Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

In-Flight Mixture Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:34 AM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In-Flight Mixture Control

In searching for engines to power ballistic type planes w/ tuned pipes, I've noticed one hardware item that was popular back in the '80's the seems to have disappeared, and that is in-flight mixture control. Piped engines seem to operate in a narrower and more variable mixture range, and it's great to be able to reach down on the tx and tweak it without having to land. In a contest, a lean run can leave you with the choice of aborting the flight/round or risking destruction of an expensive piston/sleeve combo. I've purchased a couple of used Rossi's on Ebay just to get the mixture control carbs. Seems like this would be a good accessory for someone with a machine shop to offer, but there is none that I'm aware of. Anyone know of a source?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: In-Flight Mixture Control

the novarossi that i was asking about has an inflight mixture control. sounds nice, but i'm not near enough accomplished of a pilot to tell the difference right now.

david
Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used them when first starting out in pattern. Seemed to make a lot of sense to avoid a lean run. I stopped using them as I became more experienced. I found that I never touched it in flight and the added couple of ounces were not needed.

Stuart
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All major engine makers in the late 70's - 80's offered inflight mixture control for their engines. I had OS, OPS, Rossi engines with aux mixture control. A lot of marine race engines had the same mix controls. As for a universal mixture control I have never seen one (to many different carbs), but you if you know anyone with a large colection of RCM mags look through as I remember someone offering a inj/mix control for engines.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Here's one from OS:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCN51&P=ML

"Fits the following O.S. Max carburetors; 2D, 4D, 4E, 6B, 7D, 7L, 86, FS-70S, FS-91S, FS-120S-E and FS-120S-SP
Note: This also works with the OS MAX 140RX engine (70A carb)."

The 86 is the carb on the pumped SF and RF. It would probably fit the Hanno, too. But, at $31 it's a little steep.

David

Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Dean Pappas

If you are looking for a universal item, Perry/Varsane sell one.
best regards,
Dean Pappas
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM
RCDENT

Thanks guys. I'm going to order the O.S. one for sure. Seems like locally, I remember using one of the very early Futaba micro servos so the weight penalty was insignificant.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Steve25

Hello,

I believe Webra has those as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a serious competitor back then, and never used one. Conservative needle settings on the ground are all that's needed. If there is a problem in-flight (like the fuel tubing springs a leak, making the engine lean out) just kill the engine and come in. I never thought the extra complexity was worth it.

However, they do work well. For those who renmember the NorthEast crew, Art, Lance & Jeff used them on their EU1-As
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Bootalini

I ran mixture control on my Webra Dynamix carbs. I got rid of it after a season or so as it was more of a pain than anything. I was running a Perry pump to the carb so once you set the needle on the ground, I never really had to change the mixture while in the air.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone has one for sale for $10 on RC Groups
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862115
Stuart
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 AM
RCDENT

I remember the O.S. part worked very well. Never really seemed "complex" as the linkage was just like the throttle. Maybe the rock bands of the '60's, un-muffled model airplane motors, and high speed dental drills took a toll on my hearing, as I never seemed to have the best "ear" for setting the needle. At any rate, it always seemed like a nice convenience and even a safety factor, as you could tweak it without having to reach anywhere near the prop. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Dewey
Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Lsellos
My Feedback: (1)

Hi
I am also in need to buy one for my 61 rossi
If you find a extra one let me know
Thanks
Leo
Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCDENT,

In-Flight Mixture Control ?

I think we must talk about:

In flight mixture adjustment!

The picture is of my Webra Speed with mixture adjustment by radio control used for a tuned pipe.
My problem is with this system it is possible leaning an engine without knowing the temperatuur.

For the normal exhaust I prefere a pressure controller on the fue linlet of my carburator (like a Cline but I use my own design). and also a pressure controller and exhaust checkvalve on the fueltank. Both of these controllers I use to get a mixture as constant as possible.
A Cline you can buy.

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45218.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1065942  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cees,

now that's what would, on that side of the pond, be referred to as "splitting hairs" - control, adjustment... a matter of semantics . They both mean the same thing in this context .

I never used them (although I have it on an identical Webra w/ Dynamix carb) but it strikes me as though you would want to set the "max lean" point to still be a tad rich when run static. Once in the air, unloaded, the engine picks up a few RPM's leaning out the mixture. The adjustment then allows you to richen slightly to prevent over-revving. Dunno, it strikes me as important to be able to get the engine on the pipe when static and not figure it out in the air.

David.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

doxilia, i would get ready for a load of proof as to how and why you are wrong. and in broken english so you will have no idea whether you are really right or wrong. i learned a while back to not question at all. i just avoid the situation entirely. (trying to be diplomatic)

david
Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 PM
doxilia

He, he...

No worries. If I'm going to put my finger in it, I'll take the heat. [8D]

Honestly, Cees strikes me as a great guy and offers insightful and helpful comments on various threads I've seen. He also takes the time to work up elaborate sketches on things to explain his point. Finally, I'm grateful for the diversity of modellers present on RCU and appreciate the different backgrounds and cultures present. I think RCU would be a lesser place if it weren't for the broad scope it offers. I read and occasionally participate in some of the foreign language (i.e., less universal) forums on other sites and the perspectives can sometimes be a little culturally skewed which sometimes diminishes the content.

I guess the different backgrounds and cultures concept reminds me a bit of events recently transpired just south of the border... . Some will be happy, others won't but in any event, it will be interesting to witness what some might describe as a fundamental paradigm shift [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 11-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Taurus Flyer

Both Davids,

I do not exact understand your posts but I think so maybe I give a wrong response, but let me give a reaction,
I am triggered by: "splitting hairs" - control, adjustment... a matter of semantics

My profession is an instrumentation and control engineer for more than 40 years and my job is to design industrial installations and factories.
In my profession I can speak about control a mixtures ratio (but also speed or temperature) when I can measure it. So measure the physical quantity of both air and fuel.
Only when I can measure these , I can create a correcting element and feedback in a control loop, so servo or valve to keep my mixture ratio (or speed of temperature) constant and /or on the setpoint that I want on that moment.

When I have a mixture (ratio) control I would be happy, because this really would prevent my engine for overheating.

Because it is too complicate to measure the air and fuel flows with high accuracy I use pressure control on fuel inlet of the engine and tank, and temperature detection and guarding on the engine.
When thinking in this direction and making my equipment it is clear for me and so I speak about remote adjustment of the mixtures ratio on my Webra.

Of course, to keep a mixture ratio CONSTANT it is not necessary to use a controller, dosing is also a method and that’s injection, but in that case watch the temperature to check the dosing..

If I am wrong and/or stubborn with this kind of formulating I do not exact know, but it makes it clear for myself. And do not worry I like every reaction and it’s my way of posting the facts.
So do not make a hot item of it, from this moment you know what I mean and there is not a discussion about how it works.

BTW there are people with planes with electrical propulsion! With a speed controller inside? Not for me, it is a VSD Variable speed drive.

Using the adjustment under loading conditions is clear David One, in the air with a resopipe but I think that’s not the discussion.

Cees
Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
doxilia

Cees,

I understand where you're coming from. No one is really taking issue. Being fluent in other languages, I'm familiar with the common, yet typically incorrect, literal translations we sometimes use. This is particularly so with the English language.

All I meant to emphasize is that, in English, in this context, a "flight mixture control" or a "flight mixture adjustment" would be understood to mean the same thing.

I suspect that many modelers (including myself), particularly in this forum, have similar professional backgrounds to yours so we understand each other.

Now..., let's see a model with such a carburetor fixture in operation!

Cheers, David.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Taurus Flyer

David

That's right,
I don't need(levalve) it.
Look at my thread about the : Redesign and recon........

I am also interested if anybody still uses this system.

Cees
Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer
My profession is an instrumentation and control engineer for more than 40 years and my job is to design industrial installations and factories.
That's interesting, Cees! Now that I know we are of the same age I did the math and found that you must have managed becoming an engineer at age 15, ten years earlier than I (1976). You must be one of those legendary engineers being in demand by all employers: not older than 25 and at least 10 years work experience.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Taurus Flyer

Hello Ustik.

Maybe,
In 1966 I did start my education on a steel factory, theoretical and practising in instrumentation but also making my first money with that. first diploma's in 1968, age of 17 as instrumentation engineer. In that period I already finished my working 3 channel first tip tip equipment with Metz servo's . Soon after that the proportionals and first fuel pressure controllers but also variometers for gliders.

I did combine work and study many years after that.
Wanted? Not only than, still in this period now on my age of 57 years!! Last project a wastewater threatment plant in Kazachstan!.

Cees
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
WEDJ

Since we're talking professions, my BS is in Eng'g physics (1972). I've spent my career involved with selling and spec'ing industrial sensors for automated equipment.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Taurus Flyer

But WEDJ,

You must have the sensors for us. For our fuel ratio controller.
So a fuel flow transmitter and an airflow transmitter,
Supply voltage 5 VDC
Rangeability 1 : 100
Ranges to discus about, depending on the engine

I am making a joke, but interesting, nearly the same profession.

Cees
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
WEDJ

Actually, I work now for Contrinex, a Swiss Company. We make Inductive, photoelecric and ultrasonic sensors, primarily on/off, a few analog devices. www.contrinex.com

Yes, when I saw what you do, I almost laughed. It explains your instrumented Taurus, a marvel of engineering and ideas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.