Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Rossi R45 RE - Info & Manual?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rossi R45 RE - Info & Manual?

I recently acquired an almost new Rossi R45 rear exhaust (RE) engine. I'd actually never seen or heard of one so I found it rather unique.

Although I'm sure the same rules that apply to the current SE version apply to the RE as well, I was wondering if anyone had the manual for this engine?

Also, anyone with any experience running it? With 10x7 & 11x6 props?

It came with a shallow rise Rossi header which I believe is the same size as the 60 size headers (same exhaust bore). The setup with the header seems ideally suited for a Citation 45 which I'd like to build one day.

I'll post some pictures of it later.

TIA, David
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rossi R45 RE - Info & Manual?

David,
I have a NIB Rossi 45 Rear Exhaust, will check tomorrow to see what paperwork says.

Jim
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Jim Oliver

David,
I have a NIB Rossi 45 Rear Exhaust, will check tomorrow to see what paperwork says.

Jim

You never cease to absolutely astound me...

Brian
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Jim Oliver

David,
Not much real info on the papers with the engine; suggests a 10x6 prop for the 45, no fuel recommendation. Since I have not run mine, I can't make definitive statements about it; however, my Rossi 53 and Webra 50 do well with 10 or 15% nitro with apc 10.5x6 or xoar 10x7. Don't remember the rpm for the 53 but the Webra 50 turns the Xoar 10x7 14,500 or so with CP 15%. Also, when I first began to fly the Kaos arf with Webra 50, I was using fuel with 22% oil; couldn't get decent runs-poor idle and transition and midrange. Changed to 15% Cool Power and all was good.

Does your engine have the 8.5mm carb? I have two Rossi 45 side exhaust engines with 10mm carbs, was a bit surprized to see carb that large on a 45; runs fine on bench with muffler presure. May not be good in the airtime will tell.

Wish I could be more help.

Jim
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
doxilia

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

CP is an all synthetic fuel if I'm not mistaken. It's interesting that both Webra and Rossi are running well without castor. Have you tried running Omega on them? 22% oil does sound rich. 18-20% might be interesting to try.

Would you be able to snap some pics of you R45? I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'll take some too and check the carb. I believe it is an 8.5 though. As the exhaust, the crankcase carb inlet is also the same bore as the 60's so the 10 mm carbs could potentially be used as well. A pump on the 10 might also be interesting to try.

David
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Jim Oliver

David,
I'm sure Omega would be OK. I like what castor oil does FOR engines (some protection from lean runs) but not what it does TO engines (varnish, which must not be allowed to build up on piston sides or inside cylinders) and the dark goop that forms when castor based fuel is allowed to cook on the engine exterior.

My FIRE has the 8.5mm carb, the 10mm carb is on two of my FISE 45s, only one of which I have used; it does require muffler pressure to work. After some attempts to use an aftermarket pump on other engines, I have decided simple is better I am using a Perry pump carb on my Webra 61 longstroke, tried the pump but wasn't able to get the system working as I wanted (probably my lack of experience or shortage of smarts), found the pump carb works fine with pipe pressure.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
doxilia

Jim,

apologies for letting this thread hang without a reply. I do appreciate your input.

I snapped some pictures of my RE 45 some time ago and just haven't gotten around to posting them. Anyway, here they are for what they're worth. If you have any pictures of yours (if it's different), please do post them.

I believe this is the 8.5 mm carb (although I failed to measure it at the time or if I did, misplaced the note I made - probably in the box with the engine). I think its the same carb that's on the current 45 SE that Axe still sells. I hope to put a run or two on it before the weather turns too frosty next month. I just need a good sunny day without wind which is a rare occurrence in November 'round these parts.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02103-2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1934591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02108-2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	1934592   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02116-2.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1934593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02121-2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1934594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02122-2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1934595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02125-2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	1934596  
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

David, I have been running the SE for about 4 years now in my pylon airplanes. I'm going to assume the timing is the same ( the piston and liner should be interchangeable ) With that in mind, the engine runs well on 15% nitro and 18% oil. Use a medium cool plug. I have been running an Ultra thrust muffler and mine likes being right at 16K. The Rossi 10mm carb fits and works well on the .45. As far as props go you will have to experiment. I run a 9X7.5 on mine so you may want to start with a 10X6, 11X5 if its a draggy airplane.

OK you just posted pics. You have the 3X2 version ( I had not heard of this ). It will have lots more power and will like a fair amount of load. Run a longer header then normal. You also have the standard 8mm carb. All other info still applies

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-29-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 PM
doxilia

SRT,

thanks for your input and suggestions. I believe I also took some pictures when I dissembled it to clean it as I picked it up second hand but I don't recall what the liner looks like (nor where I put the pictures...). I assume you can tell it's 3+2 version from the front portion of the cylinder where the two extra ports are - yes? If that's the case, I guess that when the liner is done, so will the engine as it might be very hard to find a replacement liner. I'm not sure how the crankcase would do with a standard 3 port SE liner rotated 90 degrees. I'm also not sure if the pistons can be replaced with the SE versions as the RE piston might have a skirt positioned in the 90 degree aft axis.

I was curious to see how it fared loaded up a bit with an 10.5x6 or 11x6. Maybe even an 11x7. It came with a stock Rossi header (in the pictures) which is indeed very long and it seems almost ideally shaped for the model I have in mind (a Citation 45). The design of the plane uses an enclosed top deck pipe which is ideally longer than usual to allow the pipe to traverse the fuse and have a diverter put the exhaust out the bottom of the fuse. The model has a fairly long fuse.

It appears that it has hardly been run if at all. Will have to get it broken in and tuned.

David
Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
stg61abc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all.
I dont know if you still need the Rossí´s manual, in any case here is the one I have on my files
Carlo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rossi 40_65 man.pdf (187.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
doxilia

Carlo,

many thanks for the info. I now seem to recall seeing that document on the Axe Rossi web site. Nice set of info for their engines!

I need to get that engine up and on the crank. I suspect 15.5K might be achievable with the 3+2 RE on a 10x6.

David