Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tower kaos .60 mod and spa compliance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tower kaos .60 mod and spa compliance

I wish you luck in your quest for drawings , instructions and extraneous parts and advice.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ed... I'm really surprised that no one seems to have saved the plans or the instructions. I know it's a simple airplane, but I'm beginning to think I have parts from two different airplanes. As stated earlier, I have two sets of wing ribs (not identical), and I'm beginning to think that I also have two sets of formers (also not identical). It's hard to be sure, but there are some that seem unlikely. One is labeled "3A" and another is labeled "4A". These look like turtle deck formers. There's a piece labeled BG, sort of a triangle with each corner a different shape, and one side has an obvious curve. There's a piece marked DG, this time with a sharp 90 degree angle and a curved side opposite that angle (like a slice of pie). There's a 12" long by 3.5" wide piece with cutouts and tabs. Lots of rectangular pieces of various size. A bag of small ply/hardwood pieces and a few loose pieces that look like some of the pieces in the bag. I'm guessing that if the ply sheet that includes 3A and the other ply sheet that includes 4A are incorrect for this model, then all the other parts on these ply sheets are also incorrect. That would leave a ply sheet with F2, F4, and an unnamed former, a smaller ply sheet with a couple of rectangular pieces, and the big 12" part that I can't identify a function for. I don't seem to have any redundant balsa parts, however. I wonder if it could be that I don't actually have a Tower Kaos 60, but something else in the Kaos box. Something with a turtledeck. I sure hope someone can help me sort this out.

ChiefK
Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have stated previously, my memory isn't the best, but I'm of the opinion that the Kaos you have (GP) also included extra parts that are needed to build the Ultra Sport 60.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mmm...

that's exactly what I just suggested to Greg in an email. Actually, if memory serves, that exact same scenario was described in another thread some years ago here on the forum (or an RCG). I think that Tower originally sold the Ultra Sport in a Kaos box. Depending on which planform you wanted to end up with, you used different or additional wood.

I think the US is built up on the Kaos fuse - basically the turtle deck is added so it shouldn't be an issue.

Greg, if you can, take some pics of what's in the kit and we might be able to help sort it out.

Do you have more recent Ultra Sport plans? They might shed some light on what parts coincide with what you have in the kit, if the parts naming was retained. It's worth a shot.

David.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, David,....

I had never heard that about the Tower Kaos 60. No mention on the box either.

I think you both are spot-on though. David, the ribs that I believe belong to the Kaos 60 are indeed VERY thick. I do not have Ultra Sport plans either, but it's the Kaos version that I want to build. Thanks to your input though, at least I don't feel like I'm going crazy. I know what the planform should look like. The wing build should be very straight forward (now that I know which ribs to use). It's a bonus that the Kaos ribs have the wing jig holes and lightening holes already done.

One thing that's still making me nervous is the ply fuselage doublers. When I place them so that the wing saddle curves line up, the front of the doubler does not extend to where I have to assume the firewall will be placed. It falls about 1.5" short of the place I would think it should reach.

I'll add a photo in a few minutes . Well.... I'll post one when the upload is working again.

Greg