Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kirkland Mustang-X Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kirkland Mustang-X Plans?

I am trying to find the Mustang-X plans that used to be listed in the MAN plans catalog. It is not there anymore and an e-mail asking about it got me the reply that they cannot find it in their stock... Does anybody happen to have an old plans catalog that would show their stock # for it? That might jog their memory a bit. Or a set of plans they are willing to copy?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kirkland Mustang-X Plans?

Mark, I went back to the 1999 Plans Guide and the Mustang-X wasn't listed. Buried in the mess that I call a garage is the original article about the Mustang-X.
I have a feeling that the reason MAN "lost" the plans was that it wasn't a good seller. I grew up in Ft. Walton Beach, FL and was a member of the Eglin Guided Mites when Jim was a member. Jim's airplanes were designed and flew beautifully. I was privileged to see him progress from an Orion with 10 channel reeds, to a Flat Top Stormer on reeds and then, the Beachcomber and Triton. I visited his home and saw some of his models under construction. His models were a work of art with many pieces involved. He used jigs to build everything and, of course, his airplanes came off the board true. However, they were not the easiest models to build and I think that is why the plans were not great sellers. Southern R/C's kit helped some but the plans were included.
Jim was a meticulous builder and flyer. One wonders if he didn't have to work to support his family just how good he would have been as a flyer. The Air Force transferred him to Thailand right at the peak of his flying career. Of course, he didn't complain as he was a patriot and did his duty.
I also Googled the Mustang-X and struck out.
Frank
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most scratch/plans builders do not like plans with foam wing cores shown. Most folks do not cut their own cores these days.

I had the plans, but that was back when I lived in NJ. I don't think they made the trip to GA.

By the way, I never built the model because of the foam wing cores. I like foam cores when assembling a kit, but I'm not into cutting them myself.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
somiss1

Ed, I believe that the MAN plans had the built up wing. You may be thinking of the Southern R/C plans which did have the foam wing.
Frank
Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 PM
kr9x
My Feedback: (7)

Mark

If you can give me a few days, I have the Mustang X kit in my workshop. I can dig out the plan and instructions and get them copied if your interested. These are the full size plan and not enlargements.

I'm heading for Perry Georgia for the swap meet there and getting things ready for that now. No I'm not taking the " X " along but they do show up on Ebay from time to time.

Jon
SPA 261
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: kr9x

Mark

If you can give me a few days, I have the Mustang X kit in my workshop. I can dig out the plan and instructions and get them copied if your interested. These are the full size plan and not enlargements.

I'm heading for Perry Georgia for the swap meet there and getting things ready for that now. No I'm not taking the " X " along but they do show up on Ebay from time to time.

Jon
SPA 261
Jon,

PM me when you get back from your trip. I am very interested in a copy when you get the chance, very much appreciated. I'm in no hurry, but I would like to add the X to my plans library for the day I feel like it.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM
RFJ

Mark,

For what it's worth, the Mustang-X plans were published in the December 1972 issue of MAN and the order number is(was) #125.

Ray
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
mmattockx

Ray, thanks for the info. I have since found out that MAN is pretty useless unless they find your plans on the first try and that the stock number doesn't help at all if it isn't right in front of them...

Mark
Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 AM
RFJ

Just for interest here is a very poor scan of the Mustang-X plans from MAN
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95024.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	633507  
Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
spbyrum

Mark

I also have a set of MAN plans. If Jon has any problem finding his, I'll take a look. I never throw anything away, so they're here. Finding them might be the problem.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: somiss1

Ed, I believe that the MAN plans had the built up wing. You may be thinking of the Southern R/C plans which did have the foam wing.
Frank

----------------

I do remember that my plans came from a plans service. I have no idea which plans service. Along with the Mustang X plans were also included plans for a small Eyeball - Migiball? Miniball? Both utilized foam core wings. I was ticked when I received them because I thought they were going to feature the built-up wings. Looking back on it, it would have been easy to draw up my own wing full of ribs, but I was busy competing in pattern at the time and was looking for an easy build.

Jim Kirkland used a Super Tigre G21/46 in his Mustang X. I owned a K&B .40 at the time, but dutifully bought the ST. I was disappointed in the power of the ST. It wasn't as strong as my K&B .40 and it didn't throttle any better. Not that anything was wrong with the K&B .40 throttled. I never did figure out why he liked the ST so much.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM
RFJ

I never did figure out why he liked the ST so much
Perhaps because he got them free from John Maloney at World Engines.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
somiss1

Yep, he got them free from World Engines. He also used Controlaire servos. I can tell you that Jim could make any engine run well. If it didn't, it went back to the manufacturer. THEY made it run well. Jim also was an electronics wiz. His radios performed much better than the other mortal's radios did! Take Sampey, for example. It was in a Sampey box but it was a "Kirkland" radio.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
kr9x
My Feedback: (7)

Mark,

I pulled the kit from the shelf in my work room and the plans look good. Do you want a copy of the assembly instructions as well?? 4 pages of instructions and 2 pages for parts list. I have Wednesday off this week and will get the copies made then and if you PM me your address I will mail them out at the same time.

Steve, Perry was really good this year and I don't remember the last time I saw a Compensator and a T2A at the same time! I understand the T2A was purchased for less than a song!!! I'm already looking forward to next year.

If you read the article on the Mustang X you will see that Kirkland made a DeadStick landing during the Nats. He had one of the first G21-46's here in the USA. One of my old flying buddies had one in a New Era and it really made it fly. I'm going to squeeze a Rossi 45 in mine.

Jon

Old 03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
mmattockx

Jon, PM sent.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: RFJ

I never did figure out why he liked the ST so much
Perhaps because he got them free from John Maloney at World Engines.

-----------------

Heh-heh-heh. That might do it. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Hello Mark;
Do you still have access to the Mustang X plans? I have always loved the looks of this plane and Kirkland flew it so well. Thanks in advance.
Terry
Old 12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You can buy them pretty cheap here: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/mustangX.htm

Andy
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Another source for Mustang-X and a few others:

http://www.scratchbuilderwarehouse.c..._pattern_plans

turbo
Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
codycarlisle25

Thanks for posting the link to scratchbuilderswarehouse. Lots of great plans and very reasonable prices. A buddy just got his order and I can't wait to see it in the air.

cody
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

I still have the Bob Cat in my garage that I've built up to the stage of painting, radio, engine and retracts installed, but keep putting off for other projects. I did have the Sweet Tater Kit by Southern RC that I sold for about 5 times what I paid for it new about 3 years ago. Here is a photo of Don Coleman's Sweet Tater I took while at the 1971 Nationals held that year at the Navel Air Base outside of Chicago. The Sweet Tater is on the Right with the Tiger Tail on top left. If anyone is interested I have several photos of the contest.

Name:	Xv65490.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1351743  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
RFJ

Just for interest, the third model in the photograph is Lou Penrod's Cajun Queen.

If anyone is interested I have several photos of the contest
Yes please, especially if they are in color.

Ray
Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

ORIGINAL: Lazer

I still have the Bob Cat in my garage that I've built up to the stage of painting, radio, engine and retracts installed, but keep putting off for other projects. I did have the Sweet Tater Kit by Southern RC that I sold for about 5 times what I paid for it new about 3 years ago. Here is a photo of Don Coleman's Sweet Tater I took while at the 1971 Nationals held that year at the Navel Air Base outside of Chicago. The Sweet Tater is on the Right with the Tiger Tail on top left. If anyone is interested I have several photos of the contest.
Yes, please post the photos!

Name:	Rp42251.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1351868