Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Hanno Special info required

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
rodders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanno Special info required

Hello,
I have got the chance to buy a used Hanno Special and was wondering what would be a fair price for one with a pipe and header?
Also what new engines are roughly the same for performance ie Rossi, NovaRossi etc and how much can I get those for?.
I dont want to get carried away paying silly money for an old engine when I could probably just buy a new one with warranty for similar money.

What is the issue with Hanno cylinder corrosions? Are all Mks of the Hanno affected?
Rodders,
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hanno Special info required

150 TO 400 DEPENDING ON THE TIME ON IT.

GARY
Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Here is a thread with a great deal of info about the Hanno engine.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6745987/tm.htm

a Fair Price?
I won't really say a price. That's too much of a personal decision. If your looking for a "good deal" I'd imagine you may want to look at the Rossi's ect.

Sellers are currently getting pretty close to the original retail price of the Hanno for a really nice or NIB engine. I have personally paid between $150 and $305 for my used engines. Then I have another couple of hundred in rebuilding each one which would realistically put me at $350 - $500 per engine (that's engine only..so add another $150 for a pipe and $40 or so for a header)

As far as I know the cylinder liner peeling issue included both the MKI and MKII engines. There is apparently no way to tell which liners peeled and which didn't. I've had one peeling liner and three "flaking" liners in my purchase of seven OS RF-P engines (4 Hanno's and 3 std RF-P's). I'm replacing all of them with the Shadel/Nelson AAC piston & liner assemblies. I personally won't run any of my engines anymore till I've replaced it's piston & liner.

My opinion is the Hanno is a classic engine. I've elected to spend way too much money in an effort to restore my engines to a point I feel they will run reliably and hopefully last me a while. It was a personal decision for me to go this route. I have allot of time invested in rebuilding the engines. I will treat them with the respect they deserve.

It would have probably made more sense to buy new (todays technology) engines from a financial standpoint.

These are just my opinions.

Good Luck with your decisions.

Chuck

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Perfectly put Atlanta60.

DM
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
rodders

Thanks everone,
I am a bit concerned about the level of liner damage (4 out of 7 for Atlanta 60).
I have seen the Novarossi 60 brand new with header/pipe at Planet Hobby for second Hanno prices !
Can you identify the corrosion just by taking the head off or looking into the exhaust port?
What is the price of a liner?
I will have to think about it a while and maybe someone else will stump up and buy the Hanno and force me to get the Rossi.
Rodders