Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Beetle Build

Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 AM
T Brooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MK Beetle Build

Hello Everyone.

I have made new undercarriage bearers to suit my retracts. I used the front and back edges of the cutouts in the ply as a starting point and made the cutouts larger from there. I then trial fitted the retracts and needed to notch the bearers to allow room for the pivot pin and spring coil.

Then I glued them in making sure to get the ply parts as tight as possible to the spars.

Cheers
Tarquin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21372.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1008686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81540.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1008687  
Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Roguedog

Wow T Brooks. Thanks a bunch. Great pics. Thanks also for the line to Singapore Hobbies, I've haven't been able to get a response from them. I've sent several emails, but no response. So I thought I would try to fabricate something similar.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Roguedog

T Brooks. Thanks again for the pics. Another question if you don't mind. Did you actually use the 2.5 right and 1.5 down thrust on your beetle?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 AM
T Brooks

No problem Rougedog. Let us know how you go with building your own soft mount.

The front end of the beetle is interlocking construction so it is quite hard to build it without the side and downthrust. I don't know enough to question Akiba/Kato on thrust angles!

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 AM
T Brooks

Hello Everyone

Work on the beetle has been really slow lately. I keep getting distracted by other things: everything from 1/2a to giant ugly sticks.

Since you saw photos last time the wings have been joined. It took hours of measuring and set up for a short glue job. I'ld rather spend 2 hours getting it right than 2 hours trying to fix a screw up!

I have to complete the retract actuation install and then onto sheeting. I am not looking forward to putting the sheeting on as I don't want to build a warp in. On the plus side though when the wings are sheeted I can pose it the plane on its three legs to get inspired.

Cheers
Tarquin

Name:	Nl28555.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1025839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60619.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1025840  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Tarquin - looks great so far!
This is a little late (for this build), but I sheet the top of built-up wings (MK kits) before joining them. This adds a significant amount of ridgidity. I then jig the two halves; joiin them and add the bottom sheeting while the wings are jigged. I also add the fiberglass center section reinforcement. When that has cured I can take the wing off the jig, flip it and add the top fiberglassing. This method has worked for me for many wings.
I would carefully jig your assembled wing then add sheeting (top or bottom depending on how you jigged it). At the current stage, the wing is quite delicate as I'm sure you are aware. when completed it is very strong and light!
Keep us posted - very enjoyable!!
-Will B.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Fantastic Tarquin!!

Great Info Will!! Thanks for sharing!!

Looking Good
Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 AM
T Brooks

Hello Flywilly

Thanks for the tip. I considered sheeting one surface of the wings before i joined them. I had seen this in one of the Curare build threads but I wasn't sure how the centre of the sheeting would match up if i sheeted first. I guess i will find out shortly if it was a good idea or not

You are certainly right about how fragile the wings are at this point in the build. They have very little torsional stiffness.

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM
flywilly

Just a couple more comments about jigging the wing or wing 1/2s. I use straight spruce stock of various dimensions to support the LE and TE of the wing. I use a 36" straight edge and alignment marks to ensure accuracy - a laser pointer/level would also help! I use 1lb lead weights to hold the wing in place (lots of them) at the main spar location, LE and TE.
I sheet the TE first: remove the weights, trim sheeting to fit and adhere to wing with slow curing/thick CA, after sheeting is added I replace the weights and allow the CA to set. The LE is a little trickier as the airfoil contour requires some bending of the sheeting (I try to use the softest sheeting available). MK kits use the LE and TE to help align the sheeting as it butts against these pieces (so they need to glued on before sheeting). Again using thick CA, I apply the CA to the LE of the sheeting then the ribs and finally the spar (if the sheeting extends back that far). I butt the sheeting against the LE and use small pins to hold in place (usually the LE extends slightly above the sheeting; so I pin above the sheeting into the LE - then the pins don't get glued to the wing!!) - a pin at each rib and 1/2 way between each rib. Then I bend the sheeting down to meet to ribs/spar holding it in place with the 1lb weights. I start iin the middlle and work out 1 rib bay in each direction at a time. Check the fit of the sheeting at the LE and add pins as necessay (I use the smaller 'T' pins 1" long or shorter). The remaining sheeting/cap strips is now very easy to add.
This is just my approach that I've refined after building a few wings. I'm sure there are other good or better solutions. As an aside, I've been building since the late '60s and the arrival of CA glues not only sped up the building process, but eliminated the need to use 'warp-inducing' white glue. As an alternative to CA, the new Carpenter's glues also seem to work very well, but the cure time is much slower (but faster than the 'good old days' )
-Happy building!!
Will
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 AM
T Brooks

Hello Everyone

It has been a while since I posted but there has been some progress.

The ribs have been adjusted to allow the push pull rods for the retracts through.

I have skinned the top surfaces using aliphatic glue and heaps of pins. In this kit the skin pieces are pre-glued together to form four complete sheets. I felt that this would make using CA very difficult to get a good reliable result. You may note that I filled in the square cutouts of the inner ribs with balsa (originally for servo wires). This sub-spar helped keep the correct shape in the fairly large open areas of the inner ribs.

Cheers
Tarquin

Name:	Tr50260.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1040569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70832.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1040570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71364.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1040571  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Tarquin,

How's your build progressing? Certainly a beautiful aircraft. I look forward to its progress.

You may be interested in knowing that an MK Beetle kit recently went for what has been described as a "cool $500" down in the auction site's motherland...
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM
T Brooks

Hello Doxilia

The build is progressing... just slowly.

The second bottom skin went on tonight so the wings are all wrapped up. It was not something I was looking forward to as once the glue goes down there is no turning back. I also wanted to make real sure everything was in the wing before the skins went on.

The next thing to go in are the wheel wells and then the trailing egde stuff, ailerons and tips.

Did the beetle go for US$500? I think I only paid $545 singapore (around US$350). I think Singapore Hobbies had one on the shelf last time I was there.

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tarquin,

I always first complete the wheel wells before closing the wing with the bottom skin, much easier to fit the top of the wheel well circular sheeting in line with the wing ribs.

Great work anyway, good luck.

Cees
Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

I was in Singsore hobbies about 10 days ago, no MK pattern kits, Ron said they are getting harder and harder to find. Will check again next month when I go back. Pete
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
flywilly

I heard that MK has stopped producing kits (or is out of business completely) - very sad if true[][]

-Will
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 AM
T Brooks

Hello Everyone

Cees
sorry, I didn't see your reply till just now.
I had planned to do the wheel wells before putting on the bottom sheeting as you suggest. On the plans it shows the well partially taking out one rib rather than being right between two. Before noticing this I bent the wire legs to sit between the ribs but then found that it sits decidely nose down when on the wheels. I will have to make new wire legs. With that said I decided to do as MK show on the plans and put the wells in after bottom sheeting.

I have cut the openings for the two aileron servos and the baasic retract area.

I have also started to dry fit trailing edge section between the root and ailerons.

Cheers
Tarquin

Name:	Ca81682.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1065870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58590.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1065871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76660.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1065872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91935.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1065873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87152.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1065874  
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 AM
T Brooks

Hello

Here are a couple of photos to show where I am up to.

I am trying to get the wing to fit the saddle as best I can. Right now it fits OK when it is pushed back by about 1/4". That means that the trailing edge would need to be notched. It may also have an affect on incidence. I will use plasticene between the wing root and saddle to show where it is high and low and then sand to get best fit before using micro balloon type filler.

Cheers
Tarquin

p.s. Anyone know how to get hold of Deadstik ie Dan from Carolina Custom Aircraft? I have sent a PM and a couple of emails to [email protected] and have had no response. It is in response to a PM of Dan's.

Name:	Cz80056.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1080141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32175.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1080142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58191.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1080143  
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Your plane is looking really Awesome Tarquin!!

I think you have the correct e-mail address for Dan and hopefully he has contacted you by now...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 AM
zubba

The beetle is too cool !!!
Awesome build up makes me want to put mine together!
You got to love the way a mk kit lays out ,just a blast to build,and they fly decent to boot

-Jason
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 AM
T Brooks

Hello Everyone

There is still some life in southern hemisphere. Work projects have gotten in the way of toy planes.

Since the last update I have glued on the leading and trailing edges and the tip sections. The rest of my time in the shed has gone into getting the saddle fit right. The left side is fitting fairly well but the right side has a gap still. I have to be a little careful to keep the wing square to the fin - a fraction of an inch at the root moves the tip a lot. Also the underside of the leading edge fairing will probably need to be built up slightly.

Cheers
Tarquin

Name:	Zx70303.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1122296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21463.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1122297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55617.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1122298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66937.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1122299  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM
GiMsAcE

Hi T Brooks,

Just wondering if you finished the build of the Beetle?.

Any pictures of the finished plane?.

Looks like a really awesome flying machine..!!!.

Cheers.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
T Brooks

Hello Gimsace

The Beetle is pretty much in the same state as you see it in the photos. Work and personal commitments have taken me away from the shed. That combined with winter and a cold shed... ah, excuses, excuses... I should just take a concrete pill.

I did spend a little time working on the wing fit the other week. I was quite happy with the fit and the measures for level and square looked ok - maybe a bit out. I glued the front former with the wing dowels in. When the wing was all set in place to set overnight I had another look and something just didn't seem right, so I grabbed the tailplanes fitted them together and eyeballed them with the wing and it was way out. Doh. I checked the squareness of the tailplanes to the fin and they were fine. The thought crossed my mind that I should pack the wing until it was aligned with the tail and then fill the gap later. The it occured to me that shortcuts always result in the longer path! Off with the wing and clean the glue off. [:@] The only thing left was to go inside and have a beer.

I promise I will get back to building so long as people keep on my case.

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tarquin, how is this build coming along?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
T Brooks

Hello David

I havent been home for the past week so nothing new. The engine has been run so that I guess is a little progress.

At this rate you will finish your wild beat before I finish the beetle.

Cheers
Tarquin
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not hardly. i don't even have a big enough building table yet. but that will change soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.