Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Mini Curare

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Mini Curare

Here is a picture of a Mini Curare that I acquired from an estate sale. Apparently the plane was built but never had a radio installed. It had a OS .25 FSR installed as well a the cutest mechanical retracts. I bench tested the OS vs. my K&B .21 and the .21 had mor e power with the props I expected to run APC 8x5, 8x6. Then I installed a rear header and a Magic Muffler that is imported from Australia.
Then i spent some time installing high end JR mini servos and am pretty happy with how the upgrade turned out.
final weight is 3 pound 6 OZ! It flys great and I am in the process of getting her sorted out. The light weigh makes the landings a no brainer.
The pipe is peakier than I expected and will take a few more flight to get it running at max power.
Sparky
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
elmshoot

Ok how do I post picture from an eye pad?
sparky
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don' think it can be done... only nose pads...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 7x6 or 7.5x6 apc will make the .21 come alive. 21-22 k on stock carb, with .40 size perry carb more like 23k rpm.. pipe pressure or header pressure is all that is needed..been there done that.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Here is a picture of a Mini Curare that I acquired from an estate sale. Apparently the plane was built but never had a radio installed. It had a OS .25 FSR installed as well a the cutest mechanical retracts. I bench tested the OS vs. my K&B .21 and the .21 had mor e power with the props I expected to run APC 8x5, 8x6. Then I installed a rear header and a Magic Muffler that is imported from Australia.
Then i spent some time installing high end JR mini servos and am pretty happy with how the upgrade turned out.
final weight is 3 pound 6 OZ! It flys great and I am in the process of getting her sorted out. The light weigh makes the landings a no brainer.
The pipe is peakier than I expected and will take a few more flight to get it running at max power.
Sparky
Sparky,

Lorin knows his engines! I'd give give those props a try.

On the exhaust, you might want to try a longer pipe if it stays peaky. The Macs 3.5 cc QP or MP should work well.

David
Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM
elmshoot

Guys thanks for the prop suggestions! I have 6 of the .21 engines (two NIB) they were the last engines done by K&B before Randy bought them out. These are "combat specials" that I used on my RCCA combat engines the carb Is .40 size! And a remote needle valve.
It does like to turn the RPM!