Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Classic Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Equipment

Now that we have a Forum for these timeless planes. I would like to see what other "Classic Accessories" that you guys are using in these "Classic Designs". Weather is it a old radio, engine,rhom air retracts, or even stuff that is sitting around collecting dust... lets hear about them.

One thing that is a "must have" for me is the Kraft slim line wheels. Yeah.... they are a little heavy by todays standards (gives me a extra 2mph in a dive), but they sure look good! They make any old school pattern look just a little sweater looking on the ground. They also tuck up real nice when the gear is retracted. I wish they would make these wheels again!

Lets hear what you have!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31695.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	286111  
Old 06-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Classic Equipment

I found a pack of 3 inch Kraft wheels in my part s box, still in the original package too. Now I just need to figure out what to put a set of 3 inch wheels on. LOL
Old 06-16-2005, 10:29 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I HAD an original UFO, signed on the wing by Joe himself, with Ace servos, kraft electric retracts (that still work to this day) equipped with a Webra 61 and yes those original kraft wheels all the way round. Jeez I just got rid of that plane about 2 months ago, what an idiot I am.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The classic pattern included some ground handling points from engine startup, taxi out to the end of the runway for take off, to landing, procedure stop and taxi back to the hanger. It always amazed me how many of the pattern pilots could fly some of the complicated maneuvers pretty well but the one they consistently messed up was the landing points. They would make crash landings or would run off the end of the runway. The landing required a straight rollout ending in a procedure stop. After the stop was completed you had to taxi back to the designated hanger that was also the engine startup area. Many pilots complained that the ground points took up too much time but I believe the main problem was that many couldn’t constantly make high point landings. To assist in the procedure stop on landing and the stop before the take off roll wheel brakes were used. Phil Kraft used a mechanical linkage that rubbed on the both of the main gear wheels but Du-bro and Rocket City made brakes that were usually installed on the nose wheel. Dub-bro also made an electric disc brake.

The first image below shows a Du-bro brake on the left and a Rocket City brake on the right. The second image shows the installation of a Du-bro brake. The cable is connected to the elevator servo so that down elevator applies the brake.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26154.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	286929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35388.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	286930  
Old 06-19-2005, 12:34 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8178, That is a hot set up. I was admiring it from your Kwik Fli build thread. It looks simple enough to install. Looks to be very effective. Sure beats the O-ring behind the wheel trick. Pain in the butt to get the right amount of pressure from side to side of the main landing gear.