Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Home and Hobby Primus

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home and Hobby Primus

I just received my Home and Hobby Primus( modern Taurus) kit today. This is a class act. Nice plans laser cut and ample hardware included. This should be an interesting build. The stab construction reminds me of the Astro Hog and the thick wing should make it land really slow. I will try to start a build thread in a few weeks when I get started.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Home and Hobby Primus

Looking forward to your build. Jeff Petroski is doing a great job on his kits. His Kwik Fli III is very well done too.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff is currently working on another really cool kit. I won't let the cat out of the bag since it's his project to announce when he's ready, but maybe he'll post some info on it soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
windslore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is Jeff is going to release next?! He certainly is doing a great job.

I look forward to your thread on building the Primus( Taurus) Skip. I have a Taurus kit by Lance Maresh which is still in its box. You might give me the incentive to get on with it!
John
Old 06-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Skip

I have a plane to paint and will do it next week. Then I will start the Primus. I tell you after seeing the Blue Angel build thread I don't know if I can do justice to a constructtion article. That guy is simply the best.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Hueydriver

Here's my Taurus/Primus in the final stages of completion. Balsa is great all around and the laser cutting crisp. I have two other Taurus' in the box plus Jeff's recent Kwik Fli. Great kits. Will post better photos when complete and the Kazmirski paint scheme done a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87468.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	477621  
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Skip

What engine will you use?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Hueydriver

I'm planning on an OS .61 FS which is more engine than the aircraft needs....I just had one lying around and had built the fuse a bit tail heavy. I had an original Taurus with an ST .56 w/Perry carb and it too was more engine than required. I have a Sun Fli IV with a Thunder Tiger .45 that flies great....suspect the same engine would be good for the Taurus.

Kirk
Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 AM
jjpetro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirk,
Duane (King Altair) put a OS 61 FX in his. It flies beautifully! I'm surprised how quiet that engine is. Looks like you straightened the wing out a bit. Is that standard dihedral or less?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Hueydriver

Hey, Jeff

The dihedral is as designed, it's just the camera aspect. Mr Kaz nailed the dihedral on this machine as it looks right and gives that slight "barrel" to axial rolls. Joe Bridi built dihedral into his earlier machines by keeping the top surface of the wing straight, but tapering the ribs out to the tips thus giving dihedral on the bottom surface only. Should be on it's legs this w'end, so when complete I'll fire off that photo I've promised ya for the last several months!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Skip

I like four strokes. If possible I will use the Saito 72. It's light and powerful. From the plans it looks like I'm going to have to either move the firewall back or make some room at the front. I will be starting the Primus about June 27th or so when I get back from vacation. Any comments or sugestions about the kit would be appreciated. By the way, I will modify the verical stabilizer and use 1" of dihedral under wach wing tip. This will improve the looks and make it roll better.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:53 PM
windslore

ORIGINAL: Hueydriver

Here's my Taurus/Primus in the final stages of completion. Balsa is great all around and the laser cutting crisp. I have two other Taurus' in the box plus Jeff's recent Kwik Fli. Great kits. Will post better photos when complete and the Kazmirski paint scheme done a bit better.
You have made a fine job of the Taurus. What technique did you use for the finishing, dope/silk/nylon or film?
John
Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Hueydriver

Thanks very much, John,

Initial intent was plain coverite painted, but to make sure I got the first hop in this June, I decided on Century 21 Fabric. Heavy, but worth it. The scheme isn't quite done yet, so I have to put a few more details on the vertical and horizontal stab to get it looking like the original. I believe Kazmirski used a deeper, almost back, shade of blue.

Kirk
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
308jockey

Skip some people will probably disagree with me on this but I don't think the Saito .72 will be enough. Try the .91. If I recall their .91 is a bit lighter than the OS. Personally I have an OS .61FX in mine and it does nice bbbiiiiggg loops and long vertical lines. Slow and point rolls go on for days.

Rick H.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
spbyrum

The 72 is in the same castings as the 91. The 91 is just punched out a bit, so it's also a little lighter even than the Saito 72.

We missed both you guys last weekend in Paulding Co. We got to land over the trees and the pit. What a treat. Everyone had a great time.