Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Ever hear of an 1.20 Size MK Zlin Kit???

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ever hear of an 1.20 Size MK Zlin Kit???

Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever hear of an 1.20 Size MK Zlin Kit???

I remember Circus Circus marketing three 1.20 size stand off scale pattern kits back in the early 80's or so. This was at the beginning of larger 1.20 size ships, and these three kits, along with several other designs from other mfgs. were the grandfathers to modern turnaround airframes. One was a Chipmunk, one was a ????, and if I remember correctly, one was a Zlin (spelling?). Were these produced by MK for CC? Thanks for your help....

GPB
Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 AM
KrisG

Default RE: Ever hear of an 1.20 Size MK Zlin Kit???

Wasn't the 3rd one an Akromaster?

Kris
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 AM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: KrisG

Wasn't the 3rd one an Akromaster?

Kris

BINGO! That's right, it was an Akromaster. Were these kitted by MK?
Regards,
GPB
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

I know MK kitted the Acromaster & Chipmunk - same amazing high quality as in all their models. There was also a Laser with the Bud Light color scheme shown on the prototype.

I was thinking the Zlin sold by Circus Circus was from another Japanese company ( IM I think ) that also kitted the Reed Falcon biplane. Perhaps MK also kitted a Zlin, Flywilly will see this thread soon and have the facts
Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 AM
KrisG

Yes, MK definitely kitted a 1.20 size Akromaster and 1.20 size Chipmunk. Pics of the MK Akromaster can be found here :

http://jonwold.blogspot.com/search/label/Akromaster

and of the kit box of the Zlin 55 here : http://jonwold.blogspot.com/search/label/MK

Pilot also made kits or high quality ARFs of these, if I am not mistaken, and they are also Japanese.

Rgds

Kris
Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
glowplugboy

Hi Kris,

Yes, this kit is one of the three Circus Circus marketed here in the US. Same built up balsa wheel pants too. Ok, mystery solved, at least on the Chipmunk and Akromaster. I believe the Zlin was an MK kit too. Anybody else have some info?

Thanks,
GPB
Old 09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just the facts:
MK kitted the following 1.20 sized aerobatic models:
1) Laser
2) SpinKs Akromaster
3) Zlinn
4) Chipmunk
5) Super Chipmunk
These are not very big airplanes: approximately 56" long and 66-70" spans with wing areas in the low to mid 800"sq. The SUper Chipmunk is bigger in every dimension (but not by much - about 61" long). I'm still flying a Spinks that I built in 1991 (yeah, it's a bit fuel soaked). I originally put a ST 90K in it and it flew great. I also had an OS 1.08 in it - just to break it in and had unlimited vertical. I have an MK Laser ready to cover and kits of all the other models. MK did produce ARC versions of the the first 4 kits (Laser, Spinks, Zlinn, Chipmunk). I've had the Laser and ZLinn ARC versions - excellent quality. The ARC versions were simply built from the MK kits.
The MK Spinks was used in FAI pattern competition by some notable pilots in the 1985 FAI F3A USA team selection contest (Steve Rojecki and Don Weitz - if my memory is correct).
I flew my Spinks in an IMAC contest around 1995. I was told it flew nicely, but was too small to compete successfully.
These are great kits and very nice flying airplanes or rather were great kits. Be a nice size for a YS 1.10
Thats all I can think of for now...
-Will B.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
glowplugboy

Many thanks for your imput!
Regards,
GPB
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
flywilly

WAIT, I've got more...
Circus Hobbies was the exclusive importer of the MK Chipmunk, Zlin and Akromaster while Indy R/C imported the rest of the MK line including the Laser (kit and ARC). The 1987 spring catalog from Circus lists the price for each kit as $99.95 (wow, send me one of each!!) and the price of the ARC version as $269.95.
IM kitted a .40-.50 size ZLin (Z50L - same model as the MK kit); a .40 - .60 sized Cap 21 (great flying airplane with none of the nasty snap characteristics of other versions of the Cap 21 - my dad built one with a small case ST .60 in it, pretty hot airplane); and the TOC Laser (also a very nice kit, but a bit 'overbuilt' in some areas - I have one which I plan to power with an OS 1.60 after some weight reducing of the kit/parts). The Reed Falcon was kitted by Marutaka (the same company that produced the Royal kits) and is still in production, though the price is a bit higher than the $149.99 (with glass cowl) back then. Singapore hobbies had most of the MK 'scale' aerobatic kits up until a few years ago. The kits were modified from actual scale to <significantly> improve flight performance (reduce/eliminate coupling issues especially - remember they were designed more than 20 years ago).
Circus was also the importer of the Yoshioka Citation which was one of the first inverted engine pattern airplane kits (maybe the first since the designer T. Yoshioka also owned the company which kitted it).
I'll dig through my archives a little more to see if I can uncover any more useful tidbits...
Happy Flying,
Will
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: flywilly

WAIT, I've got more...
Circus Hobbies was the exclusive importer of the MK Chipmunk, Zlin and Akromaster while Indy R/C imported the rest of the MK line including the Laser (kit and ARC). The 1987 spring catalog from Circus lists the price for each kit as $99.95 (wow, send me one of each!!) and the price of the ARC version as $269.95.
IM kitted a .40-.50 size ZLin (Z50L - same model as the MK kit); a .40 - .60 sized Cap 21 (great flying airplane with none of the nasty snap characteristics of other versions of the Cap 21 - my dad built one with a small case ST .60 in it, pretty hot airplane); and the TOC Laser (also a very nice kit, but a bit 'overbuilt' in some areas - I have one which I plan to power with an OS 1.60 after some weight reducing of the kit/parts). The Reed Falcon was kitted by Marutaka (the same company that produced the Royal kits) and is still in production, though the price is a bit higher than the $149.99 (with glass cowl) back then. Singapore hobbies had most of the MK 'scale' aerobatic kits up until a few years ago. The kits were modified from actual scale to <significantly> improve flight performance (reduce/eliminate coupling issues especially - remember they were designed more than 20 years ago).
Circus was also the importer of the Yoshioka Citation which was one of the first inverted engine pattern airplane kits (maybe the first since the designer T. Yoshioka also owned the company which kitted it).
I'll dig through my archives a little more to see if I can uncover any more useful tidbits...
Happy Flying,
Will

I built and flew the IM Products Cap 21 you speak of... with balsa block shaped cowl. Amazing quality that was/is every bit as good as laser cutting today. Many thanks for the history info, please provide more as it comes!
GPB
Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 PM
rcmag1000
My Feedback: (18)

I just bought a Circus Circus Aiplane from a modeler that is getting out of the hobby. It has an 86" wing span and I fly it with a Saito 270 Twin, which makes an awsome combination. Would any one know where I could get plans or and actual kit?

Thanks,

mark
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM
flywilly

Sounds like it might be the IM Laser. Do you know what the airplane is? Or can you post a photo?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
rcmag1000
My Feedback: (18)

How do I post a picture?

Mark
Old 09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
hrrcflyer

Mark,

Click the Post Reply Button at the bottom left corner of the text window. another window will come up where you can brouse your hard drive to select the pictures you want to upload. When you are done, click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window and you should be home free. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
KrisG

Will,

Do you know if the MK Chipmunk F3A and the MK Chipmunk 1.20 are different kits? I think I have seen mentioning of an MK F3A Chipmunk somewhere, and I am sure the 120 Chipmunk exists ( seen it for real).

I may be able to put my hands on an MK Chipmunk 1.20, but I am not sure what the aerobatic capabilities would be - F3A Chipmunk just sounds a lot more aerobatic [8D]

If anybody knows here, it will probably be you!

Best regards,

Kris
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
flywilly

Hi Kris,
all of MK's 'semi-scale' kits were designed for F3A competition. There are 2 versions of the Chipmunk: the Art Scholl (sp??) version; the slightly larger Super Chipmunk version. Both are very aerobatic: not competitive in current F3A competition, but very good for 1984-1987 sequences.
I hope this helps. A photo of the box top would be really helpful, too!
-Will
Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Not from MK but I have a few 120 size ARC kits from the '90s that I hope to get flying before too long. All have 69"/72" spans with around 900 to 1000 square inch wing areas. Three (Chipmunk w/ bubble canopy/stock cowl, Dalotel 150 and Zlin 526) are Model Products kits and one (Extra 300s) is an IAC. The MP kits are wood fuse, f/g cowl and balsa sheeted wing/stab. The IAC has a foam D-tube wing/rear deck but is mostly balsa/ply built up with f/g cowl and pants. The MP kits should build to +/- 9 pounds and the kit plus all the components to finish the Extra weigh right at 10 pounds. All are first rate quality.

A flying bud gave me his MP Zlin 526 when he quit flying way back then. It flew well with a Saito 120. Hope to eventually refurb it. I have a couple of old Saito 120s and a three Webra 120s that'll probably be used.

Terry in LP
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
JCoop
My Feedback: (1)

I realize this thread is over a year old but in case the original poster still gets reply notifications, I have a MK Super Chipmunk 120 F3A that was built by Yuri Higuchi (renowned rc designer and exhibition pilot) in 1998 or so.
It is still in mint condition and has a YS 120. He offered to build it for me after he totalled my Goldberg Ultimate while we were flying formation aerobatics !!?>*#@ for fun. With a 14.5 X 12.5 Bolly CP, it is one of the best airplanes I have ever flown. It may not be competitive any longer and requires some mixing to behave properly in the current sequences but will perform the Sportsman sequence flawlessly. I just revived it and ran the gunk out of the engine but haven't flown it yet after 10 years of storage. Perhaps after another tank of 20%...

I, too, have been searching for possibly a kit lying around somewhere?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
flywilly

The MK kits are still out there. The Classic Pattern Trader (written and published by Rusty Dose) currently has an MK Laser kit in it (for trade). The Laser and the Super Chipmunk (the second version) were imported by Indy R/C and were available for a much longer time than the original 3 kits. MK manufactured those 2 kits for at least 5 years after they discontinued the Spinks, Zlin, Chipmunk kits. They all look and fly great. The new OS 110 Alpha would be a great engine choice. The new YS 115 would provide exceptional power (certainly more than the original YS 120). These kits occasionally show up on Ebay, but not very often. Rusty has indicated the possibility of producing a kit of the Spinks. Subscribe to the Classic PAttern Trader (it's free!).
-Will
Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by flywilly
The MK kits are still out there. The Classic Pattern Trader (written and published by Rusty Dose) currently has an MK Laser kit in it (for trade). The Laser and the Super Chipmunk (the second version) were imported by Indy R/C and were available for a much longer time than the original 3 kits. MK manufactured those 2 kits for at least 5 years after they discontinued the Spinks, Zlin, Chipmunk kits. They all look and fly great. The new OS 110 Alpha would be a great engine choice. The new YS 115 would provide exceptional power (certainly more than the original YS 120). These kits occasionally show up on Ebay, but not very often. Rusty has indicated the possibility of producing a kit of the Spinks. Subscribe to the Classic PAttern Trader (it's free!).
-Will
I am pretty sure the picture is an MK Kit ZLIN as I purchased it about 25 years ago from Circus Circus in Las Vegas. It was my first high performance plane and behaved so well I bought and built a second one. Unfortunately niether survived although the Enya 1.20R I used in them is still flying today in a Spacewalker. If I ever had the opportunity I would not hesitate a second to get ahold of that kit, it flys and looks awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zlin .png
Views:	381
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	2055126  
Old 12-15-2014, 12:56 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony,

the MK 4-stroke 120 semi-scale birds are most certainly nice looking classics! I embarked on a project with a few pals to reproduce the MK Super Chipmunk (SC) which I re-designed for E-power (~2000 W). The development project was a success and several CAD laser cut kits were sold to others although I have not yet seen any built (including mine...). Here's a thread link for the development project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...Super+chipmunk

I have had a desire to do the Zlin 50-L as well as it is one of my favorite aerobatic semi-scale models along with the Dalotel and the SC. For now, I will wait until a few SC's see the skies and at that point, if rave reviews come in, I'll probably undertake to do the Zlin as well. They are very labor intensive designs and re-designs so the interest must be high and the so must the results and flyability of these unique classics.

Thanks for posting.

David