Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Blue Angel - Build

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
kr9x

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Blue Angel - Build

I have the balsa and ply on order for mine but don't have the cores or canopy from Dan yet. No big rush here as I have another project on the board now for SPA. The Blue Angel is a gorgeous airplane no doubts there and both of the builds here on RCU are great!!

Jon W
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
giorgiotnt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lavoro bellissimo !!! Complimenti !

Un saluto dall' Italia Giorgio

Gorizia Italia Airshow 1978 Blue Angel MK Kato Rossi 60 FI Aereo risonanza Rossi
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Giorgio

Thanks for the nice comments and posting the Blue Angel pictures. Very nice!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, did you notice the flaps?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I saw them. Expect they might be a spooler/flap combination. Really neat pictures.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
giorgiotnt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

spoiler and flap system was not foreseen in the original design, but I saw how it worked on the Curare of Prettner and I took the liberty of copying it. In fact it worked so well

I would attach a photo of my Phoenix 7 Dave Brown did not find anything on this model if you can help ...... thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got this nice little package delivered by my dad.

Built in 1982, OS 46 abc rear exhaust. mk retracts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	om31752.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	1471485  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
edwarda10pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chuck:

Looks nice. Can't wait to see it fly.

Ed
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The next build project is a FK SBA Speeda 60 kit. The FK SBA speeda (SBA = Super Blue Angel) is a copy of the MK Blue Angel desing that has a glass fuse and foam wing. The build can be seen here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7510820/tm.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

I posted info about this plane in another post on this forum. Here is the post:

This is my first post here and since Ifound the name of the kit I was looking for in this post I will ask this question here.

In 1981 Iwent to Denmark to work for the summer (when I was 17) and with the money earned Ibought a Kato Model Aircraft kit called the Blue Angel Jr for .40 sized engines. I also bought a .45 OS max FSR engine for it (seeing as the physical size was the same).

Inever really got to finish the kit because the gas tank that I bought for this kit was one size too big (it was the oval type) and the model shop shut down before Icould get in touch with it. So Igave the model away. But I have always wanted to find the kit and try again as Isaw this kit fly and I thought it was wonderful.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to the company?And if it is possible to get this kit somehow? I understand that these kits are considered classic and very rare, but I was hopnig that somone would have bought one of these and kept the plans. What happened to the guy who desinged them?

Would love to find out more about this kit.

So, now I know that this kit is not made anymore. The images of the plans brought back so many memories. I would absolutely love to buy the full set of plans that are shown here. When I bought this kit the first time this was the first kit Iever bought so Ihad no comparison to go by. Only now do I see the remarkable quality of the plans after reading what others have said about this kit.

Having given this kit away it is one of the few things that Iregret doing. But then I had no idea what I had at the time.

Thank you for having such a great forum where this info can be found. I have been looking onand off for a number of years about this kit.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: judgedredd

Hi,

I posted info about this plane in another post on this forum. Here is the post:

This is my first post here and since I found the name of the kit I was looking for in this post I will ask this question here.

In 1981 I went to Denmark to work for the summer (when I was 17) and with the money earned I bought a Kato Model Aircraft kit called the Blue Angel Jr for .40 sized engines. I also bought a .45 OS max FSR engine for it (seeing as the physical size was the same).

I never really got to finish the kit because the gas tank that I bought for this kit was one size too big (it was the oval type) and the model shop shut down before I could get in touch with it. So I gave the model away. But I have always wanted to find the kit and try again as I saw this kit fly and I thought it was wonderful.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to the company? And if it is possible to get this kit somehow? I understand that these kits are considered classic and very rare, but I was hopnig that somone would have bought one of these and kept the plans. What happened to the guy who desinged them?

Would love to find out more about this kit.

So, now I know that this kit is not made anymore. The images of the plans brought back so many memories. I would absolutely love to buy the full set of plans that are shown here. When I bought this kit the first time this was the first kit I ever bought so I had no comparison to go by. Only now do I see the remarkable quality of the plans after reading what others have said about this kit.

Having given this kit away it is one of the few things that I regret doing. But then I had no idea what I had at the time.

Thank you for having such a great forum where this info can be found. I have been looking onand off for a number of years about this kit.

IMHO It is without question one of the most beautiful l designs ever. You are in luck, as stated in the back part of the thread the plans, canopy and wing cores can be ordered from Carolina Custom Aircraft.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When Iget the plans Iam going to do it the traditional way, no foam cores or anything.

The plans shown at the beginning of the thread were obtained from this source?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: judgedredd

When I get the plans I am going to do it the traditional way, no foam cores or anything.

The plans shown at the beginning of the thread were obtained from this source?
Yes, but the plans do not show the wing or stab rib profiles. Carolina Custom Aircraft setup their foam wing cutting machine with wing and stab ribs from a kit.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iwent through the thread and saw the progress from start to finish. What a great build.

Thank you for sharing this.

Brings back many memories. Iactually flunked my physics exam (and tried for 3 years to get it!!) because Ispent most of my time at home building this kit. Then found that I had the wrong tank size and so couldn't go further.

Anyone know where Ican get a set of plans for the smaller plane (for .40-.45 engines - has a slightly shorter wingspan - for some reason Iremember the figure of 59.5 inches for this measurement)?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know if anyone has done it, but Ihave taken the relevant text and pictures in this post and made a pdf file out of them. The pdf is about 52-53MB in size and has about 469 pages.

The pdf file can be found here:

http://www.matrixfiles.com/Blue-Angel-build.pdf

This took me about 4 days to do, and is a thank you to 8178 and to all those that contributed to this thread.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right-click on the link and that will give you a menu where you can choose to save it.

Otherwise it will open up in a browser window (Mozilla).
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! Thanks judgedredd, what an amazing amount of work!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 AM
doxilia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, massive undertaking!

I've considered assembling a couple of threads into such a document myself a couple of times but could never bring myself to do it.

This will be a great reference for anyone wanting to build a BA. Big thanks to 8178 for his thread and another to JD for assembling this doc.

David.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Only a couple of builders on RCSB (and 8178 here) have ever impressed me enough to want to save the build thread. Monocoupe and Sevarg are the 2 over on RCSB, although there are more, but glad to see that some have had the same idea.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, thank you all for the thanks.

But if it wasn't for the meticulous pictorial diary that 8178 put here, and the obvious care with which he documented the build then it would not have inspired me to do this.

I am, as are many others, a very visual person and what I intensely dislike on the internet are those people who explain visual things by words. Drives me absolutely loopy and gets me very angry. So when Ifound this thread Iwent through it in one sitting. It was a feast for my intellect as well as my eyes. A wonderful balance was struck between explanation and visual imagery, with a pronounced slant towards the visual aspect which worked great.

I do have another question though that has puzzled me ever since I gave away my Blue Angel kit back in the early '80s.

I bought my Blue Angel Kit at Kingo Hobbies near Copenhagen, Denmark (amazing Ican still remember the name), and when a friend of my mothers went back there on a trip Iasked her to pop in to get the correct size tank (oval - where DOES one get these by the way?). Needless to say the shop had closed.

When Ihad originally purchased this kit Ihad bought most of the stuff in one go (apart from the radio gear) including an OSMax 45 FSR with tuned pipe and manifold. Now here is my question.....

Does anyone one remember any manufacturer that made exhaust manifolds out of cast aluminum? Because that is what the manifold Ibought was made from. Whereas normally you have quite an ugly manfold consisting of a flat piece of metal with a rectangular hole for the exhaust gases and a curved pipe welded to it, this manifold was a one piece cast aluminum item that had a wonderful shape to it and started just beyond the screws which attached it to the engine and then it tapered into a pipe fitting. It was designed for the exhaust port of an engine to be facing the ground so that it just bolted on and was already pointing to the back of the plane in the correct position for the pipe to be attached without a hitch. The tuned pipe was attached to the manifold by a 3 inch length of silicone tubing (which was quite difficult to put on). The tuned pipe was attached to the airframe with one bracket.

The tuned pipe was also different to all the designs Ihave ever seen. Instead of having a small exhaust tube sticking out the back, it had it hidden inside a recess. The outside of the pipe had a few degrees chamfer on it that started about an inch from the back, and went beyond the end of the small exhaust pipe so that it hid it. The other thing is the tuned pipe was also made out of aluminum. (And here I am talking about a visual thing with words!!). It was very cool looking and much nicer than any other I have seen. It also increased the power quite a bit over the stock manifold/exhaust pipe.

If anyone has any ideasas to who made these items (manifold and tuned pipe) I would be most grateful for it.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've gone to the trouble of coming up with a rough image of the tuned pipe Imentioned. Just photoshopped it from memory. Rough, but pretty close especially the back end. Will see about doing the same thing for the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sq47428.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1580057  
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the manifold shape that Iremember. It is rough but the concept is there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	He97143.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1580070  
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used a Sullivan R-12 Standard Round Tank 12 oz. that is a bit small for a piped 61.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
judgedredd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Back in those days (early '80s) I bought a Futaba radio unit for my Blue Angel that had a slightly light blue (?) anodised steel finish.

Is it worth my while getting units from back in those days? Or would there be issues with them (apart from changing the batteries)?

Am looking at

Futaba FP-T6FG/K and FP-T7FG/K units, as these were pretty close to the style of what I had. Iprefer analogue to digital for the signal but digital for the servos. Would this combo work? Probably not the best place to post this.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
speed-panzer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since you bought your Blue Angel stuff in Copenhagen, it may be very likely that it was a Sonex tuned pipe.

The conical end piece with the little bit recessed exhaust pipe is machined from bar stock material, which then is riveted to the silencer tube. This same end piece is used in the Minivox silencers, they were very popular in germany in the 70´s and 80´s.
The pipes were nice, but comparively heavy.

http://www.extron.net/html/body_schalldampfer.html

Header - I have seen that kind of cast header as you sketch it, in my memory it was in a Simprop catalog together with Super Tigre engines. May find time over the weekend to check that.

Search this Thread