Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2609

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

If you like your Taurus Texas sized, go here. 260586871816

That tailwheel set-up is just a cryin' shame.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK.....it's Time

This thread started two years ago with the announcement of Ed's personal Taurus going on the auction block. What started as a simple announcement turned into a long-term study of Ed, and the Taurus, (and it's offspring such as the Simla).

It occurred to me that more people than just us on this thread should know about Ed and his contributions to modeling, so I took it upon myself to write and submit an article to Model Aviation magazine that summarizes this thread, and highlights the modeling career and model designs of Ed Kazmirski. I wanted as many people as possible to know the early history of RC pattern and Ed's role in it, and I hope people, (regardless of their age and time in RC modeling) will know more about pattern's "golden age" because of the article.

Model Aviation originally only wanted 400 words for their "In the Air" section. After a little lobbying to editor Michael Ramsey, he agreed to accept the full article some months ago. It will appear in the AUGUST issue of Model Aviation . Michael chose the simple title "KAZ", and I agreed.

Ed was RC pattern's, (and RC in general) first "superstar" in the truest sense of the word. He traveled the world promoting RC and pattern, was on TV, wrote articles, and even demonstrated RC at major league baseball games. The story of how the Taurus came about from early prototypes to Ed's large-scale Simla, is an interesting one...I hope more people will try out this wonderful plane and discover that it not only can fly pattern, but makes a great sport plane...even a low wing trainer due to its qualities as a slower-flying, very stable aircraft that is nearly impossible to stall.

There was a certain amout of controversey contained within the thread as we "haggled" about which Taurus was the oldest, and exactly when the Taurus was designed. The controversey was purposely de-emphasized in my article...I wanted to focus on Ed and the Taurus, not on our little squabbles. I even believe that Cees Wester from the Netherlands would enjoy this article since it puts the spotlight on Ed and his Taurus where it belongs.

There has been a "core group" of contributors from around the world, (you know who you are), who have greatly contributed to the information found (like little gems) within the thread. This same core group came together to form to development group for the current "Simla project". BTW..The prototypes for the Simla kit are taking shape...there will be more about the Simla in the future.

I am very grateful to Model Aviation for publishing Ed's and the Taurus's story in an era where there seemingly isn't a great deal of interest in history, and nearly "instant" ARFs rule the flight lines. The days of "seat of your pants" design, and beautifully hand-crafted from "scratch" models seem to have nearly disappeared, but maybe there will be a resurgance of interest as people develop a sense of modeling history.

I hope you enjoy the article....it should be in your hands in the next couple weeks...

Duane Wilson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yay Duane, go that man! Yep, I'm waiting, both for the article (with piccies?) and one of those Simla kit/plan pacs...when they are available, of course. My thanks to all your hard work.
    Evan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Simla kit and plan - would be interesting to build one whenit is released. I have a Top Flite Orion and Taurus already so a Simla would be nice tobuild and fly.

/Bo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had four days off last week, and a major project was construction of the left wing panel. After the four days the panel was nearly completed...for me 4 days for a wing panel is fast, (especially considering one panel is 49 inches long). There is still a lot to do, but now all the main components are either completed or are well on their way. Only the fuselage needs to be finished and shaped.

I'd like to remind everyone that this is the first time Jeff has had to completely engineer a kit from the plans up, and I'm pleased to say the parts have fit very well, and the kit goes together smoothly.

We are hoping for a first flight sometime in August. I'll post a picture later.

Duane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz80118.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	1467266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx73780.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1467267  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The pictures above are of the left plug-in wing panel from the Simla prototype kit. Notice the spars show the weight in grams. Because the engine is side-mounted, I put the heaviest wing pieces from the kit on the left wing panel to lessen the amount of weight that will have to be added later to balance laterally.

On this model a carbon-fiber wing tube was used. Ed's original arrangement for his plug-in wings was an aluminum plug in the wing held tightly by a solid maple block in the fuselage with a slit, and bolts to hold things together. It is hoped that using modern building methods, (that Ed would use if he were building it now), will save some weight. You can bet that Ed's balsa selection was crucial when building his original Simla; we didn't have wood quite as light for our kit prototypes.

The "light" right panel weighs 1lb 1.4oz, and the left panel weighs 1lb 2.5oz

A 1/4" nylon bolt will hold each wing panel to the fuselage, (see the bolt holding to the jig). There are 17 ribs placed roughly 3" apart. The first few ribs supporting the landing gear are 1/16 ply or balsa/ply combinations. The ply ribs had lightening holes cut in them after te fact. The kit ribs will probably have the holes pre-cut.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am very grateful to Model Aviation for publishing Ed's and the Taurus's story in an era where there seemingly isn't a great deal of interest in history, and nearly "instant" ARFs rule the flight lines. The days of "seat of your pants" design, and beautifully hand-crafted from "scratch" models seem to have nearly disappeared, but maybe there will be a resurgance of interest as people develop a sense of modeling history.

I hope you enjoy the article....it should be in your hands in the next couple weeks...

I hope everyone sees the article in the new August Model Aviation based on this thread. I hope you enjoy it, and I welcome comments. Hopefully new information first-hand accounts, and pictures will come out of this effort, as Ed Kazmirski is presented to a new generation of modelers, and the old generation is motivated to look through their archives of pictures for something useful to the knowledge base contained here.

RC pattern is now old enough to have its own history of colorful characters and aircraft designs. Let's talk about it here.
    Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received my Model Aviation, today, and it brought back so many memories of my childhood.
    I thought ED , "Kaz" murski was just too cool for school! He had that hair, and those way cool RayBan's. I was 8 in 63 and had just moved with my Army family to Italy. We had no TV, and I read and read many things. My Dad had been involved in RC for a couple of years and I remember that just making a successful flight was something to be proud of! And aerobatics have always inriqued me..

The bunny rabbit on the tail of the plane is a "Playboy Bunny" sticker, the Men's magazine....I couldn't read past page 10 of the thread without jumping past the rest. Sewing hinges was common, they work great!

Watching that film of the '63 Internats was funny, Man I thought those guys flew better than that! But , then I remember the radios they were using and guess they did pretty good.
    Back on the earlier pages there was a question about what they thought was a piece of tape on the tail under the stab., That could be a door or hatch cut in the tail for an earlier design "Esacpemant" radio....I remember my Dad's earliest radios had "Galloping Ghost" escapements radios, and you needed a way to get to the rubberbands strung down the fuselage that powered the "servos".

SUPER ARTICLE, Duane, Man it was a great read!!!
    Chuck Carter AMA 94730 IMAA 3631 Clipped wing Coupe Brotherhood member #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job on the article. I'm just one of the guys who has sat and watched this all unfold. I saw that Taurus show up on Ebay, my wife didn't think it was such a big deal. Obviously, she was wrong. My favorite part of the article was the thought that the Pusher still may be out there somewhere. I would like to see more of you guys out there flying these planes on Youtube. I have a Taurus, Orion and another Taurus. How about more footage for us guys who are just sitting back and watching. Great article in MA. Maybe it will provide more contributers and the whereabouts of that PUSHER.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Duane, Great Job. Superb article in August "Model Aviation" The era of Kazmirski, Jim Kirkland, Tom Brett, Harold De Bolt and others was the Golden Era of modern day aerobatics. You have helped capture a beautiful segment of that time. I was very fortunate to be with many of these notable pilot's at the "Detroit Invitational" in 1963, 64 and 65. If some of the people reading these tributes to Duane for his EXCELLENT "KAZ" article have not requested a FREE DVD from me, I am still sending them out to who ever wants one. All I ask for, is the cost of the shipping to you. You determine that cost after you receive the DVD. I will need your shipping address. Again, Duane, Great Job and thanks to your dedication to this GREAT HOBBY. Col. Chuck Winter

Name:	Us53861.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	1472946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82642.jpg 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	1472947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg98876.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	700.8 KB 
ID:	1472948  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, for those who have not seen Chuck's DVD, it is tremendous to see vintage home movies of the great pattern pioneers of RC. It is also so "cool" to see the planes actually "fire-up" and fly...I'm so used to seeing still pictures. These home movies are RARE glimpses of that time. To think that these guys actually did fun events like "combat" and "limbo" with their now "classic" planes is interesting to watch.

I had a little trouble convincing Model Aviation editor Michael Ramsey of the need to do an article based on vintage pattern, and the evolution of the Taurus. If you enjoyed the article, why not drop a quick note or e-mail to Michael telling him of your interest; it is the only way he can judge the level of interest out there in "R/C Land."

Thanks everyone for the notes, and this was the thread that inspired it. I "double-dawg dare you" to reread it again from the beginning.

BTW-There is a magical time in the building of a balsa model when the boxy awkward-looking fuselage becomes transformed into something that looks like an airplane. That day is the day the rough sanding is done, and all those balsa blocks take on the shape of a model. Such was the case over this past weekend with my SIMLA prototype. The photos will show for sure, but I think we have a real beautiful airplane coming together that accurately re-creates Ed's Simla.

The nose of the Simla is open on one side and the bottom...a fact I didn't even notice for a long time. We debated among ourselves whether of not we should leave it open like Ed did, or enclose the nose. At least two of us have opted to do it like Ed with the open nose section. Now that I've done it that way, I love the way everything is open and accessible. I'll post a picture later.

We are in the "home-stretch" now.

Name:	Gd93658.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	1473596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lh18285.jpg 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1473597  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PM sent Charles.
    hook

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SIMLA UPDATE:

The Simla(s) constructon is on the "home stretch", and are almost to the point where the plane can be put together and compared to all the existing photos for accuracy. We recently ran into a small snag in the form of a descrepancy in the angles of the vertical fin that led me to modify the fin I have already built to increase the rudder hinge angle, (that's what prototypes are for). Fin height appears to be accurate.

This part of the plane is not displayed well in the photos, (see attachment), and we will probably never have a precise measurement of the various fin angles, but we've taken some new measurements and think we are getting much closer. The new fin is much improved...the difference being easy to see. Since we don't know the exact angles, two of us have decided to try two different rudder hinge angles, and compare to the photos later. This will give us a very good approximation for the final Simla plan when it is "tweaked" later before making it available.

The rest of the model is looking very good compared to the photos to the best of our knowledge. We may be able to post a pre-covering photo soon.

Duane

Name:	Li21155.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	1478979  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to step back in time a bit, don't know if these photos have been here before, but a couple of interesting looks, the shortish bloke with the tranny is Doc Brooke, the really young guy kneeling by the Orion is a well known pattern Champ, and I believe the piccies date from 1963 when Doc was at the World Champs in Belgium. The Taurus is really interesting, it looks a bit short and tall to be a Top Flite version, but looks really close to my 'PCM' version. Just how far did those original Taurus drawings get?
    Evan.

Name:	Ay75600.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	1482393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70695.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	1482394  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Just to step back in time a bit, don't know if these photos have been here before, but a couple of interesting looks, the shortish bloke with the tranny is Doc Brooke, the really young guy kneeling by the Orion is a well known pattern Champ......
    Evan.
    The guy kneeling is the same guy standing in the center of the other picture, but I don't recognize him. Who is he?

If this picture was taken in Belgium in 1963, the Top Flite Taurus kit would have been out for 1/2 a year by then

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yesterday, after a weekend of mounting the fin and working on details, the first pictures of the Simla were taken in the last bit of daylight, (or as the sun was rising in NZ). The poses were intended to be similar to the now familiar poses of Kaz, (or his assistant) holding the original Simla. Other than the position of the airplane, no other similarity is intended. It was hot and especially humid, and I am considerably older, (and much more desheveled-looking) than Kaz was for his professional shoot back in 1965. My patient assistant is my wife Penny, (who happen to be about the same height as the teen-ager in Ed's photos).

After looking at these first comparison photos, I can see some immediate changes than can be made by sanding, and there will no doubt be minor design changes before the final plans are finished.

Duane

Name:	Sq45720.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1484881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23148.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	1484882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47026.jpg 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1484883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv59108.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1484884  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duane, WOW! Are you sure a .60 will fly that bird? John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TempleDude

Duane, WOW! Are you sure a .60 will fly that bird?** John
    Not totally, [8D] but a 1965 version of a .60 flew it as mentioned in the original World Engines ad. As UStik, (Burkhard) mentioned earlier in this thread, the Simla "flies on its wings." Burkhard, if you are "out there" please comment on how the Simla flies in your simulations on a .60 and .90.

I am using an OS .91 2-stroke in my prototype which is interchangable with the .60 mounting hole-wise. Plans are to start on the .90, then try the .60 later when it is fully trimmed. It doesn't show in the pictures, but when setting up the landing gear, I am allowing enough ground clearance, (by using a "leggy" Intruder L.G.), to handle a 15X8 APC prop, which is shortest diameter prop recommended for the .91 OS. To clear the firewall, you have to use an exhaust extendor; interestingly, when side-mounting an engine on my Taurus I need the same thing.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fin looks to be far too thick when compared to the original in the pic. Nice job though, can't wait to get my mitts on one!

FB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for being the first to find fault...I'm sure you won't be the last. Seriously though, give us a break, and wait at least until it's painted, then we'll see. Remember...THIS IS A PROTOTYPE!! [8D] Also remember there is no side view, and camera angles complicate getting the exact shape. When everything is completed, the pictures will be shot as closely as possible to Ed's originals, and each will be studied to see where changes might be required in the final plan.

The fin frame is built from 3/4" stock. It is that thick at the base, and is tricky to build, (probably the hardest part for me), since it needs to be tapered in two directions, (lots of sanding), and it's hard to know exactly how much. The tail is not all that visible in the original pictures, so everything is an experiment. It is hard to know exactly what airfoil shape Ed used for the fin.

We were learning building techniques on the fin as we went along...my fin was rebuilt twice, once early on, then later when I decided to change the rudder hinge angle, and make a minor change to the fin shape.

We are still studying the rudder hinge angle; it has been placed anywhere from under 50-degrees to 60-degrees, (probably it should be closer to 60). Mine happens to be about 53*. There is variation among the prototypes in certain areas to see which plane gives the best look in different places.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How it flies with a .60? Great!

You guys won't believe me, but I'll tell you, anyway. Remember, Simla is a slow-flying, lightweight model. It's just the big Taurus, same wing loading (a bit over 18). Other than Taurus, it has even higher aspect ratio (8.25) so low induced drag. That's why it gets by with a .60 engine. Remember also that those .60 engines were lightweight (13 or 14 oz). They had not more than 1 hp but at quite low rpm (11000 to 12500) with decent torque, similar to today's four-strokes. For the simulated Simla, I assumed a late-60s/early-70s .60 with 1.25 hp giving a thrust/weight ratio of still only 0.5 (10.4 lbs weight).

That's quite unusual today but was rather normal back then. Simla is a slick airplane and easily goes through all maneuvers with a momentum. To gain that momentum, Ed used an 11x8 prop, a high-pitch prop. A bit more thrust would have been useless because you don't get not nearly a 1.0 thrust/weight ratio, anyway. So it's better to use the scarce engine power (it was scarce) to get airspeed/momentum for patterns. The more speed the bigger the maneuvers, that's all.

For instance, loop entry speed may be 70 mph and on top of a big round loop it's still 35 mph. At bottom of that loop speed is again 70 mph, so Simla is not underpowered with 1.25 hp. A .90 two-stroke will be brute force for the model. Even a .90 four-stroke gives 1.1 thrust/weight ratio with a big, low-pitch prop. That makes for a completely different flying style as patterns are flown slower (less than 60 mph), the prop pulling the model where you point it.

As to Simla's geometry, there are many things looking unlike they really are. Look at the top view detail, you'll see a rather thick fin compared to the thinner but still rounded dorsal fin. All pictures show a quite thick, airfoiled fin. As to the rudder hinge angle, I think 45 degrees is still a reasonable value. Just hold a set square in front of that notorious side view picture, but allow for both a horizontal and vertical viewing angle (azimuth/elevation). By the way, do you measure the angle from vertical or horizontal?

Great job, Duane!

P.S.: Try these links to a simulator video: 27 MB avi or 18 MB wmv with annotations. RCU Video is full, so just a download from my server. Hope it works; if not, download (right click) and play locally. Disregard my flying, pay attention to Simla's flight characteristics. Just an impression...

Name:	Mj24458.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	1485172  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, yes, I am looking forward to this thing...
    The old piccies, Duane, the young fella's name is Wolfgang Matt, probably the most consistent Pattern flyer since the game began. I thought UStick might have spotted it, but as we know, the history in your own back yard is much less interesting than the other guys...must get back to work.
    Evan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha ha, Evan. I thought it's W. Matt but I'm not sure and I didn't think the Orion and Taurus were his models. Again not sure, but the pics seem to be shot in England. Would you leave us in the dark about that and the other people (H. Brooks?)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After a preliminary comparison of the prototype to Ed's pictures, I did some additional sanding in an attempt to maximize a more slender, less Taurus-like nose section. Sanding is limited by the width of the firewall, and I've pretty much removed all excess wood from the sides, from the top, and a little from the bottom. The final nose section will be a bit more slender.

I don't know what Ed did, but we created two hatches...one for fuel tank access, and the other under the wing for radio compartment access. The firewall is reinforced on both sides by tri-stock.

Weight as seen in these pictures is 6 lbs 13 oz, with only the linkages, radio, tank, and covering to add. The original, (before the photo flood light accident), weighed in at 9-3/4 lbs according to the information-packed World Engines ad, so I'm pretty sure the final weight will be below that figure. Ed told me he actually flew his at a weight of 10-1/2 pounds since it gained 12 oz in the repair process.

One more thing. The three of us debated quite a bit about the engine compartment being so open, and whether or not we were going to build it that way. Personally I've never seen the engine compartment so exposed; it is usually cowled-in on all sides with a complete nose ring....would it look funny? Eventually at least two of us opted to build it "open" like the original to be more authentic, and true to Ed's model. Once built however, I'm finding I LOVE the engine accessibility and ease of removal etc. The "ring" on Ed's Simla goes from approximately the 10 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position.

Duane

Name:	Yw67691.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1485472  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man! I'm really digging the Simla! Can't wait for it to be available!

FB

Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast