Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Aurora 60 Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aurora 60 Plans?

In this massive building surge going on, does anybody have a set of plans for the Aurora 60 that they would be willing to copy or sell?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora 60 Plans?

I would like a copy Too!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Bootalini

Good luck as I've asked the same question before. There must have been a ton of Auroras built in here in North America over the last 20 years so surely someone has a set of plans that can be copied!!!.....???
Old 05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

It's going to be a long, arduous task, but I've got a start. I'm trying to remain true to the original construction methods, including the tongue and groove trailing edge assembly. The only changes I've made so far are to round off some of the metric dimensions to the closest fractional inches. I'll probably work on a laser cut file for the ribs tonight. I'll add holes in the ribs for a wing jig, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18538.gif
Views:	232
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	682413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24094.gif
Views:	163
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	682414  
Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Atlanta 60

Dude...You are AWESOME!!

I wanted to scratch build...My main hang-up was the root/tip ribs of the Wing and Stab...I would have loved to have all the rib profiles...But I figured I could get away with the root/tip ribs and just try my hand at cutting some foam cores...

The Print only gives you a good cross section of an intermediate rib for each airfoil...There is no Tip...And a very questionable shot on the Root Rib profile..IMHO...Well..It's not a good solid cross section view that I wanted to relay on anyhow...

I had a Kewl Dude (MK Kits) was going to trace his Root and Tip ribs for me...But I wound up finding a kit on eBay...I decided to go for it...So now I should have my idea of "Good Templates" hopefully in a week or so..he he

I have to thank flywilly...He had Hooked me up!! I got a copy of the drawings and some bulkhead OML forms from a kit I suppose he had built...The Bulkheads were still another source of aggravation in my mind...Even with the drawings and willy's outlines/forms...It was kinda, sorta enough...But not what I'd call good solid info...(Where you been willy??..Hope all is well and Thanks!!)

This is only my perspective...I was a (scared) First Time scratch builder...Building a Kit I wanted to "Get Right"...I just was probably at bit too unsure of myself also...

It sure would be nice to have that stuff your putting together!! That is Wayyyyyy Kewl!!!

Will you do bulkheads also??

I don't have a kit yet...But if there is anything I can do to aid in this endevour...Let me know!!

And Thank You!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
MK KITS

Navav2002,
When you going to do the Aurora 45? or is the 60 first? Have been playing about with my curare 20 wanting to finish it to start on something bigger. . . . . i think it maybe the wild-7 as warm up for the Aurora and beetle.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Atlanta 60

I'll do the Aurora60 first...

It's crunch time for me anyhow...There is a BPA (Ballistic Pattern Association) meet which is not very far away from me..Huntsville, Alabama...I wanted to go...There will be some Kewl Stuff there!! It would be my first actual "Contest"...I wanted to have something Kewl to fly if possible...

I've been out of this since 2003 or before...So I havn't flown at all...I'm still squaring away my shop as it's a mess...I'll do the Calypso ARF/ARC since it's kinda a gimmie...That way *If I don't crash* I'll at least have something to fly that is of the Ballistic era..

Then I have a Bridi Escape that I wanted to get going...I also "Hoped" to have a Curare "Semi Kit" but that isn't looking so good by Huntsville...

My problem is I'm a Slow Builder!! he he

I wasn't even considering an Aurora anytime soon...Since I was planning to scratch build especially...Nor do I want to Rush that one...But....Now I'm a bit too excited to let go of that Dream..he he

There will be Aurora's there..And so much other Kewl Stuff...Even if I go as a spectator I'll be Happy!!

I'm a dreamer...I seriously doubt there is Any Chance of getting an Aurora done in time...Heck..I may not even get the Escape done I'm so slow..he he

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM
stiletto660

I guess I would caution against "rushing" the Aurora. Its a once-in-a-lifetime find, and you don't want to cut any corners on it. Do the Escape... its still a fairly glamorous ship and the Bridi type fuselages are quick building.

You can bring the box though, so we can all drool over it.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
rainedave

A bit more progress. This might not take as long as I thought.

Name:	Lj23439.gif
Views:	330
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	682886  
Old 05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Atlanta 60

Gosh that is sooo Cool!!

Chuck
Old 05-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Bootalini

Raindave, you're awsesome!! Aurora lovers worldwide laud your efforts.

Jeff L
Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 AM
rainedave

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all. I want to take my time and do it right. No rush on this project.

I'm working on the forward engine/nose gear sub-assembly now.

Name:	Zx71623.gif
Views:	127
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	683435  
Old 05-13-2007, 04:59 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Chuck,
I'm still out here , just very busy lately and had some problems with my internet provider [:@]
I suppose the ultimate solution (next to getting MK to produce more kits) would be to find a professional kit cutter and have him copy (as much as possible) an orginal kit. There are a few 'shaped' pieces which I'm sure were done by hand at the MK factory. The canopy and the bellypan would be the other stumbling blocks. I've never pulled a canopy before, but I've read about it and it seems pretty easy (by the 4th or 5th one). The fiberglass belly pan would be simple. OR... maybe Dan Hines could just kit a fiberglass version. Less work than the wood kit, but not the same for the purists and wood lovers.
I copied the Joker kit (many years ago) as much for the challenge as the money savings (plus, MK kits were not always available when you wanted them. I know Indy would regularly sell out of the Aurora kit and it might be months before they got more). I did 'cheat' and make the canopy out of fiberglass.
I wonder how many kits we'd have to buy to get MK to produce another run of Auroras??
-Will B
Old 05-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Atlanta 60

Hi Will!!

Just for everyones information...A 60 size belly pan is "Avaliable" as far as I know...(see Bootlini's electric build thread)...I think if you'll just P.M. Jeff(Bootlini) I think he can get you the info..

I have looked at forming the canopies also...I think it is well within reason...I'll have some forms for my own personal use for the 45 and 60...The last I heard Singapore Hobbies still had some canopies avaliable..but that's been a while ago...

I think Dan is interested in the Aurora judging from some semi recent discussions...I suppose he'd really be the one to comment...But that is the impression I got anyhow...

It looks like Raindave's templates will do a Whole Heck of Allot to "Ease the Pain" of scratch building!! Sweet!!

A MK production run or some other professional wood kit guy would be Nice!!...I have a nib 45 kit...And hopefully by the end of the week a nib 60 kit also...(I'm on pins and needles..he he)...So Hit me Up Mr. Professional Kit Builder Guy...(You can Borrow them...You Cannot Have Them..he he)

"If" I do a wood version's...I'll be copying the kit's to different wood so I can keep the Original as a "Master"...As far as I'm concerned...We won't be loosing Aurora's...

Great to hear from you!!

Have Fun!!

Chuck

Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
rainedave

Just so everyone knows, I'm not interested in any kind of "commercial" venture with these cad drawings.

I build everything from plans and have gotten in the habit of tracing parts to make my own patterns and templates. So, I'm doing this for myself, but anything I draw is free to anyone who wants it.

I should also add that when I build from plans I almost always incorporate my own building techniques and make changes where ever I want. In that respect, my Aurora plans won't be a facsimile. But, all the parts will still fit together (they just won't be exact copies of the kit parts, since I tend to change internal construction here and there to suit my construction methods). It will be an Aurora on the outside with some of my own engineering here and there on the inside. I think some people call that "updating."
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Dave,

Are those root and tip ribs you show on your wing plan accurate? If so, is that the exact center rib? If those first two statements are true, (and I'll bet they are), can you do a foam wing template? That would be simply taking the root/tip templates and taking 1/16" off top/bottom to account for the wing sheeting. It would sure make my life easier and then it would be much easier to make foam wing/stab of the Aurora. Let me know either here or in PM....and think that a few people might like a set of cores..

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 05-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

<snip>and think that a few people might like a set of cores..<snip>
One set right here....

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 AM
rainedave

Dan, I'll gladly send you the files.

The root rib is accurate. It is not the pattern shown in the side view, which is smaller than the root rib - as you know. On the plans the wing's center section is notched to fit into the fuselage. I drew extension lines on the root rib and LE to get the correct root chord (see drawing). It's very similar to the NACA 0013, but slightly different. The front 25% is tiny bit more pointed.

Since the tip airfoil is not shown on the plans I used the root airfoil, so it's a constant airfoil like what you did for the Blue Angel. If anyone here knows the tip airfoil to be different, chime in, since the plans don't provide that info (at least not in English).

Name:	Vs55892.gif
Views:	124
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	684212  
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
KrisG

Would a scan of the tip rib be of any help to you? With a little patience, I can do that for you. I've got an untouched kit in the attic, waiting to be built. If there are any other parts that are not described on the plans and that you would like me to take a look at for you, let me know.

Kris
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Since the tip airfoil is not shown on the plans I used the root airfoil, so it's a constant airfoil like what you did for the Blue Angel. If anyone here knows the tip airfoil to be different, chime in, since the plans don't provide that info (at least not in English).
As quick as you are...I'm not sure this will help..he he...But *Hopefully* by the end of the week I could "Proof" this stuff for you...If you want to send me the Rib Templates you have I'd be glad to match them up if ya want...

That was exactly my problem...Since I don't have or know Cad and all those types of programs...The Drawings just didn't give me "Good Solid, Sho Nuff" information...All I saw was a good solid intermediate rib..And a Cheesey View of the Wing Root Rib which I didn't trust..Plus I had no way to "project" that to the tip ect...I suppose your expierence plus CAD is definatly showing..he he

Have fun!!

Chuck
Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

I almost always incorporate my own building techniques and make changes where ever I want.

David,

Obviously, I have been looking at the .pdf files for a while and since I have seen some of your very masterful craftsmanship, I would like to pass this idea by you as a possible change to the original and see what you think.

Can you using your "CAD Magic" on the fuselage and use the outside templates on the drawings, do your "Mirror magic" to come up with a complete outside template, then reduce it by 3/32" so the top turtle deck could be formed using a "strip plank" method rather than forming from huge blocks of wood. This is how I was going to make the top turtle deck on "My Aurora" if for nothing else but to save weight.

It could also be formed up using foam. My first choice would be "strip plank" though.

Below is my horrible attempt using Paint to show you what Im talking about to make some turtle deck formers. Mine would be made by the "Sand to shape" method. Yours could be very accurate.

Name:	Tq48498.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	684259  
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: RCBuilder42yrs

<snip>Can you using your "CAD Magic" on the fuselage and use the outside templates on the drawings, do your "Mirror magic" to come up with a complete outside template, then reduce it by 3/32" so the top turtle deck could be formed using a "strip plank" method rather than forming from huge blocks of wood. This is how I was going to make the top turtle deck on "My Aurora" if for nothing else but to save weight.<snip>
Here..Here!!

I wonder why the "Block-O-Wood" technique is so popular?? Is the formed bulkhead+sheeting a newer thing?? Or as you mention...Foam+Sheeting??

I mean..I've seen movies where guys are stranded on a deserted island and they *Have* to carve a canoe out of a tree to survive...But...

So are you going to have an Aurora at Huntsville Tony??

Have Fun!!

Chuck
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM
rainedave

I built a planked model designed by Henry Struck in 1940, so it's an old technique. So is balsa shell construction; there were some glider designs from the '30s made from two hollowed out halves.

With a decent hand plane that is set up properly you can shape a balsa turtle deck very quickly, much faster than you could glue planking over formers. There are no glue joints so it's probably lighter and you can get straighter, smoother contours. I guess those three things made block fuselages popular. It works for me, anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
RCBuilder42yrs

So are you going to have an Aurora at Huntsville Tony??
Chuck

Chuck,

Two givens, I will have a T2A MK II and IF my friend and owner of Carolina Aircraft has a chance to get my Brushfire finished up, these two for sure.

Then, I "myte" have the "Sugar Land Xpress" ready for Showtime, but since its a "NEW" wrinkle I'm playing with, I want to have it properly tested and proven before stepping up to the flight line.

I will bring the Phoenix 8 which I recently procurred and hopefully get the "Daddy" of all Phoenix aircraft to put his autograph on the wing. And Mark Radcliff if he is there and he is supposed to be. Both these fellows flew the Phoenix 8 for many years and won with them.

Would love to get Steve Rojecki and Ken Bohnema to Autograph the Brushfire, one the winning pilot, the other the Daddy of the Brushfire

BTW- do any of you fellows know if Tom Atkins/Adkins is still alive? Would love to get him on the T2A MK II I bought 3 kits from him back when he was making them.

Oh, and as a final note, I'm working on a 80" ws version of the Runaround which will have the Evolution 35GT(gasoline burner) in the nose complete with Tune Pipe.

Golly, ask me the time, I'll tell you how to build a watch! Sorry Chuck... Hope this answers your question.

I will have "My Aurora" before year end though... for sure...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 PM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

Tony,

Tom is very much alive and well, I'm going to try and talk him in to making the trip to Huntsville.

GT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.