Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Northeast SPA Event Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northeast SPA Event Schedule

Anyone else?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mark,

Weather permitting, Ethan and I will dust off the Sr Falcon and go out Sunday afternoon in Salem.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
JPal101

SPA is alive and well on Staten Island. Jim Hamilton came to my field today and put on a stellar performance. He went through the Novice and Sportsmen manuvers with my Kaos. Everyone who attended was very interested in his informative talk and inpressed by his flying. We all now have a better understanding of the rules and how each manuver is executed. I am now looking at July since we have a pattern event scheduled for May in Conn. and my field has an NSRCA event in June. Please let me know what you think about July.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 AM
WEDJ

July is great.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good to me also!

FB
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been away from the forum lately, and just saw this thread for the first time. Reading through it, it is wonderful to see the enthusiasm there in the NE for SPAyou can almost feel it. Jim has done a great job in getting the NE Chapter started, and he continues to promote its growth. It looks like his efforts and enthusiam are spreading throughout a larger and larger area-it's great to see.

The basic "spirit" of SPA is to get together, fly vintage pattern competition the best we can, and have a good time doing it. As time goes by, and more people in the area learn about SPA, I have a feeling the NE Charter will really "take off" (in more ways than one-figure of speech) in the next year or two. Nothing happens overnight, but you are well on your way. Once you have attended an SPA event, most of us tend to stay "hooked", and look forward to that next event.

While being independant chapters, we are still bound together under SPA rules by Mickey Walker's vision of having basic "Simple & Inexpensive" (ie before all the "bells, whistles, and high-priced equipment essentially became mandatory to be competitive), pattern flying. Like most groups that welcome newcomers, our goal is to some day become a nationwide organization. At a meeting I attended last season, Mickey said it was always his intention that SPA be a national organization, and that he is not the least bit surprised at our recent growth.

Hope that at least a few of you in the NE will find a way to come down south and participate in one of the long-standing contests to see how it's done. You will certainly get the "red carpet treatment" from the "regulars". Asheville, (my event) is the furthest east, and is also in July, (12-13).

All the best in 2008 and beyond, and have fun

Duane
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking earlier of Jim Hamilton, (founder of the NE Chapter of SPA a couple seasons back), Bruce Underwood reminded me that Jim wrote a great little article that appeared in the NOV-DEC 2006 SPA newsletter. There is also a nice picture of Jim taken in the Asheville fog at our first contest in September of that year. (BTW the contests since then have been in July for less foggy weather) .

For those of you who would like to know what Jim Hamilton looks like, [X(](to place a face with the name), or want to see where his enthusiam for SPA came from, you should read this article. Also read about the first Asheville contest, (the third is this summer, July 12-13, 2008). Maybe Jim will be there this year - (hint-hint).

Just a quick plug for the SPA newsletter, (edited by Bruce), it is getting better and better all the time. Those of you who are not yet members should know the majority of the meager $20.00 SPA dues goes into the distribution of this great newsletter. Here is the link:

http://www.seniorpattern.com/newsletter/novdec06.pdf

All the best

Duane
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 PM
73driver

Hey Everyone!
Well I have to say that it has been long overdue since I have made any posts on this forum. The last several months have been quite busy for me. The last weekend of October I had planned an Spa Fly In that was cancelled due to weather. That same weekend I was in a really bad car accident that resulted in totalling my truck, I wasn't hurt and walked away without any physical harm, that weekend really was the pits.
In December I had taken a new job with Skybus Airlines and unfortunatley they became one of the fatal five airlines that went out of buisness the first week in April. I found a new job right away and was again in training the first two weeks of April. Well now thats things in life are settling in again it is a relief.

On April 19th, we had a fantastic time flying in Staten Island. I went up there to fly with John Palestro and some of the guys in his club. I really enjoyed the flying and meeting other folks interested in SPA. John let me fly his Tower Kaos and I thought it flew fantastic!

One thing I must say, John Palestro has really gone out of his way to get things going for us. I cannot say enough about the effort and time he has put into our chapter, and personally I am very greatful for his enthusiam and support for our chapter. John's efforts have been the reason the ball has started to roll with our chapter. The fly in in Staten Island was a great time. I was able to meet others in John's club and found them to be a great bunch of guys to fly with.

Now that spring is here and the flying season getting started I am looking forward to getting out to other SPA events in our region. If anyone wants to get in touch with me please feel free to do so anytime with any questions you may have.
Until then take it easy,
Jim
Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
WEDJ

My calendar sez May 31st is the SPA event at CCRCC in CT.

Better get the Perigee finished!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Free Bird

Hey Everyone!
Well I have to say that it has been long overdue since I have made any posts on this forum. The last several months have been quite busy for me. The last weekend of October I had planned an Spa Fly In that was cancelled due to weather. That same weekend I was in a really bad car accident that resulted in totalling my truck, I wasn't hurt and walked away without any physical harm, that weekend really was the pits.
In December I had taken a new job with Skybus Airlines and unfortunatley they became one of the fatal five airlines that went out of buisness the first week in April. I found a new job right away and was again in training the first two weeks of April. Well now thats things in life are settling in again it is a relief.

On April 19th, we had a fantastic time flying in Staten Island. I went up there to fly with John Palestro and some of the guys in his club. I really enjoyed the flying and meeting other folks interested in SPA. John let me fly his Tower Kaos and I thought it flew fantastic!

One thing I must say, John Palestro has really gone out of his way to get things going for us. I cannot say enough about the effort and time he has put into our chapter, and personally I am very greatful for his enthusiam and support for our chapter. John's efforts have been the reason the ball has started to roll with our chapter. The fly in in Staten Island was a great time. I was able to meet others in John's club and found them to be a great bunch of guys to fly with.

Now that spring is here and the flying season getting started I am looking forward to getting out to other SPA events in our region. If anyone wants to get in touch with me please feel free to do so anytime with any questions you may have.
Until then take it easy,
Jim
Wow! Sorry to hear of your life issues Jim. It sounds like you've "landed" back on your feet though. I too work in the aerospace industry (OEM engine overhaul), and we too have had a turndown in our workload.

Like WEDJ mentions, we look forward to having you guys come down to our get together on 5/31, rain date 6/1. The more the merrier!

FB
Old 05-11-2008, 01:34 PM
JPal101

HI Guys

Exactly where is your field for the 5/31 event. Directions from Staten Island?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM
WEDJ

ORIGINAL: JPal101

HI Guys

Exactly where is your field for the 5/31 event. Directions from Staten Island?
Here you go

http://www.ccrcclub.org/Home/Field/t...3/Default.aspx
Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM
73driver

Hey Everyone!
Well this weekend I had a trip that took me to CT. I was able to drive up to the CCRC site and got to check it out today. Although I it was windy and no one was flying today I left in a pretty foul mood. The reason is because I have to work on the 31st of May and won't be able to make it up to the contest (unless the rain date happens!). The flying site in Conneticut is really fantastic! It looks to be one of the finest flying sites around and I am really bummed about not be able to head up there on the 31.

Additionally anyone who does go there I am sure will have a great time. One thing I noticed about driving up there from New Haven is that Ct is certainly one of the most scenic states to drive through. I am not wishing for rain by no means on the 31st, but would certainly love the opportunity to fly on the rain date.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] for any information, comments ideas and what not. I hope all that attend the Ct meet have a great time!

Jim
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM
WEDJ

Jim.

Thanks for calling me today. I enjoyed the conversation.

Nic
Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Free Bird

Hey Everyone!
Well this weekend I had a trip that took me to CT. I was able to drive up to the CCRC site and got to check it out today. Although I it was windy and no one was flying today I left in a pretty foul mood. The reason is because I have to work on the 31st of May and won't be able to make it up to the contest (unless the rain date happens!). The flying site in Conneticut is really fantastic! It looks to be one of the finest flying sites around and I am really bummed about not be able to head up there on the 31.

Additionally anyone who does go there I am sure will have a great time. One thing I noticed about driving up there from New Haven is that Ct is certainly one of the most scenic states to drive through. I am not wishing for rain by no means on the 31st, but would certainly love the opportunity to fly on the rain date.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] for any information, comments ideas and what not. I hope all that attend the Ct meet have a great time!

Jim
Thanks for the kind remarks Jim! You're welcome to fly at our site anytime you're in the area, just drop me a PM.

What time were you there? I was at the field at around 12:30 and was there for about an hour. There were a couple of guys flying, and while it was windy, the wind was right down the runway. I'm very sorry to have missed you! Please share you ideas, I'd like to hear them!

OK, while on the subject of this event. This is not an offical contest. More over, it will be more of a workshop to hone/develop skills, train judges (for those interested) and to explain the maneuver schedules and maneuver placement. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure can use the help of others to critique my flying, and this event is just for that reason. We are also using this event to gage SPA interest, as I'd like to host a full-blown event down the road.

All are invited on Saturday May 31 (rain date Sunday 6/1) at the CCRCC club field in Farmington, CT. Club website is ccrcclub.org for directions. You do not need to be an SPA member, nor do you need an SPA legal model (would be nice to have though!), you only need to have an interest in these very cool classic pattern ships and the desire to share the passion and delight you can only find with these birds.

As 73driver mentioned, we have a nice site with lots of room. I certainly hope to see you guys out there!

FB
Old 05-18-2008, 07:41 PM
73driver

I had driven bt about 3pm, like I said it is truly a flying to be admired!
Jim
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Yogi
My Feedback: (2)

Hi there FreeBird, We will be at your get together on the 31st. I'll be with Mark and Rob hope to have a good time with all. I just finished a CG Skylark 56 MKII ARF and have only had it up to the Salem field once so far and of course 10 to 20mph crosswinds made for some interesting trim flights. Havent flown pattern since 1995 so to say the least the rust is a little thick. Going to get up to the Salem field this weekend and get in some flying with the boys. Here are a couple of pics of the new girl. BCNU Yogi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65574.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	952830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66840.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	952831  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
WEDJ

Hi Yogi,

When were you planning on being at Salem? Ethan and I would like to meet up with you.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Yogi:

Looks real nice guy. Had the Trudy out at Salem last week for a couple quick flights. At least I can do ups and downs. Neal Young was right "Rust never sleeps".

Rob's Kaos is running good and nic's got a good flying Sr Falcon. With FB's crew it should be a good weekend.

Good Flying.

Peace

Mark O
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Yogi
My Feedback: (2)

I am shooting for Saturday afternoon to start with the weather report so far is looking very promising. I should be there around 2:00pm or so. BCNU Yogi
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Free Bird

Very cool guys!! What time on Saturday? I'd like to join you guys!!

FB
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
WEDJ

2.00 sounds good to me. Come on down, Rick.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Free Bird

I'll try to be there!!!

FB
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

It's now a sticky.
Let me know of interest or meets in the greater Washington DC area.
Bill
Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
JPal101

Free Bird

I cannot find the directions on your web site, How do I get there from Staten Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.