Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
NiCad
9.73%
Nimh
20.35%
Li ion
3.54%
Li po
10.62%
LiFe
19.47%
4.8 vdc
9.73%
6.0 vdc
26.55%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Rx battery type & voltage?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx battery type & voltage?

Just wondering what type battery and voltage is most popular for Rx packs?? Any particular reason for your choice?

Thanks,
Jim

Choices changed to show "LiFe" batteries

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rx battery type & voltage?

One battery type that should be on your poll is LIFE, I use it as it doesn't need to be regulated for most servos types. One less component (regulator) to fail.

FB
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I would say change your poll selection and add LiFe.
I used NiCd packs and then moved into NiMh packs as the NiCd packs wore out. Several years ago the NiMh packs I got were not as good as the packs from years earlier made by the same manufacturer. Their life span was about half.
After that I moved to LiPo packs using regulators and now have moved to LiFe packs without regulators. No more NiMh packs for me, I would still use NiCd packs if the good ones weren't so expensive now. Much cheaper to use LiFe or A123 packs.
As far as voltage, unless it's a small or lightweight model with space/weight constraints or you have servos or receivers that can't handle higher voltages a 6 volt system is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Jim Oliver

Just wondering what type battery and voltage is most popular for Rx packs?? Any particular reason for your choice?

Thanks,
Jim

LiPo...even with regulator (Tech Aero VReg) it is the lightest set-up for the capacity I want to run
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Dean Pappas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

One battery type that should be on your poll is LIFE, I use it as it doesn't need to be regulated for most servos types. One less component (regulator) to fail.

FB
Same here!
Dean Pappas
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here too.

The other advantage (call it necessity if you will) in going with Lithium based chemistry is that they produce not only higher voltage but also higher capacity per gram. Two cells of LiPo or LiFe always produce more than 6V even at their discharged state (which one doesn't want to reach) and this is important for most 2.4 GHz systems as they tend to be unreliable if voltage drops below 5V. Most 2.4 Tx and Rx systems that I'm aware of have voltage regulators to bring the operating voltage to a solid 4.8 or 5.0V. What this means is that if one uses battery chemistry that has a discharged voltage state of less than 4.8V, one runs the risk of having a Rx shutdown.

In Tx's, the use of LiPo or LiFe cells also provides us with power for several days of flying compared to the 500 mAh capacities of NiCd (or NiMH) 8 cell packs of yore. Those had to be charged every night before use and one had to make sure they were properly cycled. Modern cell chemistry does away with that with the main caveat (primarily with LiFe) being that they produce "flatline" voltage (or close). What this means is that when they are discharged, the dive off the deep end - i.e., zero power practically right then and there. Nickel chemistry cells had a more gradual discharge voltage curve so one knew when a pack was reaching the end. With Lithium, one simply has to make sure the pack is charged when it reaches it's lower end operating voltage - just common sense and practice with one's packs.

David
Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
pgilbert
My Feedback: (38)

+1 for LiFe
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
doxilia

I haven't come across much promotion of Li-Ion battery chemistry by the hobby but it would be interesting to read a little on how they compare to LiFe and LiPo chemistry in terms of behavior and charge density.

below is a simple 7.4V 2-cell Li-Ion pack that can be used for our applications. 2200 mAh, weight 3.5 oz.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23898.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1873263  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM
stuntflyr

I use big, heavy 6.0V NiMh 2000mah packs.
Chris... 
Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I'm currently using Fromeco 7.4 LiIon packs (2600mah) with the 6v Sierra regulator...I have that set-up in three planes and like it a lot but I'm still learning...I also have some NiMh packs I'm flying so right now it's a mix of the LiIon and NiMh. It's is a little confusing and I want to eventually standardize my battery type through attrition...

***Supposedly*** (I'm no expert!!)
The LiIon's are suppose to be a little more forgiving than LiPo batteries with regards to charging...I've been told they can be left in the plane during charging which is one of the things that attracted me...(However: Fromeco's paperwork says to remove the battery from the plane and charge in a fireproof container)...Again, I'm no expert so don't listen to me!!! But I've been charging the batteries in my planes for over a year with no problems so far...

Although I like the LiIon I'm wondering about the A123's (is that LiFe ?)...Some IMAC guys at my field are using them and have got me thinking about switching...I don't know right now and still have some learning to do...

Having "one battery platform" would be nice but if I choose A123's I'll have to get new charging equipment as none of my stuff will do A123's...I'm sorta covered pretty well with chargers and trickling equipment for my LiIon & NiMh (I leave the NiMh's on trickle all the time) so it would kinda stink to toss this equipment and buy new stuff...Oh Well

Have Fun...

Chuck

Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Lipo, 1000 mah and a voltage reg at 6 volts... fly 6 rounds no problem ...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
doxilia

Chuck,

Most LiPo and LiIon capable chargers are also able to charge LiFe (A123 is one type of LiFe chemistry). Basically the charger has to have general Lithium charging circuitry. The differences between one type of Lithium chemistry and another basically amount to cell voltage. For example, LiPo are nominal 3.7V while LiFe are nominal 3.3V. LiIon are probably 3.3V nominal too but I'm guessing. If they are, you should be able to charge LiFe with the same charger setting as LiIon.

Your charger docs might have something on that.

David
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Several years ago I used the Central Hobbies Lithium Ion packs with the Jim Odino charger that Central sold; got out of the 2 meter pattern rat race and have been using nicad and nimh on the smaller stuff but want to upgrade to one type battery and charger; so, thought I would pick a brain or ten and see what is working for you guys........

Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
alcarafa

No doubt LiFe batts ... they have less chance to get on fire & less weight.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Dave Harmon

Me too for the LiFe.....cheep too!
I use Hyperion 850mah packs and a Jaccio regulator set to 6v.
The regulator keeps the servos at the same speed.
My airplane uses 60mah per flight so I change the battery after every 6th flight.
I use a 10S charger and on occasion I will charge it at the field but I have 3 of these packs so I dont have to mess aroud with field charging.
I treated myself to an 18MZ and the reciever battery telemetry works too slick just in case I loose count of the number of flights....not likely!

DH
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
KLXMASTER14

I have been using NiMh 6v packs wit ha Jaccio regulator, but as they crap out, I am switching over to 2 cell Li-Ion packs (2600mAH). The NiMh packs seem to have short life spans, and the LI-Ions have proven idiot proof, which is a great bonus for me. The Li-Ions have served me well in my IMAC and AMA airplanes.

-Robert
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM
MTK

I suspect that a lot depends on the type of charger you have available. I have small LiPo/ Li ioncharging capability and see no reason to change equipment to charge other Li types. Dave I don't believe LiFes will charge properly with LiPo chargers (overcharge perhaps and shorten life)

Used NiMH for many years and had excellent service from these too. The best part was the simple charging with any wall wart. But the demands I place on my airborne battery haveincreased so I need more capacity at similar weight....LiPo buys me morecapacity at less weight and I have the charging equipment already.

If you are starting out, other types may make better sense for you. Lots of options nowadays........

Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Even some of the lower priced 50watt multi-battery chargers like the I-Max and the copies/clones (4-button chargers) will charge LiFe/A123. You would select LiPo in the user setting program mode and change the voltage type to 3.3v per cell and that changes the type to LiFe or if you set it to 3.6 it would change to LiIo, 3.7 would be LiPo.
No matter what charger,as long as you can change the volts per cell to 3.3v you can charge a LiFe.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
coachdavis10

Always 6V and always Nimh... Just old school I guess
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Dave Harmon

ORIGINAL: MTK

I suspect that a lot depends on the type of charger you have available. I have small LiPo/ Li ion charging capability and see no reason to change equipment to charge other Li types. Dave I don't believe LiFes will charge properly with LiPo chargers (overcharge perhaps and shorten life)

Used NiMH for many years and had excellent service from these too. The best part was the simple charging with any wall wart. But the demands I place on my airborne battery have increased so I need more capacity at similar weight....LiPo buys me more capacity at less weight and I have the charging equipment already.

If you are starting out, other types may make better sense for you. Lots of options nowadays........

Hi Matt....
The 10S charger is programmed for LiIo, LiPo and LiFe/A123 cells.

Dave
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

I have been using a123 two cell packs for more than 4 years now , and have bought some of the LiFe 1100&1800 packs as well, I routinely charge them at 5-10 C in the plane..zero issues, no regulator, and the lifespan far exceeds the other chemistries I use futaba and spektrum servos...zero servo failures
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
pvogel

You forgot the possibility of LiPo 7.4v or even 8v from 3s or larger lipo regulated down, either with a good BEC like in the Mezon ESCs or with a standalone reg.

Peter+
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Taurus Flyer

See the photograph for Class 1 pattern flying, two elements 2500 mAh.
For full house, Class III pattern flying, 4 elements, all NiMH.
To vote is a problem, 2.4 VDC isn't there!

Taurus Flyer

Name:	Ec88763.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1874257  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM
sehlers

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

See the photograph for Class 1 pattern flying, two elements 2500 mAh.
For full house, Class III pattern flying, 4 elements, all NiMH.
To vote is a problem, 2.4 VDC isn't there!

Taurus Flyer ,
Mr Taurus ,

Do you even know what 2.4 refers too ,in this thread ?? Either your Translation program or your English ,is Not up to par in understanding Posts as people make replies and statements in them ... I wonder if modelers here mostly in the USA and Canada (that post here) care what battery You use !

As "Hook 57" once said when you thought You knew All History and how it related to the El Gringo , I Quote "Give no mind to Taurass Flyer, he enjoys polluting every thread that contains any bit of information he deems unsuitable. It's much like the (his) "RC World according to Cees". As many have done, simply block him because a case of Summers Eve is too difficult to apply over the Internet.
hook "

To Vote is a Problem ,huh ? I see it as your Lack of Knowledge as a problem ,to make an irrelevant post .
Steveo

Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Taurus Flyer

Steveo,
Do you remember you wrote!(post 24, the search function doesn't work RCU! , so I ad the picture (2) also here!)

From what I know about R/C Precision acrobatics , in 1962 were they even doing 4 and 8 point rolls ? Slow Rolls ?? Knife Edge ? I don't have a 1961 AMA rule book or FIA manual ,if there was such a thing ,so I don't know with out some research.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11336183/tm.htm

This forum is about classic rc pattern flying
See the added picture 22.4 and 22.5, Class I, rudder only, Class III, full house!

Taurus Flyer

Name:	Ec87169.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	1874393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61673.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1874394