Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Bridi XLT radio install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Twinhydro
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi XLT radio install

I have this XLT that I bought years ago needs to be rigged and if anyone has a few shots of your radio install it would help me out I'm sure as there is nothing there now . Not sure if I'm going to use the retracts or just leave them locked open . Thanks for any help .

Old 01-10-2015, 06:16 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like you have some pushrods in place already. Can you expand on what's there and what type of rods they are?

The standard classic tail servo configuration nowadays is typically a centered pull-pull rudder servo with either a single or dual elevator servos. In the case of the single elevator servo with joined pushrods, the servo is either positioned so that they pushrod is on the centerline, or better yet, locating the servo on it's side so the output to the elevators in linear along the centerline (i.e., no side to side rotation of the rod from the control horn). With two elevator servos, usually located in front of the rudder P-P setup, each pushrod is routed to the servo usually close to the spline (on a small circular output wheel, the middle hole is a good choice). These can be inboard or outboard depending on how the rods are best routed.

As for the engine pushrod and servo, there are many ways to do this but a mini servo on a flexible rod often does the trick. I see that you have a YS FR in there so with the metered engine, you can also take advantage of locating the tank about the CG. This usually means that the battery needs to be located close to the engine and the throttle servo can be located either in front or behind the fuel tank in the saddle. Positioning the throttle servo sideways (note, not on its side like the elevator servo) often works best as it puts the output close the fuse side and throttle arm and provides more space for tank and other gear (Rx) aft of it.

I hope this helps,

David
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Twinhydro
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doxilia . Those methods would apply to this . not sure about fuel tank placement VS battery placement . There is a spot for a tank directly behind the firewall but I don't think I can get a 16 oz tank in there , will check . If anyone has one of these birds and can post a photo of the rigging bay complete that would be great . Thanks .
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Classics of this kind (XLT, Escape, Deception) were designed to use slim tanks above the nose retract. Usually a Hayes slim 16 oz fits well behind the FW with the radio gear in the wing bay.

However a classic intended to fly the pattern always benefits from a tank located about the CG if the engine will permit it. The YS was specifically designed with that in mind. A long cylindrical Sullivan tank is often convenient in such a setup or even an RST or Tettra type tank.

The YS is a light yet powerful engine so I expect the battery weight up front will be needed for CG purposes.

David