Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Florida SPA Chapter Formed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 AM
teamvortex
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida SPA Chapter Formed

-For Immediate Release -

- 10/13/2007, Orlando, FL -

Today the pilots of vintage pattern aircraft in Florida met at the RCACF flying field in Orlando and decided in favor of forming the Florida Chapter of the SPA, to be named the Florida Vintage Pattern Association. On Monday, the FVPA will submit the required paperwork to the SPA Board of Directors for Chapter formation. The FVPA is in total agreement with the mission and regulations of the SPA and will conduct contests accordingly.

The inital plan is to host a minimal number of SPA events in 2008 (3 or 4) and see how they are supported before expanding to a larger number. We have positive committments from at least three clubs to host events and more are expected. Contests will be scheduled in the open times of the current SPA schedule, primarily winter and fall. Florida's great this time of year, y'all come on down. The currently proposed contest locations are Orlando, south Florida, and the Tampa area. Expansion to the panhandle and the Jax area are expected as word gets out.

In addition to the four SPA classes at each contest, we plan to host two additional, non-SPA classes for what we are calling the Historic Pattern planes. These classes will include planes that flew through the 1995 time frame and will allow tuned pipes and retracts. These classes will be flown and scored independently from the SPA classes. They will also probably fly a later version of the patterns. Pilots will be allowed to enter both SPA and Historic classes if they wish. Details are still be workied out based on additional input from the interested pilots.

The officers that were elected for the 2007/2008 season are:

President: Rich Ernst Brooksville, FL
Vice-President: Jeff Owens Tallahassee, FL
Secretary: Orlando Frets Orlando, FL

We have some other exciting ideas for contests down here in the fire, but more later. Our contests will be added to the SPA calendar as they firm up. Make travel plans and see what it's like to fly down here.

Rich Ernst

President, FVPA, the Florida Chapter of the SPA.
Issued 10/14/2007
Old 10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Florida SPA Chapter Formed

Who is that caller?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24367.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	782870  
Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is he using for power in that plane, and what is it ? I did not take the time to look at it, but it really pulled.

Vince
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM
teamvortex
My Feedback: (6)

Jeff had a perfectly stock OS61FX and stock muffler in the Crusader. I'm not sure what prop or nitro. I think it was 20%. yes it pulled stumps. Just goes to show we don't really need the expensive stuff to compete.

Rich
Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, stump puller. I was running a brand new OS61FX in the Intruder. It only had about 20 total minutes on it when I was there.
Using 15% fuel and 12X6 power prop. The Phoenix VI that I was flying here had the same engine, but more time on it. I used a TF Super M 11X7-3/4 prop, same fuel. It is much heavier then the Intruder, and faster. Both have Mac's mufflers.

I have an ABC G61 three piece case Super Tigre coming next week. Will try it out, but the OSFX for the money is a good choice.
Dave Anderson from www.Andersonaero.com, is moving from Texas to Ft. Walton Beach in February. Has a Deception almost ready, will be hooking up in SE area SPA contest's, etc.

Vince

Name:	Wu62328.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	783066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81884.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	783067  
Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

As Rich mentioned, I am using an OS 61 FX in the Cutlass. It has a 12x7 APC prop, stock muffler, and I was running 20% Cool Power. The vertical performance is excellent on this 7 1/4 lb airframe.

Jeff
Skylane N9214G
SPA 243
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
kr9x
My Feedback: (7)

Here is Jeff doing the calling for Rich. This is my first photo upload in about two years so bear with me!

Jon W SPA 261

Name:	Hf97584.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	783687  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:11 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Well this is it guys.
"Since the Florida Vintage Pattern Association" a chapter of the SPA has been formed, it makes no sense to sit around and wait so we are on the move. We, the elected offiicials are very seriously considering holding an event to include SPA legal airplanes and Ballistic airplanes or as we call them "Historic" airplanes at the RCACF field in Apopka, Florida (Home of the Tangerene Contests).

The event will be a one day event to be held on Friday December 7, 2007 (the day before the Tangerine Pattern Contest). Since many of you are coming to the Tangerine Pattern contest, bring along your SPA/BPA type airplane and come down one day earlier to participate in another part of the famous Tangerine Pattern Contests.

The reason for this notice is ro inquire if this time frame would be worthwhile and if you would support such an event. Years ago, some of you may recall Tangerine pattern was held during the week, Monday through Friday for any of three days, Saturday and Sunday included.
I now ask for your support by replying to this posting if you would seriously consider to participate in this event.

Please advise as I would like to go to the RCACF Board of Directors to get approval and appply for the AMA Samnction. Once we get the apppproval from the Borad of Directors, we will go the SPA and list the contest.

Thank you for reading down to here.

Orlando Frets
Old 10-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Balsawings

Orlando, would suggest a separate topic to announce the possibility of a contest. The guys up north may not read it under this topic.

Bob