Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Taurus and Astro Hog, engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 AM
reijoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus and Astro Hog, engines

Hi. I am building a Top Flite Taurus and a SIG Astro Hog at the same time. I want YS engines in them.
What to use, YS FZ 63 S, YS FZ 70 S or YS DZ 70? What is the diffrence between FZ 70S and DZ 70?
Reijoh, CPA 108, NSRCA 921
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since neither of these models needs anything much over a .46...and will be massively nose heavy and overpowered with any of these...A TT .46 will be almost perfect...
Evan.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or even a K&B .61 will power both of these aircraft with ease. Anything more than that, is just a waste of engine.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM
stuntflyr

Four strokes beat up these model's structures pretty well, so two strokes would be more applicable. Both from the pounding and the weight. A bushed 61 or BB 46 would be the proper weight for the Taurus as described above. A friend has a good flying Astro Hog with an OS 61 SF.

If you're going to use those YS engines, I'd go for the smallest for the Taurus and the bigger one for the Astro Hog.

Chris...

Last edited by stuntflyr; 01-25-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:55 PM
stuntflyr

Oh, Reijoh.
And if you're going with the 4 stroke use some quality servos, and a big battery pack. The sevos will be hunting for neutral the whole time from the banging and beating.
Chris...
Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The smallest currently available YS is the 70 which will be a bit of overkill as stated above. Get a Hyde mount for it to eliminate vibration issues.
Go the Central Hobbies website for the Hyde mount and descriptions of the two versions of the YS 70. My dad had an Astro Hog with a K&B .65
Sportster in it running a 12x6 and it had unlimited vertical. Good Luck, post some photos if you can.
-will
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having flown both planes quite a bit I can say the Hog will do fine with a four stroke, I ran an OS .91 in mine and was pleased with it but as mentioned it was a bit nose heavy. I probably wouldn't power it that way again. As for the Taurus I powered mine with an OS .61 FX and it was great. Big loops, good vertical for stall turns, top hats and M's. I would not put a four stroke in that one mostly because it wouldn't gain you anything and I'm not a YS fan anyway. In both cases I had no problems with vibration or with servo wear. Though I wouldn't do another Hog with a four stroke it sure did sound good cruising by.

Rick H.