Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Capt. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon6667
I have flown most all of Joes birds, an for my flying style since 69,they are all great, an fly very similar. Here is my Sunfly 4..
The cowling on that plane is the same as the Warlord 40 and Warlord 25. It is what the cowling looked on the very first Kaos before it became the Super Kaos.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Capt. Bill

Default Starting a Kaos kit.

I loved my Bridi Super Kaos 40 that I flew for years but lost it a couple a years ago when the ailerons jammed. I picked up a Tower Kaos 40 kit on Ebay for a reasonable price shortly after that and built the tail feathers but got distracted and got into other projects. All this talk about the Kaos has made me get the kit out again and I am just starting on the wing. Some minor changes but still that double tapered wing. The Tower Hobbies kit is out of production now.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 AM
Falcon6667

Originally Posted by Capt. Bill
I loved my Bridi Super Kaos 40 that I flew for years but lost it a couple a years ago when the ailerons jammed. I picked up a Tower Kaos 40 kit on Ebay for a reasonable price shortly after that and built the tail feathers but got distracted and got into other projects. All this talk about the Kaos has made me get the kit out again and I am just starting on the wing. Some minor changes but still that double tapered wing. The Tower Hobbies kit is out of production now.
Share a few "Build" pics wioth us..The old school guys..
Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 PM
albsurfer

Saw a few posts about using the 55AX. It is a strong engine. I was given an Atlas (66" wing, 7.6 lbs) and powered with a 55AX, stock muffler, MAS Scimitar 11x7 prop, 15% fuel. I could knife-edge the whole runway (600'), go vertical for 200' before it slowed. I flew in wind ups to 20 mph with it.
It was great flying. I lost the Atlas in bad wind though on landing.
Using a MACS or JETT muffler will help the performance some more with the 55AX.
A flying buddy had a 46AX in his Tower KAOS 40 and changed it to the 55AX after seeing my Atlas fly. He's much happier.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:30 PM
BiggerDanno

Originally Posted by Capt. Bill
Tower still sells it as an ARF.
I have bought 4 or 5 from them in the past 8 years.
I usually power it with the OS 55AX with a Jett muffler. Turns the 10x9 APC fast enough to go 100-105 mph. Have also used the 55 with a 11x8 prop and tuned pipe.
My favorite plane to fly!!!

Just got me a 60 sized one from Tower, currently modifying it to a taildragger with retracts. Power is an OS 75AX with tuned pipe.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 AM
RC YEAGER

Originally Posted by BiggerDanno

Just got me a 60 sized one from Tower, currently modifying it to a taildragger with retracts. Power is an OS 75AX with tuned pipe.
I got the Tower 60 ARF also. Flies very good. Mine has an HB .61PDP with OPS pipe. Great vertical. Mine was modified in various ways to reduce weight by about 6-7 ounces, the biggest one being replacing the motor mount with a much lighter mount. The one that's included weights a ton. Vertical with the 75AX should be impressive
Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM
RC YEAGER

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160519_175450_540.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2164094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160519_175459_390.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	2164096  
Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving those skinny ailerons at their middle is a great idea.

Considering the speed potential, strip ailerons driven with vintage linkages with a single wimpy servo of the day, you've got to wonder how many buzzed and blew up.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Driving those skinny ailerons at their middle is a great idea.

Considering the speed potential, strip ailerons driven with vintage linkages with a single wimpy servo of the day, you've got to wonder how many buzzed and blew up.

That is most certainly the best, almost mandatory mod you can make to these planes. The roll rate on my Killer Kaos was terrible until I moved the aileron servo mid span.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
That is most certainly the best, almost mandatory mod you can make to these planes. The roll rate on my Killer Kaos was terrible until I moved the aileron servo mid span.
True that....

For those building from scratch or a kit any classic with strip ailerons, let me recommend doping carbon veil to the strip ailerons. Even soft wood becomes very sporty. Then you can cover your finish as you please over the veil.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:25 AM
RC YEAGER

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I concur. But in this instance, I did not have to modify a thing; the Tower Kaos came to be set up this way. Also the ailerons are made of firm balsa and are about 1/8" at the triling edge. In my experience, Kaos' are a bit slower rolling than other pattern planes given the same aileron throws. Probably because of the thick wing. I just program a bit more throw % than usual.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a vid a fellow club member shot of me tearing up the sky with my Killer Kaos. It has retracts and a NovaRossi R60F with the NR tuned muffler. It's built from a BlueJay kit. The first half of the vid is me practicing the SPA Novice routine. The second half is gear up and wide open. It's the best flying plane I've ever had.

I use 2 aileron servos and she rolls faster than I need. During the second half I do a couple rolls on high rate at high speed and you can see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlBbRUxA3E

Last edited by Mr-Punk; 09-11-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Nice plane and flying!

I just picked up a Bridi Killer Kaos kit yesterday at a local auction. I was lucky to get it!

Originally Posted by Mr-Punk
Here is a vid a fellow club member shot of me tearing up the sky with my Killer Kaos. It has retracts and a NovaRossi R60F with the NR tuned muffler. It's built from a BlueJay kit. The first half of the vid is me practicing the SPA Novice routine. The second half is gear up and wide open. It's the best flying plane I've ever had.

I use 2 aileron servos and she rolls faster than I need. During the second half I do a couple rolls on high rate at high speed and you can see what I mean.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Nice video Mr-Punk the Kaos is one of the funnest planes to fly, great for SPA events!
Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM
RC YEAGER

To me the Killer Kaos is the absolute best of the series and that's saying a lot cause most of the others are quite good. Like wind junkie in post #913, I too have a Bridi KK on its box, my 2nd one. Got it from another RCU member.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM
RC YEAGER

BTW... Very nice flying and also great camera work by your fellow club member
Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Dave Swanson

Nice flying and a nice flying bird too!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM
VCScott

Cool, nice plane!
I got the killer and an Ultimate Kaos (almost the same plane) to build some day.
Your video inspired me to think about starting one.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Mr-Punk

Thanks for kind works guys. Yeah the KK is a better plane than I am a pilot. I also have the Tower 40 Kaos arf. It is really fun plane but the bigger 60 Killer tracks and does pattern a lot better. It tracks so good it's almost like it doesn't want to turn. ;-P The Bluejay kits have the best balsa I've ever seen in a kit. If I built another KK I bet I could build it under 6lbs with fixed gear. Mine came it around 6.5 lbs. That NovaRossi sure pulls it good.

Happy flying!
Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by BiggerDanno
Tower still sells it as an ARF.
I have bought 4 or 5 from them in the past 8 years.
I usually power it with the OS 55AX with a Jett muffler. Turns the 10x9 APC fast enough to go 100-105 mph. Have also used the 55 with a 11x8 prop and tuned pipe.
My favorite plane to fly!!!

I was wondering where have you balanced all your 40 size arfs at? Im currently on the final stages of finishing up on my 40 tower hobbies kaos and im not happy with the 3 1/8 balance when the back edge of spar is at 4 inches. To me the cg should be starting at 3 5/8 going back to 3 7/8. Let me know where you have your balance point if you would please
Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 AM
RC YEAGER

My tower kaos 60 was balanced at the rearmost point as per the instructions when the clunk in the tank separated from the tank spilling 80% of fuel rearward and in turn loosenind on of the 6v batteries which then flew over the servos to the back under the pushrods.... the plane didnt even flinch. Flew it like 2 mire minutes until engine sputtering made me land it. Until then I didnt know anything had happened. So in reality CG was way further back than suggested for those 2 mintes. If anything it flew better. The thick airfoil is very forgivivig. I now have the CG set permanently about 3/8 further back of the suggested rearward limit and rolls, spins and snaps really came into their own, but no tail heavy squirelliness. Go ahead and move it back, just do it a bit at a time
Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 AM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1554.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	2195108  
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM
RC YEAGER

Wow! That Kaos with Blue Angel scheme looks great. It suits it well
Old 01-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Mr-Punk

I have the 40 arf. I too thought the suggested CG was too far forward. I looked up the original Kaos plans and they show it on or toward the rear of the spar. That is where I balanced mine. Took 2 ounces in the tail with the receiver battery behind the servos under the pushrods. It still seems a tad nose heavy. It will inside snap and spin but won't do an outside snap or spin unless it's slowed. My 60 Killer Kaos has the cg a tad behind the spar. It will snap inside or outside at full speed.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

rglgatortail, Nice Blue Angels scheme looks awesome! Well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.