Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Aurora by Naruke - What is it worth

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 AM
okelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Aurora by Naruke - What is it worth

I have a Naruke Aurora built from an MK kit (the early 1980’s version). A fellow flyer has been nagging me for ever to sell it to him. What do you guys assume this classic is worth?

The wing is finished with monokote and the fuse is painted in matching colors (perfect match). It is powered by a YS .61 AR with the special side swept Hatori header and pipe. It also has the MK trike retracts. It is very well built and finished, light and in great condition.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 08:20 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MK Aurora by Naruke - What is it worth

Keep the engine! Sell him the plane less radio. Was it built 25yrs ago, or was the kit just that old?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not believe the Aurora kits or the YS 61 AR engine is available anymore therefore it is priceless!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:40 AM
okelly

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Keep the engine! Sell him the plane less radio. Was it built 25yrs ago, or was the kit just that old?
raindave,
the design is that old but my particular kit is from around 1990 and was built around that time.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:14 AM
okelly

ORIGINAL: 8178

I do not believe the Aurora kits or the YS 61 AR engine is available anymore therefore it is priceless!
Come on guys. The guy finely persuaded me to sell with the very good argument that I havn’t flown it for years, probably will never fly it again and this bird deserves to fly! I need to know what would be a fair price.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:59 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OK! You didn’t say how much air time it had but, if you wanted a NIB YS 61 http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=230108 it would be about $250 or more. If you could find one, the Aurora kit would go for about $300 to $400. So with the engine, pipe, built airframe with retracts I would think in the $1000 range.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
rainedave

Have you considered trading with the guy? Maybe has has something you want that's no longer available, too.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 AM
okelly

8178, I knew I could count on you.

I estimate it has about 70 hours on it.

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Have you considered trading with the guy? Maybe has has something you want that's no longer available, too.

rainedave, The guy is a collector, he has very nice birds but will not let any one of then go. He will occasionally fly each and every one of them, but he is mainly a collector.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:54 AM
rainedave

Then you're in luck! Make him pay a "Collector's Price" for your Aurora.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:44 PM
KrisG

To give you an idea :

There is somebody in the neighbourhood here who sells an Aurora, nicely built but not superb, and a bit on the heavy side, less engine, less radio, less retracts for 200 EUR.

Last year, I found an Aurora kit in a shop here for 120 EUR - an bought it right away of course!

KrisG
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just another reference point:
The Ten Plus produced Aurora (from the MK kit) circa 1990 cost about $1,000 US with NO equipment. Of course it will be up to you to determine the final price (how good a friend is the gentleman wishing to purchase the airplane?), realizing that once sold you will not be able to easily replace it. Conversely, $1000 will go a long way towards the purchase of a modern 2 meter patternship if you wish.
Regards,
Will B.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:15 AM
okelly

Thank you all for your input.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Bootalini

For you Aurora fans, attached is a photo of one of Steve Helms' Auroras that he had at the 88 US Nats in Tidewater, VA. It was easily the most beautiful pattern ship I have ever seen in person. Craftsmanship and paint was absolutely impeccable!! Even more impressive was the interior. Steve showed me the interior of his #1 model before assembling it to fly and the attention to detail inside the model rivaled the exterior! A real work of art. He mentioned that they (he had 2 of them) had been handcrafted for him....from somewhere in Japan as I recall.
I liked the way Steve flew that airplane. He flew it fast, flew big and fairly far out....at least 175 yards.

Jeff L
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73614.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	542353  
Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
stiletto660

Oh no, this whole time I thought he was the one responsible for the amazing craftsmanship on those Auroras! I though "man, this guy rivals the Japanese in build quality..."
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Bootalini

Stilleto 660, sounds like you were impressed with his Auroras as well. 18 years after the fact is not helping my memory on this one as I can't recall what Steve said exactly reference what degree the airframes were pre-built for him. My guess is that Steve did the paint/finishing himself...? Anyway, he was pretty cool about spending a fair bit of time talking to me despite not knowing me. Perhaps he'll see this post and clarify.

Jeff L
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
flywilly

I think the Auroras were built to completion and Steve just installed gear. Steve also had a pair of Silents built for him, too (if I recall correctly).
Japanese workmanship is fabulous.
I was at the '89 FAI WC at Tidewater and got to see the Japanese team planes. All were immaculate.
-Will B
Old 10-17-2006, 05:01 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Flywilly you're right on, Steve's were complete except for equipment installation when he received them.

The Ten Plus ones were quite pretty (not as immaculate as Helms' was) but I saw several in NC go in due to structural failures...evidently more attention paid to finish than build quality.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
flywilly

I never saw a Ten Plus Aurora have a structural failure, but I'd be interested in the cause. I never took a good look inside one, but the outside looked very nice. I think Steve paid a little more (ok a LOT more) for his. I rememeber thinking who's going to drop a grand for a prebuilt pattern ship. Obviously, a lot of people did (I seem to remember a waiting list to get one).
-Will
Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 AM
apalsson

Not at all, Singapore Hobbies are selling most of the old MK line for around USD$ 100 a piece.
I had an Aurora 60 from them and sold it because I didn't have the time to build it.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Maybe one kit is around $110.00, the Aurora 25. Check the price list from July 2006, an Aurora 60 kit doesn't even have a price. The Aurora 45 sold for $317 singapore dollars .. approximately $201.00 US + shipping. 8178 is correct. The kit is priceless.

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Not at all, Singapore Hobbies are selling most of the old MK line for around USD$ 100 a piece.
I had an Aurora 60 from them and sold it because I didn't have the time to build it.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
keith_porthedland

You guys make me feel very happy. I have picked up an Aurora with the OS 61RF fitted with tuned pipe, servo's and retracts for AU$400 (approx US$280). I just fit my receiver, fuelled her up and off we went. Not that quickly actually as she had sat around for a while. Usual age things and fine tuning a few of its old problems but she flew perfectly and have done 7 flights with her so far. I like to fly her flat out and boy does she climb! I want to work on the aero's and get them to look as good as an Aurora can make them. She has changed hands about 3 times since original but looks as good as her early days. The smaller colour trim is coming away in parts but nothing major. I will feel happier flying her from now on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18120.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	555244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90153.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	555245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90805.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	555246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94642.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	555247  
Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
speed-panzer

Hi,

everybody out there - has somebody experience to use a OS 91FX in a Aurora 60 plane? I have a Aurora 60 kit with still semi finished fuselage.

Keith, what interesting looking prop are you using on your OS 61RF? What is total flying weight, and do you think she is well powered?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:55 AM
keith_porthedland

Hi SPEED-PANZER.

I didn't fit the prop but it is a SCHIMITAR. It gives better performance in the climb, even on the real planes. There are not many sites with pictures for these but here is one to buy from: http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=1432

I have had a few problems getting the fuel pressure correct from the TUNED pipe, so I have just ordered a Proportional Control Fuel Systems (PCFS) from this web site: http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/

I have just weighed her using bathroom scales (best I could come up with until I can get it to my office!) and she seems to be between 8 - 9 pounds with no fuel. She is no 3D machine but she flies very true and inverted flight is usually a bit of a challenge for long stretches on my 3D electric but is a breeze with this girl. Due to weight you would have to put a pretty big engine in her to get her to hover BUT why would you want to with a true purpose built pattern ship? If you put a bigger engine, this means a bigger prop and you would have to make her a trycicle undercarriage to get the clearance. She looks very clean with the retracts. I have a larger diameter nose wheel to get the prop clearance taking off from our grass field.

As she flies quite fast with the gear up, going vertical, well she just keeps going! True pattern ship, not a 3D machine due to weight.

Cheers

Keith
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
teamvortex
My Feedback: (6)

My son just gave me an Aurora from a MK kit. Complete with a YS61 rear exhaust and a pipe. He got it for $200 in a local hobby shop. Older and flown,but looks structurally clean. Anyone interested? I've got too much going on right now.

Rich
TeamVortex
Old 11-07-2006, 03:04 PM
speed-panzer

Yes, me too.

I like the graceful flying of pattern planes much better than this tumbling 3D-stuff. 8-9lbs would be very good for such large plane. So I still have to consider what engine.... maybe the YS 61 AR Longstroke would be another "most suited" powerplant besides the OS 61RF....? And definitley she will have retracts, that´s for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.