Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Is it dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yup, Just checked their website. Hobby Barn is closing their doors. I wonder what will happen to the Quality Line kits or, specifically the molds and rights to produce them?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will,

perhaps Leo will pick them up. I wonder if he's aware they are closing.

I feel like HB could have done better with their QL kits in the reopening in 2013. It seems to me that marketing and sales might have been lacking but that is always a laborious task for modellers like all of us who really want to build and fly planes.

David

Last edited by doxilia; 03-23-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

deleted

Last edited by big_G; 03-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech43
The older pattern planes are obsolete, designs change with the new schedules, the older one are just to fast.

Just try to do the Bowtie maneuver in Masters with one of the old school pattern planes. lol. All out of steam after the 1st 45* downline...
Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have anything against the current pattern planes. They are great flyers and maximize the points a pilot can make with the current rule book. No pattern plane even attempts to look like a real human carrying aircraft. IMAC is there for people who want to compete with realistic looking planes. I'm not into current FAI or AMA pattern for two reasons: 1- it's not a big thing where I live and I don't have time to travel for contests and 2- I don't have the budget for the expensive planes that are required to be competitive. There is a lot to be said for a .60 size plane being the upper limit in order to keep sizes and costs down.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:03 AM
cllaurit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jester I am with you, I am not a fan of the current setups. I get the need for them though, the current patterns demand that style with large fuse area. They just all look like blotted dolphins to me. I will admit I do like the use of electrics nowadays, no clean-up.. priceless

Last edited by cllaurit; 03-24-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoy the classic pattern planes. The planes fly great, and they do the maneuvers.
I just can't justify spending 1000 + bucks on a plane. I just wish we had more contest during the year. Thanks to the Thunderbirds, they hold two event per year. God bless em.

Frank
Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doxilia
Far from it!

You guys are just looking in the wrong forum...

Much of the RCU Classic Pattern community has migrated over to RCG in light of the issues experienced here over the last several years. It was just becoming too unreliable for threads of substance. Photos went amiss, text became garbled, uploads were a hit and miss depending on the day and so on.

Come join us at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/classic-pattern-flying-722/

David
I agree with that!

Mike
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I really love the look of older pattern planes. I built a Kwik Fli mk III last year and have a Tiger Tail getting ready for fiberglass right now.

carl
Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 PM
stuntflyr

i just found out about Hobby Barn. I thought they were doing fine by my visits. All of the sudden.
I've got to go buy the rest of their dope.
Chris...
Old 04-02-2017, 10:40 PM
stuntflyr

I love Classic, I love AMA stuff with current designs. I don't buy the latest thing and haven't flown a season since 2011 but do enjoy both types of flying. The electric models have so much power, are so light and fly so well it's too fun to not like them. They are pretty weird looking but some are pretty attractive, my favorites are Seb-Art's biplane Miss Wind 50 and the Mythos. I have a Vanquish, it's in my price range. I have a model airplane limit of a thousand bucks so those big name 2M designs aren't too much my speed. With paint, the Classics get there so none of them is exactly cheap...
Chris...

Last edited by stuntflyr; 04-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Just my opinion but I think the newer designs of pattern planes are turning people off. Stupid, tiny wings behind the cockpit. Huge winglets at the wingtips. Monstrous body height with thin widths. All totally unrealistic for real, useful airplanes, I hope classic pattern blows all these new designs away.

Again, just my opinion.
But the top F3A designs of today fly extremely well in hands of a good pilot.
It is the Schedule that lead to the designs we have today. And biplanes are rather popular today, You almost never saw a biplane in the Classic pattern Era.
I have two modern F3A planes, one Sebart MythoS Pro and one Oxai Galactika EP and they fly wery well. And one get used to the large fuselage. The wing on the Galactika is rather unusual, with very narrow wingtips, photo of my Galactika below.

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	2208802  
Old 04-10-2017, 07:29 PM
DRonland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a young boy in 70's, I would watch my late Uncle practice fly pattern for contest fly...later after a half a dozen pattern planes built they stopped around 85. I have flown many different SPA (Senior Pattern Association) planes over the years and still have the desire to compete. I am working with SPA guys now on having a West Coast SPA event in Wheatland CA, at the Red Barons' RC Flying Club- http://www.redbarons.org/- on or about October 27th. I will let you know if it drums up interest. I do know it has sparked a small interest back to glow. So we will see.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM
jester_s1

Sweet! I'd love to see SPA west be more than the DFW metroplex.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:05 AM
time907356

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to jump in in the 9th inning, but I have to agree with the sentiment that the new planes fly better....I got back into pattern three seasons ago after a 23 year break, with an equally old 1.2 OS powered turnaround plane called the Persuasion. I was amazed at the dominance of electric down the flightline, and bought a BJ Nuance from a fellow flyer. Then, I built an EU1A and put a YS .61 Classic, so my 'fleet' had representation from 3 distinct era's: Ballistic, Turnaround, and Electric. Hands down, the electric flies better...not even close. The other two have their allures (not the plane!), but in ease of flying, gracefullness, maintenance, cost, I believe the modern craft is state of the art.
But the perspective on the sport raised in this thread is accurate. We have 7 contests in D2 this year (VA-SC), dropping one from last year...but still a lot. The participant numbers a much smaller than in the past; a big contest was +40, now it's +20. And, yes, we're old men! Every chance I get, I'm trying to promote, which is something I've not had to do before. Pattern used to naturally attract competitors with talent. Now the main difference I see is that there are too many options for those individuals; quad racing being the biggest. It draws those stuck behind tv screens playing games their whole upbringing quite naturally - there's hardly a difference! When I see 4 guys sitting at a picnic table with helmets on flying the bumble bees somewhere in the woods, I wonder why they got off the couch? - Anyway, bit of a rant, but we do need to do something....if every pattern pilot did just one thing, we'd get out ahead, and bring those young guys up. I joined a local club upon returning, and started an aerobatic series that has 1/month events for Club, Sportsman, and Intermediate. We practice/coach Thursdays for those interested. We've had up to 8 pilots participate, and two to travel to local AMA events. Seems to be working!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:03 PM
jester_s1

I think competing in general is in decline. The average participant in the hobby is getting older, and older guys are more often happy to fly a little then sit and talk. 10 years ago my area had a vibrant IMAC scene, a significant racing series, and SPA was starting. We had a few combat events here and there too. Now the vast majority of events are fly ins, which are mostly put your plane together and then sit and talk ins. SPA still has a core in DFW, but it's shrinking. IMAC is all but gone, and F3A hasn't been big here in years. Youngsters are the ones who want to compete, and you're right, time. FPV racing is where those with a competitive spirit mostly are. I'm really curious where that segment of the hobby will develop in a few more years. Some of those guys might become plane guys, or maybe drones will displace planes. Time will tell.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 PM
countilaw

Originally Posted by stuntflyr
i just found out about Hobby Barn. I thought they were doing fine by my visits. All of the sudden.
I've got to go buy the rest of their dope.
Chris...
They are selling a lot of stuff on e-bay.

Frank
Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Originally Posted by countilaw
They are selling a lot of stuff on e-bay.

Frank
Do you have a link to their store?