Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Atlanta...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlanta...

Alright!!!! Here we go...I'm very excited to have acquired a Super Nice example of an Atlanta!!!! Wow...One of my two dream Aircraft!! I'm sooo stoked!! Thanks smw for taking such good care of her!!

I'm not going to be able to fly her anytime soon though... [sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gotta make some Good Use of her first...

Those of you who are interested in the Atlanta...Just sit tight a bit...OK... [sm=confused.gif]

Have Fun...

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63273.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	792613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87237.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	792614  
Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
stiletto660

Default RE: Atlanta...

Gotta make some Good Use of her first...
You're making molds aren't you?

There's a few hot looking planes in the background there... looks like a Desire and something else up on those racks.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: stiletto660

Yes Sir...

There's a few hot looking planes in the background there... looks like a Desire and something else up on those racks.
Thank You!! Good Eye!!

Top to bottom: Calypso, Conquest IV, Desire, Prophecy

Only problem: They are all sooo close...But still on that "To Do" rack...he he

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
hrrcflyer

Geez,

Some people get ALL the good ones!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how that works. It always takes me longer to install hardware and radio gear than it does to scratch build an entire airframe.[:-]
Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Nathan King

Congratulations!!!

The Atlanta looks good with a tailwheel too. I'll be patiently waiting for a flight report. [8D]
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Atlanta 60

Thanks Fellows!! I'm super excited!!

Nathan...I'm going to be splashing this Fuse, Belly Pan and Pipe tunnel first thing...I've begun the process of taking her down already (sorry smw)...Will be a long time till "this one" flies...(It will probably be a tricycle gear if/when it goes back together...he he)

I'm actually going to concentrate on getting molds done first...That way..Folks who are interested in an Atlanta will (hopefully) have access to them in the not too distant future!!

I plan to be setting split lines for the transfer this weekend...I hope to be starting the lay-ups by the first of next week...

Since this is a good "flying airplane" that I don't want to destroy...I will be making a splash/transfer off it instead of making the "molds"...This will allow me to do some re-work and touch-up type of stuff...Then I will make a true Master Model from the re-worked transfers....That is what the actual Molds will be made from...This is kinda the "long way" around...But the end result will be two fold:

1) I don't have to sacrifice this nice example of an original ZigZaw Atlanta...

2) The Atlanta's you guys get will be a bit nicer from the "Fit and Finish" stand point than the original aircraft...

BTW: Here is the original thread where "smw" was first putting this aircraft into service...If anyone was interested:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4285961

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
propbuster

Chuck, Too Sweeeeet! Best of wishes on your mold making endeavor, and with your experience in the field, I'm sure they'll come out great! Put me on the list for one of the first Atlanta's you pull. I'm assuming that you would mount your engine on the side to allow the exaust to channel though the fuse bottom? It's a .60 sized ship too I hope! Let us know more!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Atlanta 60

Hey Tim...

Will actually use a Rear Exhaust engine mounted inverted so the pipe will run down the tunnel...When setting up as a Tricycle gear(as it should be..he he)...I think the nose retract will be slightly scooted off center just a tad and you will use a header which will hook around it...(see photos below) (note: These are just pics I've collected...I think some are of Nathans airplane...I'm not sure who's that Blue and yellow one is)

It is indeed an Atlanta 60..."Back in the day" I have read the engine of choice was the YS 60...That was apparently a sweet set-up as I understand...I'll more than likely be running an OS 61 RF-P or a YS 61LS in mine...Not sure just yet...

Kinda on that note...I have a little story:
I bought a used YS60 engine that was going to be slated for my Atlanta...I got it from RazorRCU via the RCU MarketPlace...You guys may know of Razor from these forums?? Although I don't know him personally...He seems like a really nice guy...I think he's active in some other RCU forums as well...I think he kinda likes the idea of Ballistic Pattern...In fact his signature says something like "Bringing Ballistic Pattern back to Southern California"...He lives in Ramona CA...

So...I converse with him a bit via e-mail about sending payment...A little chit chat...He always replied very promptly...I had sent a money order out to him...So on the day I expected it to arrive..I messaged him to see if he got it...No reply...Huh...No problem...I get busy too...So I waited a couple days or a week...No engine...So I send another e-mail...Again...No Reply....Hummmmm...I'm thinking this is a little strange...I start to get a little worried that something may have happened...In the mean time...Every day that goes by...I expect to see the engine on the porch when I get home from work...But alas..No engine...

Come to find out...While I'm worrying about this little dinky RC Engine...He and His family have been in the Midst of the California Wild Fires!! The day I checked the Google Wildfire Map...The area around and including Ramona, CA was The Absolute biggest Red Spot on the map...They were under a mandatory evacuation...

Soo...I'm a little "Miffed" at myself...I feel I was being a little too concerned about something that..Really didn't matter...I was disappointed everyday I didn't see the engine on my porch...Meanwhile...There were folks forced to leave their homes not knowing what..If anything...They will return too when they get to go back??

As I understand it from the news...They may be able to go back to Ramona by now...I don't think they have water or other utilities yet??

I see that Razor has made a post in another section of RCU so it appears he's OK...But that was last week...

So I just wanted to say to all you guys out there dealing with that stuff...Be Safe...And I'm thinking about you...Hope you all are alright...

I think I'll remain miffed at myself for a while...I think I got a little "perspective"...So I may not have a YS60 for my Atlanta...That is A-OK...I just want those folks to be safe...

Good Luck to you Guys...

Chuck

Name:	Yw68812.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	794413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85585.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	794414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75284.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	794415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90602.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	794416  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Nathan King

Take your time, I'm a patient guy. It's wise of you to do the extra work to get the molds AND the airplane.

Yeah, I was going to mention, a rear exhaust mounted inverted with the pipe down the tunnel is the way to go. That way the engine doesn't spoil her good looks. There's a fiberglass piece that runs down the top center of the wing making the top of the pipe tunnel. A "clip" is then installed so that the pipe can be secured to the wing once the wing is screwed into the fuselage.

EDIT: LMAO, those pictures in the above post look remarkably like my airplane!! Anyway, you can see what I'm talking about.

PS: She's kept a lot cleaner now!! (still has the same engine). Shame on you! I'll have to get you some more recent pics. Showing her all filthy like that, no excuse! You should be ashamed! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Ca80210.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	794418  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Atlanta 60

That sure is a pretty Airplane Nathan...

I think the "Stance" is Awesome on the tricycle gear...That is the way it should be!! I've already done away with the tail wheel assy on that one I got...I will defiantly be moving the gear in the wings before she goes back together...

Actually...Could you take some good detail shots of the nose area of your airplane for me?? The engine compartment of this one has been modified and I'd like see yours so I can restore this one accurately...I think I have a pretty good idea...But seeing some decent pics would defiantly help...I cant get too much off the drawing....No Hurry...Just whenever...Thanks...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a NIB atlanta that I will take some pics of. It might be next week since I am going out of town this weekend.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Atlanta 60

JeffH...Thanks Very Much!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Atlanta 60

Well..As usual...Going a little slower than I had hoped...But...At least there is progress...

Still hope to have some tools complete and shipped out by X-Mas... [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Anyhow..Here are some shots of the ole girl in all her glory (neked..he he)...Filling in the open holes...Then some of starting to set up the split lines...

Hope to be laying up soon...I'll post more pics when there is better progress...

Have Fun...

Chuck

Name:	Qo40107.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	806007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35351.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	806008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52680.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	806009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46503.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	806010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64155.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	806011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16868.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	806012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43855.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	806013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki30389.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	806014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60113.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	806015  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Chuck,

Looks great.... can't wait to see how this one turns out.. looks like I'm gonna need some more epoxy..

Dan
Old 12-09-2007, 07:42 AM
vintageflyer

Have you had any time to work on this project. I have a built Atlas fuse that I have been wanting to use as a plug for a mold. I have never done it before and you way is what I was thinking of doing. Please keep us informed. This looks great.

DM
Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully next weekend I'll have a flight report on my Atlanta going up for the first time in years. Gordon McClean, an old pattern flyer since the 70's, is going to first flight(she hasn't flown in years) my Atlanta. She is all set up with new equipment and new YS61 rear exhaust with a Futaba 127DF 7s Mhz system. She should be a ***** cat and then I will change her over to 2.4Ghz JR R921 receiver(Data Log to ensure she gets all the signals). Will post a report. Here is a link to Nathan King's report on his and my sister Atlanta, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6222861

I see the *****'s above. I quess I'm to old to have know that a synonym for a mild mannered cat would be censored.

Name:	Ay73646.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	821872  
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
vintageflyer

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Hopefully next weekend I'll have a flight report on my Atlanta going up for the first time in years. Gordon McClean, an old pattern flyer since the 70's, is going to first flight(she hasn't flown in years) my Atlanta. She is all set up with new equipment and new YS61 rear exhaust with a Futaba 127DF 7s Mhz system. She should be a ***** cat and then I will change her over to 2.4Ghz JR R921 receiver(Data Log to ensure she gets all the signals). Will post a report. Here is a link to Nathan King's report on his and my sister Atlanta, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6222861

I see the *****'s above. I quess I'm to old to have know that a synonym for a mild mannered cat would be censored.
This is an old Model? [X(]She looks like she never left the ground. You must have store her on a soft fluffy pillow with warm milk sitting nearby

DM
Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Atlanta 60

How Exciting airbusdrvr!! I am looking forward the scoop once she fly's!! She is a beautiful aircraft..as is Nathan's...Well preserved and in good hands now!!

I'm a little bit too anxious to join you guys with one of my own... ...When I'm finally ready...I need to have some stick time on something else first...But it seems all I care to work on is Atlanta and Aurora stuff...All the others seem to have found a secure spot on down the list...lol

OK vintageflyer...I suppose I do need to get crackin' on this project...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Wow!! We might have an Atlanta kit available again? Chuck- you're the man! When you said you were a composites guy, I had no idea you could reproduce one from an original, and that you already had an original! You go Chuck!! And put me on the list when you have any to sell....jeff
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: navav2002

Yes Sir...

Thank You!! Good Eye!!

Top to bottom: Calypso, Conquest IV, Desire, Prophecy

Only problem: They are all sooo close...But still on that "To Do" rack...he he

Have Fun...

Chuck
Do you have a wing for the Desire? Wanna sell it? The whole airplane that is.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

<snip>Do you have a wing for the Desire? Wanna sell it? The whole airplane that is.<snip>
Wow...I can't believe Mike McConville is asking me this question!! Thanks for the Awesome Aircraft!!

Yes I have a wing...Sorry I won't sell it......I'm Flyin' this baby!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Send me pics when you finish it. Its hard to find a Desire, especially the 60. Did you build it from the FM plans?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Send me pics when you finish it. Its hard to find a Desire, especially the 60. Did you build it from the FM plans?
We'll do on the pics!! I actually acquired it "as is"...The guy has done such a nice job on this thing!! It is soooo light!! It was done off the FM drawings...He has actually modified it a bit though...He's got the pipe running down the belly...I think the reason being he was gonna run a Bolly Pipe and wanted the ventilation?? I'm not 100% sure but that is my guess...

It will be Nice...I am really looking forward to it!! Again...Thanks...

For those reading this who may be interested in the Desire...The plans are available from the link below:
http://www.carstens-publications.com...derby=designer

Here is a good thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4931658

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

Wow!! We might have an Atlanta kit available again? Chuck- you're the man! When you said you were a composites guy, I had no idea you could reproduce one from an original, and that you already had an original! You go Chuck!! And put me on the list when you have any to sell....jeff
Indeed we will...

I was hoping to be going a lot faster than I am...I was hoping by Christmas I would have the tools ready...But it looks like I will be working on them through my Christmas Vacation...Oh Well...My "Master Plans" never really work out..he he

This will be my main thrust for the holidays...I hope to be able to add some kewl photos within the next couple of weeks (If you think fiberglass work is kewl?? he he)

We'll see how it goes...

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.