Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Return Of The Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
REMitchell22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return Of The Skylark

What is more of a concern is that these problems were addresed with Goldberg on the S-56 and there were no positive replies that I saw in RCU. I went to Goldberg (now Great Planes) and posed the LG blocks question to them three weeks ago about the S-70 and never received a reply. All that they had to do was to reply that the issue was addressed with the S-70 and everyone who wanted one would breathe a sigh of relief. Once again, for $220, I don't want to be cutting the wing open for any reason and repairing the LG blocks. Why won't the manufacturer reply on this issue...?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their prices are too high. I hope Great Planes/Tower/whomever doesn't carry forward Lanier's extravagant pricing for Goldberg planes.

I had one of their Senior Falcon ARF and a Skylark 56 ARF a while back. Sold them both. Having them in hand somehow brought back memories of how they flew when built from kits, so many years ago. I was considering them for SPA's Antique Class. Remembering exactly how they flew AFTER I bought them (darned memory) told me to move on and go ahead with the plans I had for flying an Astro Hog or a Taurus.

I'm not trashing the designs. I learned how to fly "multi" on a Senior Falcon and my wife's first low wing model was a Skylark 56. Lots of good memories with those two kits. But there is no reason for any Goldberg ARF of that era to exceed $200 street price. Tower thinks they are going to force me to buy their stuff at high prices. Not going to happen. I have been very happy with CMP's line of models for quite a while now and they are much, much less expensive.

I like Tower and friends, but they've gotta get their heads removed from the nether regions. They got where they are by offering good products at LOW PRICES. Not by trying to claim that everything is a Cadillac and charging too much. Ditto the OS .56a, etc. Time to get real, folks.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That .56a is the same price as the .91 Surpass II. They now have a new .81a soon to be released. Will it cost as much as a 120 Surpass?

Sorry for getting off topic.

David
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
73driver

I restored an old Skylark 3 years ago and posted it on my RCU profile. The Skylark is a great flyer and one of the better goldberg designs. You really did a great job on yours!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Their prices are too high. I hope Great Planes/Tower/whomever doesn't carry forward Lanier's extravagant pricing for Goldberg planes.

I like Tower and friends, but they've gotta get their heads removed from the nether regions. They got where they are by offering good products at LOW PRICES. Not by trying to claim that everything is a Cadillac and charging too much. Ditto the OS .56a, etc. Time to get real, folks.

Ed Cregger
I think the pricing for Goldberg and Lanier products should get straightened out fairly quickly. Tower just dropped the price of the CG tiger 2 kit $25.00, which was way overdue. With the Tiger .60 kit selling for $109.99 and the Tiger 2 selling for $99.99, I couldn't imagine anybody not spending the extra ten bucks for a larger, more stable aircraft.

Sorting out the Lanier and Goldberg product lines and reconciling them with the GP, TF, Hobbico, Dynaflite, and Tower Hobbies product lines won't be easy. I'm more concerned that classics like the Tiger, Skylark, Protege, Eagle, and Falcon all survive at any cost when they're direct competitors to the PT20/40/60, Hobbistar, Kaos, Avistar, etc.

As for the pricing of new O.S. engines, I think you can blame the Federal Reserve for that rather than Tower Hobbies. The dollar continues to plummet against the yen, the Euro, and the pound. The AX .55 and AX .75 are really pricey too; it's not just the new .56 4-stroke. Horizon will likely run into similar issues with any new Saito engines that might be announced.

Buying anything labelled "Made in Japan" will be costly so long as the U.S. dollar continues to bounce in value between the Mexican peso and the Canadian dollar.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:54 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the problem with the new OS engine models was the dollar, it would also affect the older lines that are being sold at the old prices.

I like OS engines a lot, ditto Saito, Enya, YS, etc. But I'm not married to one brand of engine. If the prices remain high with OS, I'll simply buy something less expensive from one of their same level competitors. As will most other folks.

I used to be highly brand loyal. Especially when it came to OS. Age and maturity finally intervened and I like to think that I "got real". I can just as easily feel proud of my Magnum, Thunder Tiger and Super Tigre engines as I can a sparkling new model of OS, YS or Rossi. All have their good points.

Ed Cregger