Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Gator Flea

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gator Flea

I have a set of wing cores for this plane....don't ask...I have no idea how I got them.

I know nothing about the plane they are for and would like to learn about it. OR if you have a fuse and need the wings let me know as a set of cores does me no good.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gator Flea

You can get the plans from Model Airplane News.

http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...d=41&catego=PL
Old 08-09-2005, 08:39 PM
petec

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cool...I might just have to buy the plans
Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

As I remember this bird was extremely fast and extremely stable.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:12 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paternguy

I wonder what happened to Rhett Miller III. He was a great RC flyer.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 8178

ORIGINAL: Paternguy

I wonder what happened to Rhett Miller III. He was a great RC flyer.
There can't be to many Rhett Miller III, in the southern US. He appears to be afilliated with the Dallas Bethlehem Center.
http://www.dallasbethlehemcenter.org...all03_News.pdf
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 AM
GM1

When I recently moved, I found an original Soutern RC Gator Flea kit, NIB, that I had no clue was in my closet. I live in Tallahassee where Rhett grew up and flew with him quite a bit when I was young. The Compensator was my all time favorite pattern airplane and I had three. I would love to find a NIB Compensator kit now as it is still among the best classic designs.
Gordie
Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
knotnuts

I sure would be interested in that kit!! These posts are really old but if you see it and still have that kit, lets communicate!!!LOL
Old 11-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Sundance120

I bought the Gator Flea from Gordie a while back and it is in my stable of current build projects, thanks.

Bruce Feaver

Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 AM
knotnuts

ORIGINAL: Sundance120

I bought the Gator Flea from Gordie a while back and it is in my stable of current build projects, thanks.

Bruce Feaver

Good luck with it!!! It is a great flying bird! Build it light...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
PatternPilot

Contact Dennis Hunt , I think I saw a Gator Flea kit at his shop the other day.

scott
SPA 239
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team Castle Creations
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
knotnuts

I'll sure ask Dennis! I hope to be at KCRC this weekend. It's been about 25 years since I've flown very much. Looking forward to renewing my interest.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM
PatternPilot

Dennis is in the progress of moving his workshop now and should be done in another week or so, but you can always call him. And welcome back and I'm also going to try to make it to KCRC.

Scott
Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Sundance120

Thanks, Knotnuts, I bought a set of retracts for it and have done my research on teh airplane, the stab in the kit was designed to be flat but in the articles and pictures, it is a dimond airfoil stab. I will be making some modifications and will make the kit with a dimond stab. Otherwise, it is an airplane that I am really looking forward to building. I am on the process of finnishing a Johnny Casburn Super Lucky Fly II from scratch, it is my lead in sport pattern to the Gator Flea for the .40 and a Hanno Prettner Calypso with a piped YS .61 and a Bridi XLT. I am on a process of moving to BPA airplanes and i wan to progress correctly. All fun anyway.

Cheers

Bruce
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
knotnuts

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

Dennis is in the progress of moving his workshop now and should be done in another week or so, but you can always call him. And welcome back and I'm also going to try to make it to KCRC.

Scott
Hopefully Jerel want have to work this Saturday and I've asked him for a little help.. Hopefully the sticks will come back quickly! I haven't been out of R/C completely having done quite a bit of Oval racing in Maryville. I was at KCRC a couple of weeks ago and reaquainted some old friends and I do mean old!!LOL (Jerel,Ed Hartley, Phil Cope and Dennis) Looking forward meeting a lot of the other folks as well. George Holcombe..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
PatternPilot

George,

If you where out for the KCRC picnic I was there selling stuff (servo extensions) and flying my big electric plane..
If I'm there be more than willing to give you a hand..

scott
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 AM
knotnuts

It was the week before the picnic that I was there. Thanks for the offer, I'll be there Saturday. I have an electric Mini Sportster. I hope that it will get me back to decent landings. If I get another receiver in I may want to test fly an Extra SHP from 3-D Hobby as well! I'm really pumped about flying again. See you Saturday! I have tried to contact Dennis by the phone # listed on the KCRC site but haven't got an answer. I guess that he's been busy moving. I still have a hangar full of glow powered ships ( Curare, North Star, Pitts S2A, and a 1/2a pylon racer called the Quick Silver) but my attention has turned to electric and am seriously considering going electric for the Gator Flea when I find one. Remind me to tell you the story of the demise of my first Gator Flea. LOL [][] I'll bet that an electric Gator Flea will really bring out the GROANS!!!! LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
PatternPilot

here is his number 865-483-8373

you can reach me at my email [email protected]

I think he has one flea kit left..... I think electric would be great... You should break out the Curare and do some flying with it.

scott

Old 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM
knotnuts

First things first!!LOL The Curare has some work to be done before it can fly! All the airlines for the retracts have dry rotted! LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
knotnuts

ORIGINAL: Sundance120

Thanks, Knotnuts, I bought a set of retracts for it and have done my research on teh airplane, the stab in the kit was designed to be flat but in the articles and pictures, it is a dimond airfoil stab. I will be making some modifications and will make the kit with a dimond stab. Otherwise, it is an airplane that I am really looking forward to building. I am on the process of finnishing a Johnny Casburn Super Lucky Fly II from scratch, it is my lead in sport pattern to the Gator Flea for the .40 and a Hanno Prettner Calypso with a piped YS .61 and a Bridi XLT. I am on a process of moving to BPA airplanes and i wan to progress correctly. All fun anyway.

Cheers

Bruce
I built it flat on the one I had.. Much easier to get the incidence right for me..LOL It flew great with the flat stab. I didn't have retracts (trike gear). I think if I find one I'll build it as a tail dragger to conserve weight
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Sundance120

That's good to know, perhaps for this airplane the flat stab is as good as the dimond stab, perhaps I will make it a normal airfoil and go from there. The retracts are a skill step for me and even tho they may add a bit of weight, I am hooked on looks in the air. I can always build a second one now that I have a kit I can make parts and duplicate it, I can do that kind of stuff.

Anyway,

Cheers

Bruce