Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 87 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2609

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: kingaltair
    ... (after all, he was the one who issued the challenge to me three years ago that if we could reconstruct Ed's Simla, he would print a construction article, so he was already indirectly involved with the project anyway).
    He did that to me more than once, Duane. It must be how he tricks us into building what we want so that he can have an article to publish.

Andy

Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

He did that to me more than once, Duane. It must be how he tricks us into building what we want so that he can have an article to publish.

Andy
    And here I thought I was the ONLY ONE. So I bet he says that to ALL the authors. Anyway it works, and that added incentive helped the project. Once I saw this picture, I knew we could do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95266.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1520399  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duane,

Wonderful work! Got to dump that ugly muffler though and go with an exhaust baffle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would love for you guys to get YOUTUBE friendly and post some videos for all of us to watch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hILLVILLE

Would love for you guys to get YOUTUBE friendly and post some videos for all of us to watch.
    There are two videos of the Taurus-2. The first was its first flight in nearly 45 yeras, and the second more of an aerobatic demonstration. You can "search" Kazmirski, or Taurus.

The Simla's first flight was less than three weeks ago, and the still photos you see here were more important for the construction article coming up. I'm sure we'll get around to a video at some point.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ooops, he's actually 20 Chris! Heand his girlfriend were comingover for dinner that afternoon! I took a few good minutes trying to figure that one out then had a few good chuckles too! Now consider that I gave up catching a Bears game to be there (no comments guys) tells you how important it was to me (and according to him!) Looking forward to next season, I''l have more time and plan to be more present.
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About three days ago I received an e-mail challenge from Simla prototype builder and original test pilot Kevin Clark for a NEW project...this time trying to create a modern 2-meter pattern plane. The idea is to design a modern plane based on Simla that would compete in traditional AMA turnaround. We like the name EK2 for the new design..adapted from Simla.

Intriguing to say the least. I suggested we conduct a spiritual meeting in an attempt to contact Ed's spirit...not really. It would be fun to dabble with. Of course it wald have Ed's "classic" color scheme.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Duane, Not a far-fetched idea at all,driving home that afternoon I thought hhhmmm, deepen and widen the nose, lengthenit too. Taper the wingLE and TE, reshape thevertical stab.......
    I say do it! But, I would consider naming her the"EKS2K11"; as in Extookeyleven (Ecstasy 11, or even 10). Hey, it's almost 11pm and I had a few Bass Ales already!
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hook57

But, I would consider naming her theΒ*''EKS2K11''; as in Extookeyleven (Ecstasy 11, or even 10).Β* Hey, it's almost 11pm and I had a few Bass Ales already!
    Mark
    ''EKS2K11''; as in Extookeyleven (Ecstasy 11, or even 10).

What....??? I don't even know why Kevin said EK2.........I'd say EK1, (for Ed Kazmirski 1)

No big rush....I've got to get my life back on track...it's "derailed" right now.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ooops, he's actually 20 Chris! HeΒ*and his girlfriend were comingΒ*over for dinner that afternoon! I took a few good minutes trying to figure that one out then had a few good chuckles too! Now consider that I gave up catching a Bears game to be there (no comments guys) tells you how important it was to me (and according to him!)Β* Looking forward to next season, I''l have more time and plan to be more present.
    Mark

Now that is really funny! I always am running into guys that are starting again, thought maybe it just didn't come up in conversation at the contest.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SIMLA UPDATE:

Everything has now been submitted to Model Aviation for a planned construction article on the Simla.

Jeff (Petroski), has been working with Michael Ramsey on the updated, and reworked final plans for Simla to be included in the article, (and getting them into the right format to print). Plans will be available from AMA after publication, with Jeff's kit in the works sometime later in the spring. We're not sure right now about which issue, but the latest I've heard is March 2011.

I'll let you know as things get for finalized.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's nice to see that the "read count" for this thread continues to grow in spite of a "lull in the action". With 99,300 +"hits", we are approaching that milestone 100,000-hit mark. The only other thread I know of in the Classic Pattern forum with that number is the Blue Angel Build ...we are in good company.

When the "Kaz" article was written, (Model Aviation, August 2010), hit count was in the lower 80,s.

Thanks for your responses, both on this forum, and in the "Aero Mail" sections of the October and November issues. I really appreciated the people who took the time to write the editor saying they enjoyed the article. It's nice to know there are a lot of people interested in the evolution of the Taurus, and the Simla project, (which dominated the thread since page 51). Interestingly, you can follow the whole project from conception to the test flights...documented in this thread from March 2009 until October of this year.

The Simla article has "taxied out" on the "runway", in "flight order" ready for its turn at "takeoff". I think it's a unique construction article because it's a real-life mystery, or puzzle that needed to be solved, and until recently, there just weren't enough "clues" available to us. Then finally, (like it was meant to be), we got our big break, and things finally started to come together. Everything, (all the clues and all the right people), had to be in place in just the right way for the dream of this plane to become reality. The reconstruction of what I believe is the very first large-scale pattern plane almost didn't happen.

Duane

Name:	Mk24877.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	1531065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34783.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1531066  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is one beautiful aircraft!!! Will you be making plans available for those of us that are not members of the AMA and do not get their magazine? Love to buy a set. Has anyone made noises about an electric conversion? Would be mighty cool for non-gasser fields. And congrats on the hit count, may this help you on the way to the milestone click.

Cheers,
    Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jazzboy

That is one beautiful aircraft!!! Will you be making plans available for those of us that are not members of the AMA and do not get their magazine? Love to buy a set. Has anyone made noises about an electric conversion? Would be mighty cool for non-gasser fields. And congrats on the hit count, may this help you on the way to the milestone click.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Thanks for the nice comments. At the time of publication you will be able to order plans from the AMA website, http://www.modelaircraft.org/, or you can wait a little while for Jeff's laser-cut kit. The main advantage of building from plans would be the careful selection of contest-grade balsa to keep her light. Mine has contest balsa for the wing tips, (and a couple other blocks), and the wing sheeting, (which is considerable).

The Simla prototype was built from a "prototype kit"...I didn't use that part of the wood. I also used a carbon fiber wing tube...(an aluminum tube will eventually be included with the kit, but I think Jeff might send you a kit w/o it if you tell him you plan to use a CF tube).

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gotta have a balsa fix. Too many arfs...I'm starting to sound like a dog :-) Can't wait and thanks for keeping something beautiful around. The designs from the sixties have an elegance that is rarely seen today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gotta have a balsa fix. Too many arfs......... Can't wait and thanks for keeping something beautiful around. The designs from the sixties have an elegance that is rarely seen today.
    I'll tell you...even with the laser kit, it took plenty of time and lots of balsa dust to build Simla. Jeff (the kit maker), used the traditional construction method of a "basic box" with hollowed balsa blocks for the top and bottom rather than use sheeted fuselage formers, (like many ARFs have). Having an orbital sander is a MUST for me to turn the square ugly box into a sleek finished model. I have a picture I'll add later that I sent in the "bundle" of photos to the editor showing how the fuselage looked before sanding.

Duane

Name:	Hf97631.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1531093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51803.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1531094  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few more construction photos. Jeff's kit was really a pleasure to build. It's nice to have all those alignment holes, and wing tube holes pre-drilled. Down and side-thrust is determined by the thin ply fuselage doublers:

Name:	Bz77313.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1531571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88697.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1531572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54080.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	1531573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki17929.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1531574  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

It's nice to see that the "read count" for this thread continues to grow in spite of a "lull in the action". ......The reconstruction of what I believe is the very first large-scale pattern plane almost didn't happen.

Duane
    Duane,
    Thanks for providing a glimps of what was; for me, it was very personal as you well know. Again, great job and thanks for allowing me to participate.
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duane,
    Thanks for providing a glimps of what was; for me, it was very personal as you well know. Again, great job and thanks for allowing me to participate.
    Mark
    We had some "crossed signals" and almost didn't get together. At one point I was sitting there in a "seedy" neighborhood in South Chicago, (with a great view of the Chicago skyline), wondering what I was going to do. If we finally hadn't made contact I never, (I mean NEVER), would have found Kickapoo Woods. Thanks for changing your plans and driving down there to meet me. It turned out to be a GREAT WEEKEND, and some of those pictures will no doubt be included in the Simla article.

Everything turned out as well or better than I had hoped. It was worth the long drive from North Carolina to Chicago, (then through Muncie on the return).

Thanks again Mark

Name:	Pm34781.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	1531637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26434.jpg 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	1531638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37314.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	1531639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85396.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1531640  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Titebond...now you're talkin'!!! Aliphatic resin glue is the only way to go on some projects. Those kit components look mighty clean.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Titebond...now you're talkin'!!! Aliphatic resin glue is the only way to go on some projects. Those kit components look mighty clean.
    Titebond...Right, but don't use it to glue the 1/16th ply doublers or it will curl them, (I did and it did). I think it's too wet. Those doublers effect the alignment of the bulkheads, (the way they fit and align), and your thrust angles, so use something else.[8D]

Yes the parts fit very well, and are very clean. Jeff did a great job with the kit.

Duane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duane,

When you put those doublers on, did you let the glue dry first and then use heat to bond them, or did you just make a wet-glue sandwich?

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Duane,

When you put those doublers on, did you let the glue dry first and then use heat to bond them, or did you just make a wet-glue sandwich?

Andy
    I think you already know the answer to that.

I only mentioned it so that others wouldn't make the same mistake. Maybe everybody else already knows.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

100,000 PLUS

Thanks Kazmirski fans

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gaye Kazmirski

As I was writing the KAZ!! article for Model Aviation magazine, (that was based on this thread), I thought it would be great to try to locate Ed's daughter, Gaye for her insight into her father's life and RC career. (For a little background, she was mentioned earlier, (I believe posts 1263 and 1266 page 51), in this thread in relationship to the auction of Ed's modeling memorabelia. Ed's personal Taurus models were the reason this thread was started back in June of 2008). At that time, (2008) I tried to contact Gaye through the auction house, but no luck.

As I said, during the Kaz article research, I tried some basic computer detective work, and finally managed to locate her, (fortunately her name was still "Kazmirski", and she was an educator with a host of published articles). Unfortunately I contacted her at her work e-mail, (which was probably not the best thing to do, but that was the one that was successful). She wrote me back a polite e-mail with a little information on what it was like to be the daughter of Ed, and gave me her home e-mail and a promise I would hear from her. I didn't. I then wrote her, (even mentioning that I could fly out to interview her, (she lives in one of my favorite cities), but never received a reply. My guess is that my means of tracking her down as a complete stranger probably didn't appeal to her, and she opted to retain her privacy, which I had to respect.

I went ahead and wrote the article the best I could, (August 2010). In October I stopped by AMA headquarters so that editor Michael Ramsey could see and fly Ed's Simla first-hand, and Michael gave me a few extra copies of the article while I was there. When I got home, since I had the extra copies, I decided to send Gaye a copy of the article feeling I had nothing to lose, and hoping she might like it. I sent it to the only address I could find for her without knowing if it was current or not. I heard nothing back, and reluctantly forgot about it, not knowing if it got to her, or what she thought of it if it did. That was mid October.

Now I'm happy to say that I received a very nice card back from Gaye, with the promise of speaking to her personally later after the holidays. It was gratifying to know that she did indeed receive the article, and liked it enough to respond back.

Not being able to successfully contact Gaye was one of the few disappointments associated with the Kaz article and Simla article projects. It's great to know that she is interested in the fact her father and his accomplishments are still being talked about by so many people. I'm not sure yet whether or not she fully appreciates the extent of this forum, that it now has had over 100,000 hits instead of 80,000, or whether she has visited RCU....I'll hopefully find that out later.

I just wanted to let Ed's fans know of Gaye's card.

Duane

Page 87 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast