Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ys short stroke... finally

Reply
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
  #1
flywilly
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: glen allen, VA,
Posts: 1,883
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ys short stroke... finally

http://mail.aol.com/37309-111/aol-6/...Saved&partId=3

Here's a photo that Rich Verano sent me a few weeks ago. He was initially disappointed in the engine's performance; so
he called YS and they sent him another engine along with the header and pipe set-up they were using and getting more than
1,200 rpm better than Rich was with the same APC 11x9 prop (YS was getting about 14,000 using 15% nitro fuel).
The package from YS arrived this week and Rich attached their header/pipe set-up to his (the original prototype engine)
and got similar rpms. Then he mounted it in his Escape (built by Joe Bridi himself) which he flew last year at Chip's CPA contest
with a rebuilt YS longstroke. The performance was significantly improved. He feels the engine is a real powerhouse and a definite
winner. He believes the engine should be available very soon (by YS standards - so hopefully by March).
By the way, the factory pipe setting was 1.5" shorter than the one rich originally used to test the engine. More testing with different
pipes, props, lengths should happen soon.
-Will
flywilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
  #2
MTK
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Whippany, NJ
Posts: 5,386
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally


Quote:
ORIGINAL: flywilly

http://mail.aol.com/37309-111/aol-6/...Saved&partId=3

Here's a photo that Rich Verano sent me a few weeks ago. He was initially disappointed in the engine's performance; so
he called YS and they sent him another engine along with the header and pipe set-up they were using and getting more than
1,200 rpm better than Rich was with the same APC 11x9 prop (YS was getting about 14,000 using 15% nitro fuel).
The package from YS arrived this week and Rich attached their header/pipe set-up to his (the original prototype engine)
and got similar rpms. Then he mounted it in his Escape (built by Joe Bridi himself) which he flew last year at Chip's CPA contest
with a rebuilt YS longstroke. The performance was significantly improved. He feels the engine is a real powerhouse and a definite
winner. He believes the engine should be available very soon (by YS standards - so hopefully by March).
By the way, the factory pipe setting was 1.5" shorter than the one rich originally used to test the engine. More testing with different
pipes, props, lengths should happen soon.
-Will
I wonder if Rich used a bigger load like a 12x10 or 13x9 at the stretched setting, whether it would have turned the load..... 25 years ago we ran the short and the long stroke with stretched pipes and bigger loads than an 11x9. As I recall, my props of choice were 12x10 and 12x11 apc at around 12K? Or maybe a little lessrpm. Extremely quiet set-ups and with the lower rpm, frugal in fuel consumption
MTK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 AM
  #3
doxilia
 
doxilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal, QC, CANADA
Posts: 5,159
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Will,

Would you be able to post a picture on the forum? AOL is no good unless you have an account.

Cheers, David
doxilia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM
  #4
FBaity
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 925
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally


Quote:
ORIGINAL: doxilia

Will,

Would you be able to post a picture on the forum? AOL is no good unless you have an account.

Cheers, David

+ 1
FBaity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
  #5
flywilly
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: glen allen, VA,
Posts: 1,883
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Sorry guys,
I still haven't figured out how to get the photo uploaded here, but I have good excuses: first, the motherboard on the laptop I have been using (a 7 year old eMachine) just died unexpectedly (ok, after 7 years maybe not that unexpected!). I was given an iPad for X-mas which I have only just started using (mostly to 'FaceTime' with my kids); so I thought I could use my wife' old Dell to move the picture and that has been a very frustrating exercise, too.
Anyway, the engine uses the long stroke case and head; so that's what it looks like externally. Internally, the crank pin placement has been changed (I assume the rod is shorter), I believe there are some porting changes and it is a ringed engine. According to Richard at YS USA, the YS factory has expended a lot of effort in perfecting ringed helicopter engines for power, reliability, durability and ease of operation. A nice benefit is that piston/sleeve maintenance is easier and cheaper with a simple ring replacement as opposed to replacing the entire piston/sleeve assembly (in most cases).
Richard was hoping to put a video up on youtube of the engine being run. I'll post a link here.
-Will
flywilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
  #6
speed-panzer
 
speed-panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rennerod, GERMANY
Posts: 346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Looking forward....
I always liked the ringed engines, too. Little bit more bulletproof. My old Webra Speed 61 ringed runs really very well.
speed-panzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
  #7
Atlanta 60
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Euharlee, GA
Posts: 1,826
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally


Quote:
ORIGINAL: flywilly

Anyway, the engine uses the long stroke case and head; so that's what it looks like externally. Internally, the crank pin placement has been changed (I assume the rod is shorter), I believe there are some porting changes and it is a ringed engine.

-Will
So I wonder if YS would entertain another run of the Long Stroke engine??

Not trying to take away anything from the current short stroke efforts!! I think it's fantastic!! I'm glad it's happening!!
Atlanta 60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
  #8
flywilly
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: glen allen, VA,
Posts: 1,883
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Hi Chuck,
If this new YS is a good as it sounds (figuratively speaking as I haven't actually heard it run) then I'm sure it can be set up to run larger props without problem. The YS short-stroke provided plenty of power running 12x9 and 12x10 props for FAI pattern until the end of the '80s (Ivan Kristensen ran then very successfully in his Summit designs). Subsequently, the big 2-stroke engines like the OS 1.40, Webra 1.45 & 1.60 were all 'short-stroke' reigned engines.
When I get one I will test accordingly: props from 11x7 to 13x9.
- Will
flywilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
  #9
pitstop000
 
pitstop000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,016
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Hey Will, let me help out with the pics of the new YS.

pitstop000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
  #10
flywilly
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: glen allen, VA,
Posts: 1,883
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Thanks, Paul.
Life is interfering with my pursuit of my favorite hobby...
flywilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 AM
  #11
PeterP
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 449
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Where can I buy one of these engines. I still have my old Atlanta in the shed which I would like to fly again after 23 years.
PeterP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
  #12
auggie622
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 190
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Just took delivery of four (4) new YS61R classic pattern motors - very classic motors. Got these from a hobby store in Japan very close to the YS factory - new somebody who new somebody. . . . . . . . . . . . These motors are not yet in the US but I'm told sometime in the fall. Japan will be the first to get there quota first, than everybody else. I was just lucky to know the right person for the contact. Enjoy the pictures

Steven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61329.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1883403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59270.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1883404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80139.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1883405  
auggie622 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
  #13
bjr_93tz
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ToowoombaQLD, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally


Quote:
ORIGINAL: auggie622

Just took delivery of four (4) new YS61R classic pattern motors - very classic motors. Got these from a hobby store in Japan very close to the YS factory - new somebody who new somebody. . . . . . . . . . . . These motors are not yet in the US but I'm told sometime in the fall. Japan will be the first to get there quota first, than everybody else. I was just lucky to know the right person for the contact. Enjoy the pictures

Steven
Four YS61R's and a glass of white wine in the workshop. That's it, I'm moving to LA....
bjr_93tz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
  #14
auggie622
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 190
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Can't think of a better way to celebrate in acquiring these motors.
auggie622 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #15
bjr_93tz
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ToowoombaQLD, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

My history's pretty bad but I reckon the bloke that said it was better to give than receive, probably only had a loaf of bread and a fish (or knew sombody who did), and not four YS's
bjr_93tz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
  #16
jon bruml
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hayward , CA
Posts: 61
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Steven
One of those would look pretty good in my P8....i let you fly it

Jon
jon bruml is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
  #17
stuntflyr
 
stuntflyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,881
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

I thought you were going electric on that, Jon?
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM
  #18
pitstop000
 
pitstop000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,016
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ys short stroke... finally

Okay Guys, just an update . . . . . Time to put my YS Hat on!!!

>>

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25282151&postcount=34

pitstop000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:58 PM.