Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Peppermint Pattie

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Marian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peppermint Pattie

Hi,

Here is what I have made so far. Are there more builders of PP?
It would be much more fun to see you here. There are not a lot of fans of classic pattern in Madrid (in fact I do not know none), so this forus is like a club for me.

Regards,

Marian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84241.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	972484  
Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice looking. Why don't you start a separate build thread? I will be doing a .60 Peppermint Pattie build thread later this year.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Nic, don't know if you answered this question before, but how did you come up with the name Peppermint Pattie?

Pete
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 AM
WEDJ

Because of the red & white striped color scheme. Actually, Frank Massa of MasterKit suggested it as the name for the .15 Niris, he thought it was more "catchy"
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Hey guys,

I just stumbled back upon this airplane again when I was rummaging around in the Classic pattern forum. With the SPA events that are being held around now, I sort of would like to have an SPA airplane just to mess around with, and possibly take to a contest or two. The Peppermint Pattie really caught my eye, and I see that there are several plan sizes available. I have a Rossi .45 sitting here that I had on my second airplane; a Four Star 40 and it was a rocket with that motor. I'd like to use it as I have one, but I see that the .40 sized PP didn't fly that great. What mods can be done to the .40 that would make it fly well, and still be SPA legal?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 AM
WEDJ

Actually, the .40 size flew OK, I just didn't like the way it "felt" to me. I used a Webra Speed 40 in it.

William of PassTime hobbies is in the middle of making a short kit of it. http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/laser.html
Old 02-02-2009, 06:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you could have tuned out that bad feeling of the .40 PP with one of today's computerized radios?

Ed Cregger
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
WEDJ

No, Ed, as I recall, my feeling at the time was that I was expecting it to fly like the 60, but it did not have the same "solid" feeling. Having flown 40-size since then, it is just how that size plane flies in general. I have the same feeling with the Perigee, although I must say I like the way it flies.

With the 15 PP, I knew it would fly like a small plane, so I wasn't surprised. I guess my expectations back then were colored by Rhett Miller's success with his 40 plane.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

What would be a good powerplant for the .60 sized version?

I haven't really flown anything other than widebody 2 meter airplanes in the past four years, so I really don't know much of what to expect. What exactly did you not like about the .40 size? Was it too heavy, didn't lock in? Also, on the .40 sized plans, is there detail for the anhedral stab?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
WEDJ

No Problem, Ryan.

For the 60 size, for myself I am thinking about using an HP Gold Cup w/ Jett muffler (very similar to the setup I had in the late 70's, webra speed and magic muffler). Any strong 60 would do just fine. I'll be starting a build thread on the 60 when I finish my Jr Skylark (in the antique section)

The anhedral on the stab was a post-build adjustment, if I recall I used 1 inch per side. Maybe that's why I didn't fall in love with the plane, I hate re-building!

As I said, it flew like all 40 size do, they are just not as solid as larger planes. If you're coming down from 2-meter ships, old time pattern will feel strange, I'm sure. Nothing you can't handle, they are very neutral on all axes, but have a bit heavier wing loading, less knife edge capability, more prone to wind gusts, etc. However, screaming along at 120 mph doing a slow roll ten feet off the deck is a real thrill !
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

No, Ed, as I recall, my feeling at the time was that I was expecting it to fly like the 60, but it did not have the same "solid" feeling. Having flown 40-size since then, it is just how that size plane flies in general. I have the same feeling with the Perigee, although I must say I like the way it flies.

With the 15 PP, I knew it would fly like a small plane, so I wasn't surprised. I guess my expectations back then were colored by Rhett Miller's success with his 40 plane.

I actually prefer the .40 sized plane feel to the larger airplane feel. They are agile and can turn on a dime without losing a lot of inertia. Of course, I tend to fly in much closer and lower than most pattern flyers.

The first thing that I would do at a contest was to ask for the judge's permission to fly in low and close. I never had any of them refuse to grant me their permission. I just felt more comfortable flying that way, with my astigmatism. I have seen times when I could swear that it actually gained me some points. This was before turnaround.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Nic,

contact me direct at [email protected]

thanks
www.rcfoamy.com
Home of the PP II