Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scaled Tiporare Plans

Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
dfturnock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scaled Tiporare Plans

Thanks, RogueDog...

I agree. I already did the Curare and SS2 Short Kits, and have started on the Magic. That is why I decided on the Curare as the pattern. After all, the Tipo was patterned after the Curare, so it just makes sense. I really didin't like the angled former in the Fin, I liked the horizontal 'rib' idea better,like a vast majority of the built up stabs out there. It will use one of the 2....

don @ eurekaaircraft.com

Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Roguedog

Hey Don. I just got the SS2 and Compensator from you. Can I be put on a Emailing list or something? I really would like a Magic 60 when it's available.

By luck I was able to purchase a prestine MK Magic 20 for a OS Max 25 VF-DF I have. Problem is it was designed for side exhaust not rear. Bummer. I guess it was designed for novice class pattern where you had to use stock exhaust, no pipe.

I was able to get a MK Skymaster 20 plan from Aurora 60. I was thinking of using it as a guide to convert the Magic 20 to rear exhaust. Both real cool looking planes. I really dig the way the scoop looks on the both of them.

Bryan

Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stiletto,

that is positively brilliant! Why couldn't I think of that!?

Two things: an integral fin and assymetric scaling. Skewed assymetric scaling in fact...

One of the things that was bothering me about these plans was that the reduced scale versions (as well as the Merare 120) had spans that made sense from a surface area and model weight/power plant standpoint but the fuses I had issue with.

All the fuses seemed a touch on the small side and it was progressively worse as you went down in scale. There have been discussions about widening the bodies in order to accommodate the innards better - allow an easier install of engines and nose gear as well as the radio gear. After all the fuse, by design, is quite narrow.

Based on your idea to scale the fuse and wing differently in order to have a more "modern" square 2m pattern aircraft - much like today's widebody models - here's what I've come up with:

Keeping the wing span scalings per the plans posted above (and downloaded by several people), I asymmetrically skewed the scalings for the fuses. It will be more obvious what I mean by skewed asymmetric by looking at the figures below:

Picorare 40" Span (~5% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Wing Scaling Factor, Sw = 40"/65" = 61.5385 %
[*] Resulting Fuse scale = Sw x 55" = 33.8"
[*] Fuse Scaling Factor, Sf = 1.50"/2.25" = 66.6* % (recursive)
[*] New fuse scale = Sf x 55" = 36.7"
[*] New dimensions: Wing = 40" / Fuse = 36.7" / Spinner = 1.50" (exact) / Mains = 1.50" / Nose = 1.25"
[/ul]
The ~5% asymmetry comes from the difference of the fuse (66.7%) and wing scalings (61.5%). I'll get to the advantages of such a scaling shortly (to some it may be obvious).

Nanorare 48" Span (~4% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Wing Scaling Factor, Sw = 48"/65" = 73.8462 %
[*] Resulting Fuse scale = Sw x 55" = 40.6"
[*] Fuse Scaling Factor, Sf = 1.75"/2.25" = 77.7* % (recursive)
[*] New fuse scale = Sf x 55" = 42.8"
[*] New dimensions: Wing = 48" / Fuse = 42.8" / Spinner = 1.75" (exact) / Mains = 1.75" / Nose = 1.50"
[/ul]

Mirare 56" Span (<3% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Wing Scaling Factor, Sw = 56"/65" = 86.1538 %
[*] Resulting Fuse scale = Sw x 55" = 47.4"
[*] Fuse Scaling Factor, Sf = 2.00"/2.25" = 88.8* % (recursive)
[*] New fuse scale = Sf x 55" = 48.9"
[*] New dimensions: Wing = 56" / Fuse = 48.9" / Spinner = 2.00" (exact) / Mains = 2.00" / Nose = 1.75"
[/ul]

Tiporare 50 (~1.5% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Note that a 50 size Tiporare would have about 1.5% asymmetry
[/ul]

Tiporare 65" Span (0% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Dimensions: Wing = 65" / Fuse = 55" / Spinner = 2.25" (exact) / Mains = 2.25" / Nose = 2.00"
[/ul]

Merare 72" Span (~0.5% asymmetry)
[ul][*] Wing Scaling Factor, Sw = 72"/65" = 110.7692 %
[*] Resulting Fuse scale = Sw x 55" = 60.9"
[*] Fuse Scaling Factor, Sf = 2.50"/2.25" = 111.1* % (recursive)
[*] New fuse scale = Sf x 55" = 61.1"
[*] New dimensions: Wing = 72" / Fuse = 61.1" / Spinner = 2.50" (exact) / Mains = 2.50" / Nose = 2.25"
[/ul]
Note the skewness (non-linear, if you will) of the asymmetric scalings - as the scale departs further from the original the asymetry increases.

The beauty of this approach, using fuses that are non equally scaled wrt the wings, is that several things get sorted out nicely:
[ul][*] The fuses have increasingly wider formers wrt the 60 size as one goes down in scale.[*] The fuses can now accommodate engines, nose gear and radio gear more easily.[*] The fuses are scaled to taper into the correct standard spinner size exactly.[*] The fuses should allow longer gear legs, due to the longer nose moment, allowing the use of longer props.[*] The fuses have increasingly longer tail moments as the scale reduces. In order to maximize this, wings would be installed flush with the LE of the wing saddle against F2 (F1 is the firewall - these can also be referred to as FW, FA and FB, as per the plans). The wing saddles would have to be adjusted for the "smaller" (and shorter root chord) airfoils by moving the saddle TE forward thus increasing the tail moment.
[/ul]
This approach has the interesting ramification that as the models get smaller, the nose and tail moment increases which should provide for a smoother aircraft with the more "nervous" smaller sizes. Compared to today's squarer designs, the models of the '80's had relatively short tail moments and it should be interesting to see what improvements, if any, would result from this approach. The changes to Dick's design based on the above would also imply of CG location shift and would have to be carefully assessed before flying the models.

If there's an interest, I could assemble composite plans ("shorter" wings and stabs would be inserted into the new "fuse scale" plans), for each scale, and make them available as an option for those who'd like to give these designs a try.

I'm almost certain I'll be using the new Nanorare fuse scalings for my builds on this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8070218/tm.htm

I'll throw my 2c comments on the integral fin concept (very nice Stiletto!) in a following post.

Whew! I'm glad to have gotten that down for reference.

David.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 PM
dfturnock

Ok, after getting some family issues up north taken care of, here are the 4 fin ribs for the .60 tipo. This is what will be in the short kit, and all but the smallest scaled down. Need to decide at what size a sanded slab is easier.

top : 1-13/16" long, 3/8" back, 1/2" front.
middle : 5.5" long, 3/8" back, 13/16" front
bottom : 8-13/16" long, 3/8" back, 1-1/16" front

front: 9" long, 1/2" top, 1-1/16" bottom

'Middle' rib is a horizontal rib centered verticaly between top and bottom.

Sizes are figured on 1/16" sheeting, and the fuse sides forced to be straight behing former 'B', as per plans. If sides are left to their own devices, 3/32" sheeting, and sanding to shape would be advisable.

Make a small triangle shaped piece where 'bottom' and 'front' join, using the plans, to help get angle right when building.

LE is made from 1" balsa as on the plans.

These fit great on the fuse I built up. Sizes take into consideration necessary bevel sanded on ends.

Hope this helps.

Scaled foam wings and short kits will be available ASAP... Former A , B, and firewall will have to be wider on scaled down versions. Input on widths from the scratch builders who have started would be appreciated.

Don @ eurekaaircraft.com

Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM
dfturnock

Forgot this

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46829.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1068889  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
doxilia

This is great stuff Don!

I look forward to further news on the short kits.

Regarding the additional width on the formers, well, it strikes me as a bit subjective. However, one thing to keep in mind is the thrust line to fuse side distance in order to insure the exhaust clears the fuse side for your average engine at that scale. My post above suggesting an assymetric approach to the fuses on glow powered models is something that might be worth thinking about.

As an example, for the Nanorare, of which I will be building one each of glow and electric, I'm planning on using the assymetric approach for the glow version, to allow more room for the engine, and a straight plans scale for the electric. In fact, for the electric the FW can be moved forward for simpler outrunner installation and additional nose retract clearance.

The internal width difference between the plans scale (74%) and the widebody Nanorare (78%) at bulkhead A is of 7% - the former is 2", the latter is 2.14" - sightly over 1/8". I would think that this sort of percentage in the "additional width" to the formers should take care of most building complications.

David.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 PM
doxilia

If someone would like a set of wing and stab foam cores for any of the scaled Tiporare's in this thread, please have a look at this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8219986/tm.htm

Thanks, David.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
dfturnock

After some delay (sorry about that ) the scaled Tipo short kits are being added to the EAC site.

The 120 size is up, and the smaller ones will be added shortly, including an ~125% (80" IMAA Legal) Tipo, with a sheeted foam turtledeck, so less carving! If you want even larger, let me know.

They will be offered with either stock width formers, or 10% wider formers for easier engine mounting. This should keep everyone happy, I hope. If you want the wings a bit longer, that can also be arranged.

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/tiporare.htm

Don @ eurekaaircraft.com

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
doxilia

Great news Don!

Please put me on your list for a Nanorare short kit when its available.

Nice move on the 80" version. Is this a span dimension or a fuse length dimension? (Mmm... must be span if its 125%.) Regarding the foam turtle deck, is it possible to extend this concept to the front part of the fuse to make the "canopy" removable (at 111% and above)?

Also, you mention longer wings, is it possible to cut them to a slightly thinner airfoil but wider (~10%) rather than longer? Say a 48" span with a 10.75" root chord and equivalent increase in tip chord (~6.80 in) to keep the planform constant?

Looking forward. Thanks, David.

P.S. If you'd like me to provide you with 10 and 20 size retract sizes, I can do that.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
dfturnock

David,

Yeah, I was figuring something like that for the front top also, With a canopy, so a cockpit could be cut into the foam part is desired. I wasn't doing it on the 120, but I could offer it. The 80"+ wing thing will be pretty cool. I am doing the Banshee and the Mach one along with the Tipo to start with, then who knows which other ones.

The .10 and .20 might have a slab fin, not sure about the stab yet.

I am also about done with CAD plans for the TIPO.. I'll put them up when done. That would make scaling much better. The problem that delayed the short kits was wood sizes, and their effect on fuse side size, etc. When scaled, the top blocks aren't standard sizes, nor are the tri stock, so they end up either shorter in height, (so the outline isn't to scale) or taller, and need more carving. Redoing the wood sizes, and altering the fuse side sizes to keep the ouline where it should be, is what I am doing. I hope this explanation makes sense.

I wasn't happy with simply scaling the parts, that is what delayed doing the short kits. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. I have standards to keep up.

If you have the dimensions for the other size retracts, I could include the cut blocks.

Changing the wing sizes presents more issues. When you change anything like chord or thickness, That causes the wing opening in the fues to no longer match, etc. I'd rather keep the wing the same, but lengthen it when cutting if a customer requests. I would keep the tip the same, which would slighly change the tapers when cut. Or I could leave the tapers the same, and just cut it longer, which would reduce the tip chord. All of it is easy to do with the CNC wing cutter. Changing the fuse cutout for the wing when changes are made is another story.

Oh yeah, one other thing. All of the Tipo wings and stabs will now be full foam wings, i.e.: they will extend to the TE, so the ailerons/elevators will be cut from them after sheeting, by far the best way to do it. If you want to use a standard wood TE, simlply cut off the foam you don't want before sheeting. This way it keeps tries to keep everybody happy.

I'll keep you all informed.

Don @ EurekaAircraft.com
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
doxilia

Excellent, I'll await further news.

David.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

I've been following your scaled Tipo threads with interest. Have there been any small Tipo's finished and flying? I ran across the scaled tipo drawings on a "Trenton Flyers"(?) website a long time ago and got an idea that I couldn't shake.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but if you take the 60 size dwg and reduce it to 50% it puts it smack into 1/2a - speed 400 territory. It also makes it extremely easy to build because 1/2" plank becomes 1/4", 16th sheet becomes 1/32nd, etc, etc. There is also a "Simple" wing solution - A three piece ACE foam wing ala Mach None. The 5.5" root cord is roughly 50% of the Tipo 60 and with the right cut on the center section I can match the Tipo's double taper almost exactly. Sure it's semi symmetrical but at this scale lets face it, it's a sport plane. So wish me luck! I've just ordered a set of striaght and tapered Ace replicas from McClain Wing Cores, a set of micro air retracts from United Hobbies and I have a Scorpion HK series motor just waiting for something like this. When I start cutting wood I'll post a build thread. Search under… Tiporare-E!

EDH

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
doxilia

Hi Ed,

well, there good news and better news!

First, the good news. I'm glad that you've found the little Tipo's interesting. Inever went as far as reducing to 50% (32-1/2" span) even though, as you say, this makes for a nice 1/2A model and scales everything nicely (wood size wise).It's worth mentioning though that the Picorare (61% scale) with a 40" span produces a slightly larger model (a little easier to work with and fly) and the wood sizing can still be used in the 50% scale range without affecting the layout (more on this in the next post).

You might enjoy reading Mark's Min-E Curare thread. He had a pretty similar idea but of course around the Curare design. Here's his thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002432

As you'll see, he has a nice sequence of pictures along with his CAD drawn plans. He's also since built a 50%EU-1 which was auctioned toward a good cause. Here's a picture of his finished Curar-E.

David.

Name:	Om33082.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1218767  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
doxilia

As far as the better news goes... Ifinally started on my 40" span Pico!

Alcarafa (RCU ID) was perhaps the first one to adopt this little model (that I'm aware of) and build one around a Magnum 15 with a Mac's 2.5cc TP. Acording to all comments, he really enjoyed this little rocket. Ibelieve two or three were built and flown by fellow modelers of his club. Rafa did an excellent job on the Pico, but he made some changes in the tail section (much like Mark did) making his empennage from sheet balsa (he also made a built up balsa wing). While this is perfectly acceptable at these scales, I personally like the idea of keeping to the plans and building a true mini Tipo. So,... that's exactly what I'm doing. Unfortunately, Rafa's Pico met an untimely demise due to a DX7 Tx failure. Iunderstand he's now building another one which will be electric.

Like Mark, I decided to build the Pico around a simple concept. Iwas planning on using three servos, no landing gear, a 28-35-1500 KV motor (AXI has a nice one but I'll be going a cheaper route with Dualsky - CDN$44 quoted this morning) and a 2100 3s lipo on an 8x6 or 9x5 folding prop. Power should be in the 250-300W range . I've since re-considered and may use two servos in the wing center section on torque rods to allow independed flaperon control. I may also install some landing gear blocks in the wing and a 1/2A nose gear mount on the FW in the event Idecide to put some wheels on it (unlikely).

The motor I've chosen is part of a new series of motors being produced by a number of manufacturers (Dualsky, AXI, Hyperion) intended for power gliders and small aerobatic aircraft . Note that this is a long can 28mm OD motor which complements these models perfectly as it allows the use of short standoffs and fits nicely in the nose of the Pico. More common similar powered motors are also available in the 35-30-1500 dimensions (a little heavier) but can't be fit unless the fuse is widened to around 20% from F3 forward. I've widened mine to 10% which brings the forward dimensions to a nice profile for 1.5" spinners.

Attached are a few snaps of my Pico in progress. The foam core wing and stab are finished (have to join the wing and install the servos) and weigh 1 and 5.5 oz respectively (my similar sized Deception wing w/ retracts and belly pan weighs 10 oz ). Rudder was built up per plans and fin assembly has been cut and is ready to be built once the fuse is assembled. The fuse sides have also been cut and I've lightened them where I've used 1/64" ply doublers. I'm in need of a nice piece of light 1/4"for the fuse top and bottom front sections and some tri stock to assemble the fuse. Ihave to bore out my formers as well which are made of 1/8" ply (FW) and 1/16" ply (nose ring, F2 & F3). The wing will be supported by two dowels in the front going into F2 and backed by a piece of 1/2" tri stock and two nylon screws in the back on either side of the torque rods. The canopy will be made removable on the angled front via two small dowles into the nose ring back and held down by magnets on the top 1/4" sheet at the fuse top. Servos will be laid out according to the sketch below.

Ihope you enjoy the pics and happy building!

Ed, Ilook forward to following your thread.

David.

Name:	Ca81092.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1218801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62596.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1218802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98746.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1218803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63059.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1218804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53344.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1218805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc49458.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1218806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60938.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1218807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy82509.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1218808  

Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
doxilia

As a reminder to anyone interested in this thread and/or planning to build a small (or big!) Tipo. I can provide foam cores for any of the scaled plans in this thread (10 through 120). See the following thread for details:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82.../anchor/tm.htm

Thanks, David.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Wow that 1/2 size Curare is sharp. Could possibly make me reconsider on the Tipo. The nose is much more electric motor friendly and I wouldn't have to worry about fues tucks. What to do?? For this size model the glued on wing is the way to go for weight, strength and simplicity. But that's going to require a pretty exotic canopy / hatch for the battery on the Tipo. I was also planning a hand toss model but once I saw those micro air retracts on UH I had to try them. If I can't get them shoe horned in it was only 60 bucks. Plus the problem with no landing gear in the Phx area is you're limited to city parks and school yards (both are varying degrees of illegal depending on the local rules). All the AMA flying fields are dirt/rocks or pavement. Ouch...

Looks like you've got a good start on your Pico! Keep on it. I admire Mark's ability to stay on task... it's inspiring.

EDH

Old 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
doxilia

The simplicity of Mark's model defies what lies underneath. If you look at his build and the plans, you'll see that it is actually somewhat tricky to build. That's the beauty of the Tipo - it is simple (famous last words). There is also no clear canopy to deal with and there is less "block shaping" involved. Basically, if you can get your head around the fin and canopy, the rest is straight forward.

Ithink it would be quite doable to extend the removable portion of the fuse top. However, at 50% scale, it would also be a simple matter of putting a dowel in front and a single 10-32 nylon screw in back and make the wing removable. Weight difference would be marginal.

The side tucks, among other things, are what make the Tipo cool! A little sandpaper on a wooden dowel goes a long way on models this size.

The retracts would definitely be cool too. At 50% one just has to watch the weight carefully.

David.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 AM
alcarafa

David I knew you would not resist on building a PICO  soon and not finish the other projects you where working at  !!!!!

Your building looks great and neat, only thing I would ' ve avoid is the lite hole behind TE, unless there is ply up to that area.

You are going to love this lil missile and will sure be amazed how well it flies, please keep posting pics and update comments.

Congratulations, now finish this one pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 AM
doxilia

He, he...

All things in good time. Iguess Ineed the diversity to keep me motivated. The build of the model will be finished but I'll have to wait for a motor, ESC, props, servos and covering to arrive. What might take the longest is the motor as Iplaced it on special order (got two - couldn't help it). These new motors are still in fairly short supply. I could have gone with an AXI or a Hyperion but in the spirit of keeping this one simple (i.e., inexpensive), Idecided to go with a Dualsky. The motors retail for $44 Canadian (~$38US).

Power should be around 22A x 10V = 220W mean and 30A x 10V = 300W peak. The 6 turn version has a 1460 kV rating. I'll have to find out whether to spin an APC8x6E or an APC 9x5F (folding). The latter might make more sense at the expense of a little speed. Ijust hope the the prop hub fits in the 1.5"spinner!

You might find these motors quite interesting for 15 size builds. Attached is an Excel spreadsheet (save as .xls) with all their motor specs.

Ithought about the hole behind the TE and in the end decided that the triangle stock and fuse top/bottom would be beefy enough to keep the fuse rear stiff. If Ifind it is too flexy, Ican always put a 1/16" cross grain doubler on the inside. This would make things stiffer at the same weight. Ialso plan to put a piece of triangle behind F3 and infront of F2 to re-inforce the bottom on landings.

But, I will not go an ounce over 33 on this one. My decision is firm and Ithink I can do it. Got a nice piece of 1/4" this afternoon.

David.

Name:	Fd91580.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1219200  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Rp43980.txt (134.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you want higher Kv motors.  If using 3S (typical for this size) then you'll need a big prop and have all the gyroscopic fun it brings.  Move up to 2000-2200Kv and you'll be much better off.

Andy
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the spreadsheet, the 2834CA-6 - the one Dave ordered - has the highest kv rating.

I know next to nothing about E-power, but aren't Inrunners typically available with higher kv ratings? A while back I researched motors for a possible TD .051 equivalent. The motors that seemed to be intended for spinning small props, like the APC 5.7x3, above 20,000rpm were all Inrunners. I cringed at the idea of an Outrunner spinning an 8x6 or 9x4 on a 1/2A model. I guess I was locked into the glow mentality, because that just seemed unnatural.

David
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
doxilia

Gents,

thanks for your input.

As far as the motor goes, this will be a bit of an experiment. You'll notice that this motor has the dimensions of an inrunner (long and narrow) which was ideal for the Pico. In the spirit of keeping things simple, I also wanted to be able to use the hardware that came with the motor for mounting purposes - a standard FW mount without having to go to separate mounts or a nose ring mount. 15 size models seem to be the turning point for being able to switch from an inrunner (1/2A) to an outrunner.

Were this model glow powered, it would probably spin either a 7" or 8"prop (10 or 15 size engine) so I looked for a motor that would do something similar on 3s. Based on electric calculations, this motor has maximum efficiency on an APC 7x4SF prop and starts pulling amps (~22A) on a CAM7x6, APC 8x3.8SF, GWS 8x4.3 and CAM 8x6F.

On an APC 8x6E it drops to 92.5% etamax but hits close to 28A and 308W (nominal). The APC 8x6 should spin at ~11,250 rpm which keeps the turns at a reasonable figure for eventual folding props. The equivalent APC 8x6SF loads up the motor a little more to an almost even 30A and 330W @ ~10,900 rpm. Based on Andy's experience, I understand that the model should fly nicely in the 200-250W range (1/3 hp).

With that in mind, it should be doable to spin an 8" prop and perhaps even an 8" folding prop depending on how light Ican keep the model. An 8" prop seems like the natural choice for the Pico (at least to my mind).

Finally, I learned that it is possible to also use helicopter wound outrunners with KV ratings in the 2000+. These motors would spin, expectedly, 5"or 6" props in the realm of 1/2A rpm's but that would limit the options of folding props and would produce noise levels higher than desired.

We'll see how it goes.

David.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
AndyKunz

What's the logic behind a folder?  When landing, you want the prop spinning for maximum drag.  Believe me!

You're right on heli motors.

It'll be interesting to see your results.

Andy
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
doxilia

Andy,

the logic would be no landing gear! That's why there are no retracts on this one - just a mini pattern plane to be hand launched and grass landed.

Wish me luck!

David.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM
AndyKunz

I also fly Speed 400 pylon racers.  APC 4.75x4.75.  Not a folder.  Works great.

My Parkzone Corsair doesn't have gear, haven't lost a prop on landing yet that I recall.

With a nitro plane you would have set the compression to have a horizontal prop when landing.  With an electric, there is no compression so the prop gets out of the way really nicely when landing.

Ask Mark Rittinger.  You don't need a folder.

Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.