Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ARF's of the old Classics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:39 PM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF's of the old Classics

I had all these same thoughts and feelings as you guys, till I went and flew in an SPA contest. Now I have a "legal" SPA plane, and I'll tell you, it's not crippled. All I flew was retracts and tuned pipes, so I had the same views as you guys. Once you go to a contest and see the gear, and fly one of their planes, you'll see there is no difference. They fly just as smooth with the gear down, and I never thought I'd say that. I flew Rossi and YS 60s. The Rossi is a big beefy 60, add the header and the pipe, and you're weighing more then a Surpass. Add the retracts, and there is more weight. THat's one thing you guys aren't thinking about, you can build these planes lighter then "back in the day", even with the OS Surpasses. Lighter planes, lower wingloading, smoother flying. Give it a try, I'll bet you catch the bug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57286.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	434917  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Mturowski

This is a follow up to my earlier post on the Daddy Rabbit plans from the AMA. I received the plans and there is a notation on them that the plane is the 1966 Nationals winner. This may be the plan that some of you are looking for. Also, Zimpro sells everything from foam wings, stab cores to ARC to cover planes. The Zimpro plane looks like it has been modified somewhat from the AMA plan (tail, nose). Hopefully, this is helpful.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

I had all these same thoughts and feelings as you guys, till I went and flew in an SPA contest. Now I have a "legal" SPA plane, and I'll tell you, it's not crippled. All I flew was retracts and tuned pipes, so I had the same views as you guys. Once you go to a contest and see the gear, and fly one of their planes, you'll see there is no difference.
Trader!!!! (LOL) I am kidding.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: mshafer

Just my opinion once more but pre 1976 designs (as per SPA rules) were designed around 10cc engines and retracts. I understand the rationale of cheaper (no retracts nor "hot" 10 cc setups) but crippling a good design with fixed gear and then compensating by allowing more horsepower four strokes just seems.... wrong---> Advantage Daddy Rabbit

Mike Shafer

Retracts were only common after 1972 or 73. There are no planes I am aware of that was designed for pipes only till late 76 or early 77. I know of no design that will not fly well with the gear down. Especially with conventional gear and pants. Though I suspect a tail dragger will occasionally deduct some landing points with some of the judges. A slightly bounced three point landing would look almost perfect with a tricycle gear.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Problem is, a Mach 1 is designed to fly with retracts, which are banned in SPA competition. Those old ballistic screamers don't fly for beans with the landing gear hanging out.

Don't know about the Mach I but the Intruder was also designed for retracts. As were most if not all designed after 72.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that is true.

As long as everyone is is carrying the same handicap, it doesn't matter to me. In fact, some of the later aircraft that really flew fast would suffer the most from having the gear hanging out in the breeze. That might be a good leveler for those flying the Kaos, etc.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 PM
eness76-RCU

ORIGINAL: impactiq

I had all these same thoughts and feelings as you guys, till I went and flew in an SPA contest. Now I have a "legal" SPA plane, and I'll tell you, it's not crippled. All I flew was retracts and tuned pipes, so I had the same views as you guys. Once you go to a contest and see the gear, and fly one of their planes, you'll see there is no difference.
Trader!!!! (LOL) I am kidding.
Are you going to make it to Cullman for the open this year? I sure hope somebody takes advantage of it. Steve is making it available again, and again it seems nobody wants to fly. I've seen the pic of your piped beauty, you ought to get er' down there!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
GM1

My problem with this is that I DID build and fly in those times (late 60s, early 70s) and ALL of my pattern models, Super Kaos, Dirty Dirdy, Intruder, Cutlass, Compensator, and later Curare, Tipo, Hippo, and Atlanta all had retracts. I am aware that the models can be made to fly well with fixed gear, but damn, they don't look the same, and the ONLY reason I would want one now is nostalgia, not flight characteristics.
I currently have an Excelleron 90 with a YS 110, Futaba 14MZ, and fixed gear that flies amazingly well, better than any pattern model I owned in that era but it's NOT the same. If/when I do build another Compensator, (I had 3) it will have a 4 stroke and retracts. I know that excludes me from SPA but, Oh Well. I curently compete in F3C and get plenty of competition there so a nostalgia model would just be for my enjoyment anyway.
Anyway to get back onto the topic, yes, I would be interested in an ARF or SARF Compensator.
Gordie
Old 03-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

My problem with this is that I DID build and fly in those times (late 60s, early 70s) and ALL of my pattern models, Super Kaos, Dirty Dirdy, Intruder, Cutlass, Compensator, and later Curare, Tipo, Hippo, and Atlanta all had retracts.
Yes they had retracts in the 60's, late 60's anyway. But they were not common, and models were usually not designed for them, so most were an afterthought. However, I don't see any 60's design in your list? Some are early 70's, the Super Kaos for example was a redesign of the Kaos, specifically to add retracts. I believe the Kaos was published in 1970 and the Super Kaos in 72 or 73. The Intruder came out in 72 or 73. ....not sure about the Compensator.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

If/when I do build another Compensator, (I had 3) it will have a 4 stroke and retracts. I know that excludes me from SPA but, Oh Well. I curently compete in F3C and get plenty of
Actually you would be legal, you simply do not use the retracts. It will slow the plane down, but not as much as you might think, and of course you may need to retrim.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
eness76-RCU

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

If/when I do build another Compensator, (I had 3) it will have a 4 stroke and retracts. I know that excludes me from SPA but, Oh Well. I curently compete in F3C and get plenty of
Actually you would be legal, you simply do not use the retracts. It will slow the plane down, but not as much as you might think, and of course you may need to retrim.
Sport Pilot said it right. If you want retracts and like retracts, put in retracts. If the mood strikes you right and you want to try an SPA contest, just don't retract the gear. You can have the best of both worlds then.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:28 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Are you going to make it to Cullman for the open this year? I sure hope somebody takes advantage of it. Steve is making it available again, and again it seems nobody wants to fly. I've seen the pic of your piped beauty, you ought to get er' down there!
IT is tough to say at this time. I have way to many things going on.....IF I can make it... I'll be ready either way. I have the Mach 1 That can go either Open class or the SPA way. Current set up is a Webra 60 rear exhaust /pipe/retracts. OR I have a side exhaust Webra with a muffler and a piece of tape I can throw over the retract switch.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:44 PM
eness76-RCU

ORIGINAL: impactiq

IT is tough to say at this time. I have way to many things going on.....IF I can make it... I'll be ready either way. I have the Mach 1 That can go either Open class or the SPA way. Current set up is a Webra 60 rear exhaust /pipe/retracts. OR I have a side exhaust Webra with a muffler and a piece of tape I can throw over the retract switch.
PIC! PIC! PIC! PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
mjduet
My Feedback: (23)

Yes, I would very interested in an ARF version of these models. I built and flew several of them back in the 60's and 70's. Please keep me informed of your progress.

Morris
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

The Kirkland A-6 Intruder was originally designed in 1969 with retracts. The same is true for Jim Martin's Banshee. I kit both and have the original plans. As several of the other folks have already said, you put them in and then if you want to fly SPA, just cover over the retract wells and don't hit the switch. It is certainly an area which should be explored a bit more. It seems the VRCS folks don't have a problem with retracts if they are shown on the plans. (Such as the A6 and the Banshee) Perhaps this season can bring about further discussion on modifying some of these positions.

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

The Kirkland A-6 Intruder was originally designed in 1969 with retracts. The same is true for Jim Martin's Banshee. I kit both and have the original plans. As several of the other folks have already said, you put them in and then if you want to fly SPA, just cover over the retract wells and don't hit the switch. It is certainly an area which should be explored a bit more. It seems the VRCS folks don't have a problem with retracts if they are shown on the plans. (Such as the A6 and the Banshee) Perhaps this season can bring about further discussion on modifying some of these positions.

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft

---------------

I saw "Jersey Jim Martin" fly his Banshee in the very early Seventies. The wail of that Webra .61 still sings in my mind and makes the hair stand up on my arms. I "think" I saw the demo flight at the Lakehurst N.A.S. What an exhibition he put on. What a showman.

His greatest maneuver (to me) were those long knife-edge passes with the wingtip only a couple of feet off of the runway. He gilded the lily by making it a serrated knife-edge to boot, by wiggling the tail of the model vertically. I had never seen any kind of knife-edge performed before that day, much less serrated knife-edge. I was wound up for a couple of weeks after that exhibition. I'm still trying to figure out how he stuffed all of the necessary gear inside of that tiny airplane.