Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Hood River SPA Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
rgp1842

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood River SPA Chapter

Just a quick note to let folks know that an SPA Chapter has been formed in Hood River, OR
[link=http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=hood+river,+or&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=13&ll=45.705556,-121.520278&spn=0.073006,0.193977&iwloc=addr]Google Map[/link]

We have initial membership of eight guys. We are lucky to have "old timer" Jack Dunn as one of our leaders. Jack assisted in the initial startup of the SPA (early 90's?). I am planning to submit an article for the SPA newsletter telling about us, with maybe some pictures. But this post is just to let people know that if any SPA type flying is planned in the Northwest, please let us know so we can consider attending. We believe ours to be the only SPA Chapter on the west coast, but would be delighted to discover we are wrong about that.

Our club (Columbia Gorge Aeromodelers) has had a Precision Aerobatics SIG for several years, led by Jack and myself. But this year we convinced our "regulars" to try out going with the SPA rules, patterns, and philosphy (KISS). This will keep us from having to "re-invent the wheel" on rules and patterns, and standardize our operations and events. Our long term goal is to have an SPA event somewhere in our region. Since our flying field is in a hay field I told Jack we should call it the "Hayseed Invitational" -- for hayseeds, by hayseeds, in a hay field" - because I'm sure that lack of knowing what we are doing will make our event seem "hayseed" compared to the "pro" events held in the Southeast USA.

For now, Jack and I are co-leading the group, with Jack doing most of the work, and me taking most of the credit. Last week we had a "seminar" at Jack's house where he went over the 2007 Novice class manuevers, and we all learned a lot. We have decided that initially we will all be in the Novice class, and work our way up from there depending on personal motivation and interest.

I am flying a Jack-Built Utter Kaos, powered by an OS 46AX. Jack and I have discovered that this engine is every bit as powerful as the 60-size engines of the 1960's, so we have several SPA-legal planes flying with this engine - turning an APC 12x7 prop. Jack has two Daddy Rabbits, a Sunfly-3, and King Altair of his own design mods (onother of our members has his original KA), is building a Dirty Birdy from Bridi-kits website, and is wanting to build a Henchman. Several of our members are taking a hard look at the re-released World Models Intruder. Like a lot of postings here, we are wrestling with the issue of SPA-legal planes. In order to encourage new members we feel that ARF's need to figure into the picture. We like the SPA ruiles regarding engine sizes, no retracts, etc. But since only about have our members have SPA-legal planes, we have extend the "any plane goes" rule that applies to the Novice class, up to the Sportsman class. We may leave it this way, or go with "pure" SPA rules depending on how things develop. My long term goal is to beat Jack Dunn in the Senior Expert class using an SPA-legal plane!

We hope to have some "in-house" Chapter contests later this year, and perhaps can share narration and pictures either here and/or the SPA newsletter. Be sure to let us know about any "pattern for the rest of us" events that might take place within a reasonable driving distance of Hood River.

-=Roy=-
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM
73driver

Default RE: Hood River SPA Chapter

Roy,
Great to hear about the SPA chapter up there, sounds like you guys are going to have alot of fun with it. We just started our North East Chapter and as soon as the weather starts to look more promising we gonna get down to the buisness of flying..
Have fun with it!
Jim H
Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM
rgp1842

Funny that we both posted our "we exist" blurbs within minutes of each other!

Glad to hear about your new venture. Hopefully we can share some info as we go through the learning curve.

I just discovered that RC Universe has that nice member profile setup, so I will flesh mine out with some info and pics and encourage our members to do the same, so that even tho we are a country apart we can get to know each other and share our common interest.

)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But since only about have our members have SPA-legal planes, we have extend the "any plane goes" rule that applies to the Novice class, up to the Sportsman class. We may leave it this way, or go with "pure" SPA rules depending on how things develop.

Congrats on your new chapter in the Northwest. I own Jack's other original King Altair, and wouldn't part with it for anything!! Jack is a great builder, and I marveled at his skill when I decided to try to copy what he did while building two more Altairs. I loved the way Jack's plane flew from the very beginning.

Portland is one of my favorite places. If we get back there someday, I'd love to visit your chapter.

I fully understand your need to extend the "any plane" rule normally seen only in Novice while your chapter is getting off the ground. My hope for the future would be that as the chapter develops, you will fully eventually embrace the "legal plane" rules in Sportsman as well. The strength of the SPA organization is uniformity with the official "Competitor's Guide", so that hopefully, the whole country will be on the same page.

In the next few months, there will be a second Model Aviation article about SPA. I hope the new chapter benefits--your chapter is specifically mentioned in the article, along with the one in the Northeast.

Again--good luck and have fun

Duane Wilson

Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did Jack Dunn move there from the Atlanta Georgia area a few year's ago? A former member of Cobb County Radio Control? If so I have met him on the field a few times.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Bruce Underwood

Yes, Mr. Jack Dunn is SPA # 7, one of our Charter SPA members and lived there in the Atlanta area. A few years ago, moved
to Oregon to be near his Daughter and family. He is a Great individual and modeler. I will try to attach a photo of his
just completed Zimpro Daddy Rabbit which he will be flying this season. Best wishes to the Hood River, OR SPA Chapter.
Bruce Underwood SPA Pres. # 15
[email protected]
[img][/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Bruce Underwood

ORIGINAL: Bruce Underwood

Yes, Mr. Jack Dunn is SPA # 7, one of our Charter SPA members and lived there in the Atlanta area. A few years ago, moved
to Oregon to be near his Daughter and family. He is a Great individual and modeler. I will try to attach a photo of his
just completed Zimpro Daddy Rabbit which he will be flying this season. Best wishes to the Hood River, OR SPA Chapter.
Bruce Underwood SPA Pres. # 15
[email protected]
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67353.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	609913  
Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Roy, it's good to hear that a "local" SPA chapter exists. Although most of the modelers in this area fly ARFs [&o], some of us old guys still like the Henchman/Kwik Fli/Kaos/etc designs of the past. Just this week, one of our club members was flying an earlier aerobatic design that was very graceful in flight and was such a clean and crisp flyer that it made me want to build one. We don't fly competitively here, but always appreciate seeing good flyers. Lee
Old 03-30-2007, 10:34 PM
spbyrum

Roy

You are in fact the only official SPA chapter west of the Mississippi. There once was a chapter in southern California, but it only lasted a couple of years before going inactive.