Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ASHEVILLE SPA CONTEST

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ASHEVILLE SPA CONTEST

Announcing the 3rd "Land of the Sky" SPA contest scheduled for July 12-13 in Asheville, NC. This gives you plenty of time to make your travel plans

The first two were fun, and more-fun. This one promises to be the best yet, (I hope), but we need your support. Great views are the backdrop for this contest in the cool(er) NC mountains while flying with the greatest group of flyers you'll ever want to compete against.

Friday July 11th my wife and I will be hosting a get-together at our home for everyone to socialize and get to know one-another. That way when we concentrate on "business" Saturday and Sunday, everybody will be on a first name basis if they weren't already. The pre-contest food and fellowship is a must if you're coming, it's worth coming the evening before the contest, (limited to contestants, wives, and club helpers; please RSVP when you register).

We are particularly rolling out the welcome mat for SPA pilots from the new chapters, and interested pilots in eastern NC, Virginia, and the surrounding area who have not yet attended an official contest. Please contact me with any questions you might have. I know there is a little hesitation sometimes to drive all that way if you don't know everyone, but I think you'll leave, (as many others have in the past), with the feeling it was well worth the effort.

See the SPA website www.seniorpattern.com to download a flyer, and get directions.

Hope to see you there. I will have more details as the date grows closer, so stay tuned. For field information, the club's website is www.abaeromodelers.org

Duane Wilson (Kingaltair)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
patternflyer76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASHEVILLE SPA CONTEST

This will be a great Contest. Duane is right about the exceptional backdrop of the mountains. This will be my home field so you guys better practice. I would love to see the Novice class so close that six different pilots win a 1000 point round each. That would be some great flying. I Hope to see many of you make it up to Asheville.

Kevin Clark (patternflyer76)
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: patternflyer76

This will be a great Contest. Duane is right about the exceptional backdrop of the mountains. This will be my home field so you guys better practice.

Kevin

I have a better idea......how 'bout we tie a bowling ball to your Intruder. That ought to even things up somewhat, but you'd probably still be hard to beat.

All kidding aside, Kevin is one of the young newbies discovering SPA this season. Once people come out and give it a try, everything about the contest, (even practice) seems fun, and they are "hooked"-but it's a "good hooked".

I know the picture I just received of my plane at a contest doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about, but I think the picture is cool, and I want you to see it.

Duane
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
EpoweredRC

Those are great pictures, Hey Kevin, Didn't get to say bye to you Sunday, But congrats on the win, and good luck at the next event, maybe I will see you at Hodges in Aug, if you make it. ( if I make it)

BTW, this is the SPA Electric Flyer newbie.

Chris
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
patternflyer76

Chris, you should try and make it up to Asheville next month. Lots of great people and it will be a lot cooler than it was in GA. There is many great sites to see as well. If I don't see you in July I'll see you in Hodges. Thanks for the congrats.[8D]

(Patternflyer76) Kevin Clark
Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 AM
EpoweredRC

just a bump for this great event next month.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
kingaltair

There are folks from Virginia and elsewhere in the Carolinas I expected to hear from, but haven't yet[]. This is your chance to experience an official, sanctioned SPA contest.

I know gas is high, but you only live once. Who knows, we may very well NOT HAVE an Asheville contest next year [X(]if we don't get the support THIS year. We don't want the coverage area to shrink, but if the interest isn't there, it would be best to hold a contest in a new area that wants it, (there can only be so many contests a year).

I'd like this to be the largest, and best contest yet. CHECK IT OUT -REGISTER SOON www.seniorpattern.com
CONTEST>2008 CONTEST CALENDAR

Duane
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that I am one of the VA guys that you are speaking of. Currently I have nothing flyable for a SPA event. I have plenty of kits, just no time to work on them.
I have not given up yet though.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: JeffH

I know that I am one of the VA guys that you are speaking of. Currently I have nothing flyable for a SPA event. I have plenty of kits, just no time to work on them.
I have not given up yet though.

Jeff
Yes you were the particular one I had in mind. I talked to someone who knew you, (sorry can't remember his name), at the VR/CS fly-in in Raleigh in May. He had a recovered Tower Kaos that looked quite nice. You could either get one of those or a WM Intruder, (or even a WM T-34 which flys great, but enlarge the rudder), and easily be ready to go.

Hope you make it.

Duane
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I know my cousin was there. He was flying the RC ringmaster. I will be at that field this weekend for their IMAA fly-in. If you make it, look for the Wilga.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 AM
EpoweredRC

I hope you have a great turn out at this event Duane ,I will not be thier as don't have the extra cash. But hope lots of others show up I know a few from PCMA who will be going.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
airbusdrvr

How many are signed up for the Asheville SPA event? Just curious. I will be in Asheville during the event time and plan to come visit.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: avlwilsons

ORIGINAL: patternflyer76

This will be a great Contest. Duane is right about the exceptional backdrop of the mountains. This will be my home field so you guys better practice.

Kevin

I have a better idea......how 'bout we tie a bowling ball to your Intruder. That ought to even things up somewhat, but you'd probably still be hard to beat.

All kidding aside, Kevin is one of the young newbies discovering SPA this season. Once people come out and give it a try, everything about the contest, (even practice) seems fun, and they are "hooked"-but it's a "good hooked".

I know the picture I just received of my plane at a contest doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about, but I think the picture is cool, and I want you to see it.

Duane

Dang it, Duane, that is a beautiful model. I've got half a dozen pattern ships to build or assemble, but you're getting me interested in the King Altair. My wife will hold this against you, you know... <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 AM
patternflyer76

Ed

I have been trying to order two of the King Altair from Home and Hobby Solutions, but I was told it would be 4 to 6 weeks before another run of the kit would be ready. I have reserved two full kits, one for me and one for my dad. Hopefully I'll have my old dad competing again next year. I am obsessed with the plane myself. I had the chance to fly Duane's KA and it flies very graceful with a .91 4S. It has a very consistent speed throughout.

I believe I'm going to make mine a tail dragger. (save weight). Absolute all around beautiful ship.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 AM
airbusdrvr

There hasn't been much activity on this thread lately. Just curious if the event has enough interest to take place. Does anyone have the street address of the site? I've got the driving directions from the Asheville Aeromodeler's website, would just like to enter it in my GPS.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Just curious if the event has enough interest to take place. Does anyone have the street address of the site? I've got the driving directions from the Asheville Aeromodeler's website, would just like to enter it in my GPS.
The contest is definitely going to take place. We have 21 pilots registered as of this minute, (more than last year), and it isn't uncommon for several more last-minute entries.

Again, we are putting out the "welcome mat" for new pilots from the area to come join us and give SPA a try. This is our third year, and hopefully will be our best contest yet. I just finalized the raffle prizes:

1) Choice of Homeandhobbysolutions kits, (Taurus, Kwik Fly, and King Altair)
2) B&P Magnum heavy duty starter
3) 2-Radio South Mk III glow drivers, (top of the line with lights)

Go to the SPA web site:

www.seniorpattern.com >CONTESTS>CONTEST CALENDAR, and click on the registration tab for the ASHEVILLE CONTEST. There are also tabs to download a flyer, map directions, and GPS coordinates for the contest.

Airbusdriver....If you are in the Asheville area, please feel free to come by the house to have dinner and meet everyone the Friday evening before the contest, (July 11thplease RSVP). This social gathering has become its own event, and was one of the first pre-contest get-togethers associated with an SPA contest. It is a chance for people to relax the night before.

Anybody who has been toying with the idea of seeing what SPA is like...this is your chance. SPA contest locations change from year to year, so there is no guarantee we will host an event next year, so come on over.

Duane
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
kingaltair

Well, the ASHEVILLE, NC contest is history. Just thought I'd include one picture.

The latest SPA contest was held at our home field in Asheville, NC. I was co-CD, (or CD-helper). Thought you might want to see a picture. In case you haven't seen what Jeff from Home & Hobby Solutions looks like, he is 3rd from the left, back row. I'm on the right side back row 2nd from the right, with SPA president Bruce Underwood with the glass case in his pocket. This picture was taken at the Pre-contest cookout and get-together at my house the Friday evening before the contest. There were a number of pilots that came after the picture was taken, and others that we met at the contest itself. My wife and hostess is sitting on the chair on the right. I could go person-by-person through each one in the picture, but unless you're an SPA member, or have joined the SPA Discussion List, you haven't had the pleasure of meeting them yet. Hope you will some day.

There is a very nice write-up of the event and some pictures on the SPA website, www.seniorpattern.com. Go to the CONTESTS tab and click on CONTEST RESULTS. Other pictures will become available over the next few days.

Until next time......whenever it may be

KEEP PRACTICING!!!

Duane

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72002.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	990417  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
EpoweredRC

Glad you had a good turn out, I read it in the SPA site little ago, lots of good pictures, and wow you really know how to have a feast, I hate I missed that Low country boil and all the great folks.