Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Intruder 90R arrives

Airborne Models updated their website today. It looks like the Intruder 90R is in stock for your ordering convenience:

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2395
    When everybody is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Intruder 90R arrives

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Airborne Models updated their website today. It looks like the Intruder 90R is in stock for your ordering convenience:

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2395

------------------

Thanks for the heads up. Mine is now on order.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ordered the Intruder 90R today. I had one about five years ago. I am looking forward to seeing how it flies compared to the older Intruder.

Ed Kirtley

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let us know what you think of the Kit. I have had bad experiences with Chinese products. I hope this will be different. Looks like it could be a great ARF Pattern plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Intruder is scheduled to be delivered today by FedX. I will keep everyone posted.

Ed K.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine was delivered yesterday. Now to clear a spot to open up the box.

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Intruder has been delivered. I am in the same situation as the other Ed. Need space to get the box opened.

Ed K.

Need a bull dozer to push away the mountain of other kits, engines, and radio's?
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Open the box, boys. You won't be disappointed. The quality seems a bit better that before. Notice the stab. This appears to be the stab from a Zen 120. We've put that stab on several of the older model. If you look closely at the covering along the root on the bottom, I think you'll see stab adjusters covered over. The gear is also a bit longer to accomodate 4c props. The modified SPA logo is to remind you that Intruders have done extremely well in recent competition.
    Steve Byrum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spbyrum

Open the box, boys. You won't be disappointed. The quality seems a bit better that before. Notice the stab. This appears to be the stab from a Zen 120. We've put that stab on several of the older model. If you look closely at the covering along the root on the bottom, I think you'll see stab adjusters covered over. The gear is also a bit longer to accomodate 4c props. The modified SPA logo is to remind you that Intruders have done extremely well in recent competition.

--------------

Now to get my NIB OS FS-91 Surpass II/P on the test bench for break-in and then into the Intruder 90R and out to the field. Life is good. <G>

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anybody have some build (assembly) pictures they can post?
    When everybody is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wish I had some build pics for you, Big Ed. I'm selling off "stuff" in order to open up enough space in the garage/shop to begin building. I'm selling ARFs and engines on the other auction site just to accomplish this feat.

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Need a bull dozer to push away the mountain of other kits, engines, and radio's?

--------------

You have me pegged. <G>

Mostly larger ARFs from China. Don't want to sell them, but nowhere to work at the moment. See what happens when someone not used to having much money to spend finally pays off the mortgage and other obligations? We thought about moving to a larger home, but the real estate taxes of just over $500 a month go a long way toward keeping us here. Our taxes in NJ were $3,200 annually for an older home. It makes a difference.

Lately, after accumulating a bunch of ARFs, I'm getting the urge to build again, either from kits or my own designs.

To those bidding on my engines on eBay, I'm about to pull the listings and keep them. My apologies to those that placed bids. While I don't mind selling the ARFs (no emotional attachment), the engines are dear to my heart.

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received my new Intruder yesterday--beautifully done!!

The first of the SPA buyers has nearly completed his, and a flight test shouldn't be too far off. The general word on the SPA Discussion List is that the new plane, while similar to the old one, seems to have better overall quality/value. It also is reported as lighter by at least 6-8 ounces with should improve vertical performance of this version even more. Even the SPA president wondered aloud how AirBorne Models could produce this nice a plane for only $199.

It seems that at the very least, the new Intruder will make an excellent and inexpensive pattern practice plane, and will likely be even more competitive in SPA competition. The modified original Intruder the new model was based on is even capable of winning in AMA events in the hands of an accomplished pilot. It won its class last season over a couple modern widebody 2-meter entries.

One guy on the Discussion List summed it up when he said "...looks like it's going to be an orange & white summer..."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62767.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	611346  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are these ARFs shipped as fixed gear? Is there a provision for retracts?
    UltraSport Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are shipped as fixed gear--you'll have to "engineer" retracts. There is a lot of SPA influence on the re-released plane, and retracts were never as issue. The original World Models Intruder didn't have them either. There is a built-up/plug in wing.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Our taxes in NJ were $3,200 annually for an older home. It makes a difference.

Ed Cregger

Hey Ed:

Where did you live in NJ with such loooooow taxes? I live in Turnersville, NJ, which is about 15 miles south of Philly, been in my home for 29 years, and pay $6,000 a year in taxes. You had a good deal there!

kf
    “I have a complex................when I go up everyone comes down.”
    AMA #90043....Revver Bro #103....
    U S Brotherhood #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That $3,200 tax bill was in 1998. Don't know what it would be today.

I lived in Pennsville, NJ along the Delaware River, in Salem County. I used to fly with the Salem County R/C Club. We flew behind the Vo-Tech Center on Salem-Woodstown Road, Rt. 45. I was a charter member in that club that we formed in 1972. I miss the gang and the good times there.

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed:

Salem was a secondary club to me. I belonged to the club for the last 6 years. My primary club is Lakeland. I've known $50 Frank for over 30 years, George Louie, Tony Verchio, etc and the whole lot at Salem including the infamous Sid Clement who is my idol! That man can fly!!!! Salem is a hike for me from Turnersville. I did not rejoin Salem in 2007 but did join West Jersey which is only 10 miles from my home. Lakeland is in my backyard........7 minutes from my home.

Frank
    “I have a complex................when I go up everyone comes down.”
    AMA #90043....Revver Bro #103....
    U S Brotherhood #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm in the process of putting together the Intruder 90R kit. I'm a bit stumped by the routing of the elevator pushrod setup. If I try to pre-bend the pushrods then it doesn't seem that you can get them through the fuselage and clear the formers to route them out the rear, and if they're not pre-bent then it seems like they'll get bowed when I fish them out through the slots in the rear fuse. Can anyone who has built the new ARF give me some advice? Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used a Dave Brown Products Glass Pushrod for the elevator. I put the Intruder fuse upside down on a stand. I tape the pushrod to the bottom of the fuse and notice the exit holes. I then look at the exit holes for the two pushrods & figure how the two threaded rods are going through the slots and end up on the glass rod. This is done with the control horns on the elevators and the thread on clevis on the threaded rod.
    Yes, you might have to fish out the threaded rods from the fuse, but when finished my setup was a nearly a straight line. You have to get the angle from the exit holes correct. Yes, there is a bend to connect the rods to the glass shaft.

I hope this helps.

EKIR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am exactly in the same spot with my Intruder. There are two different approaches you can try, and I did both.

I used the Dave Brown fiberglass rods for both, and worked with the fuse upside down as well. It's just better and stronger than the wood rods provided.

You pre-bend the wire to what you feel is the correct angle, then tape the ends together. Feed the rod through until it comes through on one side or the other, (left worked best for me), then cut the tape, and the wire will spring out and you'll be able to get the other side relatively easily. I got the elevator through that way, but that cuts down the space available to feed the rudder pushrod through. About this time I said "nuts to this" and just made a hatch by using a Dremel saw for the vertical, and carefully cutting straight lines for the horizontal with a new x-acto knife. You put a small 1/8 dowel piece at the top front, and use a couple pieces of ply scrap, (one in the hatch, and the other in the fuse), and drill a hole through both. Put a 4/40 blind nut in the piece glued into the fuse. It's easier than it sounds--and you will then have full access to this area. It's worth the trouble to me. If you will be using a .91 4-stroke for the Intruder, they tend to need tail weight, so that little extra weight for the hatch is fine.

Balance just in front of the main landing gear so the plane will "sit down" when "dry" rather than balancing at the place shown on the plans. This has been reported to World Models as the best place to balance the plane.

Hope this helps, and we should both be flight-testing our Intruders about the same time.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice. I see that the wooden pushrods really need to be replaced, there's just a bit too much play in the control surfaces. It seems to me that the bend in the metal control rod needed to exit the fuse causes a side force which can deflect the rudder pushrod, causing come looseness as well. I'll probably fly it with the existing setup as I don't currently have the time to rework it, so we'll see how this work for now. Thanks again for the advice.

By the way, what incidence setting are you starting with on the rear stab? I didn't see any wing/engine/stab incidence setting listed, so I mounted the engine at 90 degrees to the firewall.

- Erik

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We had an SPA contest this past weekend and several of the competitors fly Intruders--this was a topic of discussion at that contest.

If you have an incidence meter, (which I am about to order), set the fuse in a cradle to get the wing to 0, then make the stab 1/4 to 1/2 degree, (one SPAer said 1 full turn of the adjustment screws), to make the front of the stab slightly DOWN relative to the wing. I was told that if you set both the wing and stab at 0/0, you will need 6 clicks or so of up elevator to get the plane to fly straight and level. Putting the stab slightly down allows you to set the elevators at zero, or level with the stab.

Let me know how it goes--I still have a few adjustment details to finish before I can fly it.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kamakazie frank

Ed:

Salem was a secondary club to me. I belonged to the club for the last 6 years. My primary club is Lakeland. I've known $50 Frank for over 30 years, George Louie, Tony Verchio, etc and the whole lot at Salem including the infamous Sid Clement who is my idol! That man can fly!!!! Salem is a hike for me from Turnersville. I did not rejoin Salem in 2007 but did join West Jersey which is only 10 miles from my home. Lakeland is in my backyard........7 minutes from my home.

Frank

--------------------

It truly is a small world, Frank.

Syd Clement was my mentor all through my pattern lifetime (R/C anyway). Yes, he is a spectacular flyer and is great at building and design too.

I know most of the names you mentioned also. All good flying buddies.

On the upbeat side of things, I've met some really fantastic people here down in the mid south, as they call it. Enthusiastic, hospitable and always helpful. We have a great hobby that is populated by outstanding people.

Ed Cregger

Saito Club Member #52

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast