest of 3 boys and we all flew pattern, so Dad had his hands full. There was no cursing in our house, and Harry's going off like a roman candle over there, and Dad yells over "Harry, I got young ears over here!" I had already heard and said everything Harry was saying over there (of course not around Dad), and man was I embarrassed. Looking back I give dad some credit for having the b@lls to say something, Harry was intimidating.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Trisquire

Thanks MattK. As long as I'm reminiscing about New Jersey, this picture was taken at the Jersey Central Club, at Pittstown Airport, NJ. Its about 40 miles southwest of you.

Name:	Db85636.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	1846483  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

My biggest influence was and still is Steve Stricker. I was fortunate enough to grow up with him and other young pattern fliers in our club. We also had local big guns like Bill Hinnet, Wayne Abernathy, Joe Solko, and Bob Violett in the PGRC club. I watched then helped Steve at many TOC's during the nineties and built one of his two Ultimate's and the Extra 300 he flew to win the 1996 TOC. My proudest moment was when he aggreed to be my best man in 2002. Every time I fly with him is a joy and now we are flying turbines together.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
JSchoolcraft

What a great thread!  My addiction to pattern came back in 1995 or 1996.  Jevan Fitzsimmons flew at the Muroc Model Club and introduced me to pattern.  At that time I had no money and was into "Penny Pinching Pylon" using House of Balsa T-6 Texans.  I sport flew a Quickee 500 and Jevan talked me into entering my first contest with the Quickee and helped coach me.  In return he promised to attend pylon races with me.  We became good friends and flew together often. Awesome times.  I clearly remember my first big contest at Mile Square Park where Tony Frackowiak not only won, but completely dominated.  Always enjoyed watching him fly and admired the skill he had.  At the time I remember him coaching a young kid (Kenny Lauter) who always flew against Jevan and frustrated the crap out of him because that little 12 year old was so dang good!!!  Then life got busy and I got out of the hobby until the middle of last year.  

Now I am so lucky to have Tony coaching me.  It's crazy!!  He spends more time than I would with me!!  Lol...  He has helped share his knowledge of trimming an aircraft with me, taught me excellent methods for setting throws, optimizing my radio, optimizing my control surfaces, and making the most of whatever model I fly.  But the most impressive thing is the way he has encouraged my son.  He fixed my sons ducted fan jet, and brought his Mig out to the field along with my sons newly repaired F-86 to simulate combat and just fly around having a blast in the process.  My son talks about it all the time.  This hobby has allowed me to connect with my son in an amazing way and Tony has been a tremendous influence on us both.  It is so great to have someone with his experience to not only help me, but encourage us both in this great hobby!  So I gotta say Tony is definitely a pattern hero of mine, as well as Jevan.  I really do miss my flying buddy Jevan, and have also enjoyed reconnecting with his brother Chris.  I will be involved with pattern for a long time to come and look forward to all the upcoming contests and new friends I have made along the way!!  Thank you Tony, Jevan and Chris!!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GREAT thread!
I did fly at Orangeburg way back in the day (it was my 'home field' from about 1966 till they finally chewed up the runway and closed the place in the late 80's... my Avatar photo was taken at that field)
in order of heroism...
My Dad (Pat Buzzeo 92 years old... no more Pattern flying but he does still fly just about every day)
Tony Bonetti (he is still around... living in LasVegas)
Dennis Donohue (and both his sons, all still alive as far as I know)

My Dad of course taught me (and both my Brothers) just about everything about FLYING pattern and engine tuning...
Bonetti actually took the time to teach me the importance of lateral balancing and hinge gap sealing... (I was having an AWFUL time with 3 loops that looked more like a corkscrew )
and he did it in three sentences. I admired the heck out of him and still do
I know Tony belonged to another New Jersey Club but I'm not sure which one.
Dennis was the only other 'top pattern competitor' at our club back then, I was close friends with Dennis Jr. as a result I spent a good amount of time at their house talking airplanes.

BTW, if you ever see a 'Kid' Named Dan Landis in the magazines... his father (Richie) and grandfather (Harvey) were both RCRC members (at orangeburg) you could not ask for a better bunch of folks to fly with.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Trisquire

I once saw Tony Bonetti hand propping the engine on his Triple Trouble. I remember thinking how things come full circle. When you first start out, you can't afford an electric starter. Then you finally get one. Then when you get to Tony's level, you know engines so well that you don't need one.

The things that stick in your mind when you're a teenager!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

BTW, if you ever see a 'Kid' Named Dan Landis in the magazines... his father (Richie) and grandfather (Harvey) were both RCRC members (at orangeburg) you could not ask for a better bunch of folks to fly with.
I know Danny....he visited me in Florida several times and we flew couple contests together. Good kid, although not a kid anymore; young man.
I've got ashort story about Danny L and Pete Collinson.About 10 years ago, Pete and Dan it turns out where going to flight school at about the same time down in sunny FLA, Pete for piloting and Dan for Ops. They had no Pattern planes with them so I invited them to fly mine. Pete accepted and proceeded to beat the pants off every F3A guy who flew that contest. That was about the last time Pete had no engine problems (BG)

To thank me, Pete tookDanny and I out to dinner down to Orlando in hisdad's plane. Ocala to Orlando, just for dinner and back. Pete piloting, Dan co-piloting and the old man, that's me, in the back with head phones on. A whole 'nother world, listening into all that jabber......

The return trip was really something. Fog had rolled in and you literally couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. Pete puts it in auto-pilot, and in that dead, smooth air, and drone of the engine coupled with the earlier effort in that sunnyrather breezyday, I was fast asleep in no time.

The kids of course, are kids. No problem. Fog and all. I finally wake up an hour or so later, to thick fog. The kids as calm and collected as any one could be while I'm sweating it in the back seat. We finally broke through the Fog when we were about 10 feet off the deck; I could barely make out a runway stripe. Auto pilot all the way; Pete took over just before touch down.

The rest of the story involves trying to get out of locked airport. That's a whole 'nother story
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Man, what a good thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.