Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tower Kaos 40 – Discussion

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tower Kaos 40 – Discussion

Ed,

I’ve always found them good to deal with but like you say you need to careful how you order. Sometimes the same item will have two different numbers that change what the price is or what items come with it. I recently ordered an OS 50SX and didn’t use the correct number to get a free item. They did say that they would send me the free item on my next order though.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 8178

Ed,

I’ve always found them good to deal with but like you say you need to careful how you order. Sometimes the same item will have two different numbers that change what the price is or what items come with it. I recently ordered an OS 50SX and didn’t use the correct number to get a free item. They did say that they would send me the free item on my next order though.

-----------------

That is the kind of stuff that ticks me a bit.

I spend a lot of money, from my perspective, at their online store. I should be treated accordingly. How difficult would it be to assign a code to each customer's account number to enable them to automatically get the best deal every time they place an order.

I know. They want you to scour over their pages because of the old theory that the longer I am in the store, the more that I will buy. That may have worked at one time, but now the practice is insulting and annoying.

No one likes to be asked at the field what they paid for an item and then four other guys chime in with saying they paid a lower price because they poured over the ad material like a dedicated housewife clipping coupons. It's a male/female thing to me. I shouldn't have to pay more for being a male.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to stir everyone up, but I just called Tower Hobbies again just now. If i order (2) Tower Kaos's I could get these for $94.00 each. Someone at Tower Hobbies at the order desk last week might have been mistaken.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM
multicasting

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An update on My KAOS;
I now have 6 flights on it. The Rossi is doing it's job well. The airframe appears to be holding up well. The same can't be said for the covering. The trim stripes, and leading edge covering are coming off the horizontal stab. The covering is peeling back. The covering on the vertical stab is also coming apart. This is after spending several hours working on the covering to get out the wrinkles. I wrote Tower an E-mail. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Bob
Old 03-05-2006, 05:30 AM
NM2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: multicasting

An update on My KAOS;
I now have 6 flights on it. The Rossi is doing it's job well. The airframe appears to be holding up well. The same can't be said for the covering. The trim stripes, and leading edge covering are coming off the horizontal stab. The covering is peeling back. The covering on the vertical stab is also coming apart. This is after spending several hours working on the covering to get out the wrinkles. I wrote Tower an E-mail. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Bob

----------------

I used to seal all the edges of my trim, Monokote or otherwise, with thinned K&B Superpoxy clear paint using a very, very fine brush. Of course, once this is done, simply running the iron over the covering and trim to reshrink it is problematic. But, it wouldn't peel off.

I have been tempted to do the same thing with water based polyurethane clear. Again, it should be understood that leisurely use of a sealing iron will be lost.

There were other, more advanced ways of accomplishing this, but I forget the method. I think it involved using a Top Flite solvent. Anyone else remember?

Glad you got yours flying, Bob. Which engine are you using? TIA
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
multicasting

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

I used to seal all the edges of my trim, Monokote or otherwise, with thinned K&B Superpoxy clear paint using a very, very fine brush. Of course, once this is done, simply running the iron over the covering and trim to reshrink it is problematic. But, it wouldn't peel off.

snip snip

Glad you got yours flying, Bob. Which engine are you using? TIA
I have a Rossi .40 with a pipe. I actually purchased a Rossi .45 (black head) at a large hobby shop near me in Dallas. It was a used engine, and the shop has a good reputation for selling used engines. Unfortunately upon inspection, and measurements, I discovered it was a 6.5 CC or .40 size. (Size was not stamped on the case). Fortunately, it is a rossi, and the piped .40 has no problem with a 10/6 prop. Vertical is very smooth, but there is little power left in reserve.

I would like more info on sealing the seams. Will regular epoxy thinned with alchohol work?

Bob
Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Jim_Purcha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Picked up a Tower Kaos ARF on Ebay for 71.15 + shipping. Shipping to Canada is $23.00. But i still beat Tower's special price of $99. It's only been the special price for months now.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey folks,
I just did the annual on my Kaos and flew it again.(flying season is here again!) I found a few things that needed to be fixed on it. I'm glad I did it. I fly it fast all the time and don't want anything to come loose. So, just a reminder, do the annual!

50%

Oh, BTW, it keeps gatting better with time! This has got to be the sweetest plane of all time!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 AM
choopi
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What a good plane for the price, I like Tower good price and good quality! They only thing, it's a bit slow on snap roll. Mine is with an OS46AX. There's an inflight video of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9u_fzgkW8E

Eric T.
http://www.ualberta.ca/~ejt/Erics.website/index.htm
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice work on the video! Check your CG. It should do fast snaps. Is the covering staying attached OK?

I have a modified kit version powered by a Irvine 53 that I enjoy flying.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
choopi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After some pratice, it does snap now, pretty fast too. After about 4hrs of flying time the covering is still intact, I sealed all with nail polish.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38823.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	518826  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
choopi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good plane,

The spin is fun with that one, very fast and stop as soon as you neutralize the control.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM
choopi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's not a bad plane at all, if you make sure that you seal all the edges with the clear nail polish, it always work for me. ALso you can just iron the covering at medium low temp. The OS 46 is a perfect match with a 11x7 prop. If you want to do pattern just for fun it's not to bad but there is better plane out there, but I like the Kaos, it's a classic!

There some link for more clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSueJbtZFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAHICOPGnbc

Eric
http://www.ualberta.ca/~ejt/Erics.website/index.htm
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 AM
choopi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm just curious, if I want the plane to snap faster, where do I need to move the C of G?

Let me know!

Eric
Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 AM
pimmnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cause of the wing section you might not be able to get the thing to snap with the CG in any flyable position. Snaps (horizontal spins) need sharper and thinner sections so that the wing will stay stalled through the figure. As for sealing the trim, I have had good results with Solarfilm's `Clearcoat'. Drys quickly, remains flexible and stays stuck to the film but can be removed with dope thinner if required.
Evan.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 AM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Tower Kit and a set of templates (masonite) for the original Kaos. The Tower ribs a larger all around. Some one who knows more about Kaos than I do said that this was done to accommodate the newer engines and particulary the .46. I did not have a set of instructions for the Tower Kit and called Tower, who referred me to Great Planes for a instruction booklet. Were/are they the same?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Jim_Purcha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Evening Dave, I emailed you a scan of the tower kaos instruction manual. Did you receive it?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
NM2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: choopi

I'm just curious, if I want the plane to snap faster, where do I need to move the C of G?

Let me know!

Eric

------------

Move the CG rearward and give your control surfaces, ALL OF THEM as much throw as you can without causing the servos to buzz. You can always use low rate for more civilized control throws for normal flying.

Even with the thick airfoil, this model is not difficult to make snaproll or spin at a very good rate. Even the Trainer 40 and 60 would snap roll and spin with enough control throw and even using the recommended CG range.

One problem, though, in the old days at least, was having a servo strong enough to deploy the surface completely when airborne. The old heavy duty standard servo, the Kraft KPS-15, only produced 28 oz./inches of torque. Seriously. And we flew piped .60 sized models using those servos. No wonder our models wouldn't knife-edge worth a hoot. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
robert85614

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Saito 80 4 stroke. what would I have to do to get it in a Kaos?

Would it be worth the effort?

Robert
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: robert85614

I have a Saito 80 4 stroke. what would I have to do to get it in a Kaos?

Would it be worth the effort?

Robert
The ARF version tends to come out a little nose heavy so I doubt if it would worthwhile. I originally had an OS 46FX in my kit version but found that an Irvine 53 with the muffler baffle removed worked better. I have a couple of new OS 50SXs but I haven’t tried them yet. With a 55 1/2” wing span and 566 sq in of wing area it is a small 60 size aircraft not really a 40 size aircraft. I expect the lightest hottest engine would be your best choice and that would be a two stroke.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: choopi

Let me know!

Eric

------------

Move the CG rearward and give your control surfaces, ALL OF THEM as much throw as you can without causing the servos to buzz. You can always use low rate for more civilized control throws for normal flying.

Even with the thick airfoil, this model is not difficult to make snaproll or spin at a very good rate. Even the Trainer 40 and 60 would snap roll and spin with enough control throw and even using the recommended CG range.

One problem, though, in the old days at least, was having a servo strong enough to deploy the surface completely when airborne. The old heavy duty standard servo, the Kraft KPS-15, only produced 28 oz./inches of torque. Seriously. And we flew piped .60 sized models using those servos. No wonder our models wouldn't knife-edge worth a hoot. <G>

Ed Cregger

My Kaos tends to fly better all around with a more foward CG. Especially snaps.

Here's a video from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bArZvxEhRAU

50%
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 AM
NM2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Erm, Chris, I didn't see one true snap roll in your video.

A snap roll is a form of auto rotation, like the spin.

Move your balance point (incorrectly called CG) rearward and you will notice that your model will rotate around an axis passing thru the fuselage. Your model is flying around this axis with the fuselage and is not rotating about the axis.

How to verify that your model is truly snap rolling:

Climb high and enter a spin. The model will descend with the nose lowered (not straight down) and with the fuselage rotating as though it was sliding down an iron rod from a common point in the fuselage, not wobbling around the iron rod.

Some pattern models, especially the later ballistic models that closely resembled jets, could not perform a true spin (or snap roll - same thing) without a lot of work being done by the modeler. In fact, it was a matter of debate as to whether some of those models ever actually performed autorotation at all.

Nice flying, by the way. You done good.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 AM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, I only did one snap in the video.(last one before the credits) I was mainly just showing how well my Kaos flys with a foward CG. I'm hoping to get a full length video soon. I need a new motor mount first and maybe a Vess prop though.

50%
Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Nathan King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Ed on the snaps. Boy you really get risky with that thing. Did you tap the grass right after takeoff?

Neat video. I wish I had the hardware to create one. []
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

I agree with Ed on the snaps. Boy you really get risky with that thing. Did you tap the grass right after takeoff?

Neat video. I wish I had the hardware to create one. []

lol I did that video for another site. The "snap-a-saurus" on takeoff was what it was about. I touched both wingtips, both elevators, and the rudder on takeoff. I'm not really risky with it. I know every aspect of the plane and I can predict how it's going to fly as I have an uncountable number of flights on it. Unless I liked burning money, I wouldn't fly any other plane like that without the knowledge that I have.

As far as video hardware, I'm using a standard camcorder and editing it with WMM.

50%

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.