Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Webra Speed .61 black head

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my flying buddies is running a Webra LS side exhaust, using an ASP 60 size muffler, an APC 11x10 and getting 10,600 running a bit rich on 10%.

I agree that a 12x6 probably isn't enough prop load, a 12x8 might work.

The torque curve on the Webra LS engines seems to favor rpm in the 11K range.

Jim
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Proparc,

like others mention here, the classic LS 60's were designed to turn in the 9.5-11K rpm range. This, mainly out of noise concerns and new F3A rules that came into effect at that time. Generally, depending on the engine, fuel and other factors, the engines will hit that target on props with more load in the 12x8 to 12x10 range. Some engines such as the OS Hanno were optimized to produce power at 9.5K and can turn even larger loads in the 13x8 zone.

The main and perhaps only source for the purchase of Webra engines are personal/forum exchanges and/or the auction sites. That said, the Webra LS silver band black head is a rather rare engine not often seen for sale on auction. A forum wanted ad might generate more results.

What's your application?

David
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM
proparc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doxilia
Proparc,

like others mention here, the classic LS 60's were designed to turn in the 9.5-11K rpm range. This, mainly out of noise concerns and new F3A rules that came into effect at that time. Generally, depending on the engine, fuel and other factors, the engines will hit that target on props with more load in the 12x8 to 12x10 range. Some engines such as the OS Hanno were optimized to produce power at 9.5K and can turn even larger loads in the 13x8 zone.

The main and perhaps only source for the purchase of Webra engines are personal/forum exchanges and/or the auction sites. That said, the Webra LS silver band black head is a rather rare engine not often seen for sale on auction. A forum wanted ad might generate more results.

What's your application?

David
I am mainly a control line stunt flyer but, I remember reading about all the great RC pattern flyers from the 70's and 80's. I am going to scratch build some classic pattern ships, and power them with the motors I read about in my youth.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by proparc
I am mainly a control line stunt flyer but, I remember reading about all the great RC pattern flyers from the 70's and 80's. I am going to scratch build some classic pattern ships, and power them with the motors I read about in my youth.
Well, if that's the case, you're in the right place!

That's what most if not all do here - build classics and if we can, keep them classic. Aside from the Webra LS, fortunately there are many other classic engines to be had if needed - just a matter of doing a little digging... :-)

David

P.S. You might want to also visit another classic pattern forum on RCG which sees a fair bit of traffic.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 PM
J Kikkert

Default Curare

Originally Posted by computermonkey
Have you ordered one? I don't think they have sold kits for a few years.
I don't need to order as I live in Tucson. They had a Curare in stock the other day when I was there. That is not to say they they still have it now. I am sure they are like anyone else and if they are out they will restock as soon as possible.
JERRY
Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 PM
J Kikkert

Default Prop Size

Originally Posted by proparc
You need to be careful on going too large of diameter on Classic Pattern Planes as ground clearance on the tri gear models is not near as much as on tail draggers. I've seen guys build their Classic Pattern Planes and use 4 strokes and have to go to to 3 blade props, just to get ground clearance.
Just a little more ancient knowledge.
JERRY
Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM
proparc

Originally Posted by J Kikkert
You need to be careful on going too large of diameter on Classic Pattern Planes as ground clearance on the tri gear models is not near as much as on tail draggers. I've seen guys build their Classic Pattern Planes and use 4 strokes and have to go to to 3 blade props, just to get ground clearance.
Just a little more ancient knowledge.
JERRY
Yes, you are right but since I scratch build, I can work up whatever solution is needed.